Seven Cricket Coverage

Poor form seven why interview a AFL player during a cricket match? I am sure there are plenty of cricket players to interview.

The Marsh connection. That said, I wonder what they’ll do differently in Sydney and Melbourne with Macaveny.

Now I understand that not all the WBBL games are being covered but I just saw that tonight’s game with the Hurricanes from Hobart won’t be covered on either Seven or Fox. They have the game this afternoon from Bellerive, so the equipment is already there and everyone is already down there, why would they choose to only do one game of the double header? 7mate could do it after the Test coverage during the news and Fox could put it on 503 again as well. I understand why games like last week were unable to be covered where there were a couple of games at West Park in Burnie where I doubt they have much in the way of media facilities but for this one where everything is already in place and they want exposure I don’t understand the reasoning.

3 Likes

Brace yourself, same again tomorrow.

On 7mate at 7pm, one of those billboard advisories with Deeksy V/O “switch now to 7” appeared.

Which was good, rather than jumping straight into the folllwing movie, as no commentator advised viewers this time (there was another one or two ‘pop up’ advisories beforehand in program too).

That got shown yesterday too.

Actually, Tim Lane did, but was a few minutes early, I flicked over and the weather report was still in progress. I’m guessing they were a few minutes behind after waiting til the end of the over before switching just after 6.

What idiots. One of the guys went to do some insight saying how bad the tail was for India. He said none had averaged over 11 when two on the screen averaged 11 point something.

According to today’s Herald Sun, Fox showed the coin toss live, but Seven delayed showing it in a bid to marry it with its own interviews with the captains.
Seven may as well show Isa Guha’s interviews with the captains as Fox now provides the world feed.

It had struck me that Seven hadn’t shown the commentary box and it’s refreshing. I feel Nine overplayed that in the last decade or so, it was reasonably rare initially.

And I do enjoy the long periods with out pointless commentary, tend to happen mostly when Lane is in the box.

As someone with access to Fox Cricket I can tell you right now that Fox is the Mercedes and Seven is the beat-up Datsun 120Y.

3 Likes

That’s nice maybe you can buy me a subscription for Christmas.

3 Likes

I had to endure some of sevens commentary at a friends place. It was hard work. Some of their commentators had no idea - it was quite annoying hearing them discuss the averages of the tail end suggesting non had an average over 11 when two players on the screen clearly had an average of over 11.

mate, at $25 a month for Kayo, it’s really becoming a good and affordable (for most) alternative.

I should probably explain what I meant - I’m not having a crack at what Seven are doing, because they’re targeting the mums and dads etc, but Fox is targeting the cricket lovers and tragics, by doing the Fox Lab and using technology like the “comet” (ball tracking to the extreme) etc.

So I was referring to the Mercedes/Datsun in regards of using bells and whistles, not the coverage in its total sum.

2 Likes

Which is what I am but do far this rights deal has seen ODIs and T20s taken away from me. So now I can’t only be a cricket lover and tragic is I pay for it? And the $25 is to watch it on my phone or computer, no thanks. Oh but I can chrome cast it, oh better spend more money buying that.

Seven’s coverage may be a Datsun, but why do you think that at is? They’re paying overs for non exclusive rights, they don’t have ads at the end of every over or at every fall of wicket, I’m sure they’d love to but hey, they can’t even get sponsor for a teapot so if course the coverage doesn’t have the bells and whistles in the way Fox’s does.

What a shame that my son won’t grow to have the same love of cricket that I did from watching hours after hours on fta tv because CA - and let’s face it the Cricketer’s Association got greedy.

3 Likes

I agree I think this is the biggest shame in it all. But it is what it is. I normally am the one who refuses to pay for something that should be broadcast on FTA but cricket is probably my favourite sport and I couldn’t not see it. I think I’m getting my money’s worth.

1 Like

I wonder if there would be so many people complaining if Seven also had the rights the One day & T20 internationals as well.

Don’t get me wrong I love the cricket being on FOX, but no FTA coverage of one day & T20 internationals just seems strange & wrong.

3 Likes

totally understand mate.

1 Like

Kayo is also available on the Apple TV and speaking as someone who has one, it’s well worth the investment for the range and depth of services you can access for it.

I’ve watched a fair bit of Seven’s coverage (as well as Fox’s) and they’ve definitely have had ads following the vast majority of overs and dismissals. Sure, there’s times where they don’t have one but Nine exercised the same discretion in choosing not to go to an ad-break sometimes.

Yes he will - there’s still a substantial amount of cricket being shown on FTA not just on Seven but Nine as well.

For some reason, people are disingenuously acting like this new broadcast arrangement is the Australian equivalent of the 2005 deal the ECB did with Sky (which completely eliminated live FTA coverage) when it’s simply not the case

Yeah - at the very least, Seven should have been allowed to show highlights of those matches

Because people hate Seven and love Nine and 10 like they are the saviour of the world.

1 Like