Seven Network - Programs and Schedules

South Korea is UTC +9.
We will be UTC +11 EDT at the time of the Winter Olympics, so very similar.

I’d expect MKR to start the night after the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics; Monday 26th February and be a shorter season yes, perhaps with no secret round this time around and just the two groups, 12 contestants; the formula that made MKR so successful in the beginning before the producers got too carried away with making the series too long. Speaking of which, what will happen with H&A? Will it go on hiatus during the Winter Olympics & the Commonwealth Games. It is due to things like this that I really think H&A should go to 7Two once and for all so it can be on every weeknight for the 46 weeks of the year it is scheduled to be on for without any interruptions like it gets on the main channel, such as the Olympics like this.

The last time the Commonwealth Games were held in Australia, it was still a (mostly) five channel world.

But Digital TV and online streaming has evolved in leaps and bounds since then, so I’d definitely expect Rio 2016-style coverage across Seven, 7TWO, 7mate and Plus7 live streaming for GC2018.

2 Likes

If that’s a reference to Australia pulling out of the Commonwealth if we become a republic (if that’s what you meant??), that is not necessarily what will happen. There are republics in the Commonwealth, so Australia could stay a member and still host the games in future.

2 Likes

Thanks MBB :slight_smile:

My post however, was more so referring to the Winter Olympics.

Comm Games will of course be enormous, will it prove as popular as 2006 though I wonder?

Chicago Fire - Season 5

From Wednesday 30 August at 10:30pm

From renowned, Emmy Award-winning executive producer Dick Wolf (“Law & Order” brand) and creators Derek Haas and Michael Brandt, the writing team behind “3:10 to Yuma,” comes the highoctane drama “Chicago Fire,” – an edge-of-your-seat view into the lives of everyday heroes committed to one of America’s noblest professions. For the firefighters, rescue squad and paramedics of Chicago Firehouse 51, no occupation is more stressful or dangerous, yet so rewarding and exhilarating. These courageous men and women are among the elite who forge headfirst into danger when everyone else is running the other way and whose actions make the difference between life and death.

The pressure to perform on such a high level has a way of taking a personal toll, sometimes putting team members from the Truck and the specially-trained Rescue Squad at odds with each other. Despite any differences, this is an extended family, and when it’s “go time,” everyone inside Firehouse 51 knows no other way than to lay it all on the line for each other. When a tragedy claims one of their own, there’s plenty of guilt and blame to go around. Lt. Matthew Casey (Jesse Spencer, “House”), in charge of the Truck, tries to carry on, but butts heads with the brash Lt. Kelly Severide (Taylor Kinney, “The Vampire Diaries”) of the Rescue Squad – and each blames the other for their fallen team member. Adding to the turmoil, Casey, unbeknownst to his colleagues, is in the midst of a separation from Hallie (Teri Reeves, “Three Rivers”).

1 Like

No way. It will launch straight after the Australian open

2 Likes

I do not like this idea whatsoever. So it would start for a week and then stop for 2 weeks while the Winter Olympics are on?!?! Surely the Winter Olympics would take precedence in primetime on the main channel!! I hope they don’t make this utterly stupid programming move. They can promote it to the max as Seven do during the Winter Olympics, promoting it as starting ‘Monday after the Winter Olympics’. That way it will get the attention of the masses of people who will no doubt be tuning into the Winter Olympics.

Whilst I agree Turdall, to be fair, it’s not like MKR set the world on fire over all competition (despite the wall-to-wall MKR promotion for weeks, including 2.7m viewers for the 3 hour final).

So if they were ever going to tweak the launch night, after the Winter Olympics may do something positive? Seperate it completely from Married At First Sight? More promotion during Winter Olympics?

I watch a lot of 7, but not in the last fortnight. Nothing there for me. :frowning:
I’ve been switching to Foxtel or Netflix

I’d expect MKR might still screen at 7.30 with the Winter Olympics at 8.40/9.00 each night…

3 Likes

That’s one possibility. As previously mentioned, South Korea is two hours behind AEDT, so night session at the Winter Olympics does not usually start until 9pm in Sydney and Melbourne.

1 Like

Why? The figures for Rio were fairly disappointing and the Winter Games have always been less popular here anyway (for obvious reasons).

Seven can’t afford to risk Nine getting a clear run at the beginning of the year. Q1 is crucial, plus they have the Commonwealth Games to fit in which will probably rate better anyway.

1 Like

But Nine don’t get a clear run? :thinking:

The first half is Seven’s strongest part of the ratings every year - MKR & House Rules.

1 Like

But they’re the Winter Olympics are you hearing me!! Something Seven would have paid a hell of a lot of money to obtain the rights to so they shouldn’t just neglect it and treat it as an afterthought when it comes to other programmes like MKR which aren’t as important as a sporting event that only comes around once every 4 years. MKR can wait until afterwards, I’m sure it will help them if it doesn’t start alongside MAFS/IAACGMOOH if that’s what you’re worried about.

Wow. A tad aggressive mate, don’t you think?

5 Likes

I think everyone is hearing you loud and clear. What you don’t seem to be hearing is the rational arguments as to why Seven should not just drop everything for an event that doesn’t have nearly the same cultural impact.

7 Likes

Olympics run for 2 weeks.

5 Likes

Personally, I think we’ll probably see Seven’s Winter Olympic coverage largely consist of major events (mainly the ceremonies and any events that Australians are participating in) on the main channel and lesser followed sports relegated to 7TWO, 7mate and Plus7 streaming.

Here in Australia, the Commonwealth Games will probably generate so much national interest that the rival networks will hold off launching their major programs for the 2nd quarter until after the Closing Ceremony of GC2018 in mid-late April. The Winter Olympics on the other hand? Yeah…I don’t think Nine or Ten will be as scared to air Married At First Sight and I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here! at the usual time of year in 2018.

2 Likes

They do if Seven falls flat on its face for the first three weeks of February.

Yes, a secondary event with very limited appeal in this country. They will average 500-600k tops on the main channel IMO, if not lower given the disappointing figures for Rio a year ago.

Firstly, it was a package deal and Seven’s interest was primarily in Tokyo and Rio.

Secondly, they certainly won’t be “neglecting” them. There will be extensive coverage all day/evening across at least three channels with the main channel taking a few hours out in the evening for news/entertainment programming.

How do you figure? If viewers aren’t interested in the Winter Olympics (which the vast majority won’t be) then they will obviously look at what else is on. MKR is going to struggle if it launches mid-season against MAFS which could be attracting well over 1.5m in the absence of competitive programming from Seven.

3 Likes