Seven Cricket Coverage

I’ve been watching the Fox and Seven feeds side-by-side. Seven seems to have a significant amount of control as to what they show. They regularly dip out of the Fox feed and show alternate camera angles. Usually the only time when they are exactly the same is when a ball is bowled.

I’m interested as to how they are doing it — it seems quite complicated with a seperate scoreboard and replay transitions, as well as what I assume are two sets of people controlling the same group of cameras. Surely this is just adding in unessary cost for both parties?

1 Like

They’d be two broadcast trucks with different directors it would seem. Overall fox is superior. Shame we have to pay for it.

Does seven play an opener or anything? Or just a highlights package?

Just an update on Prime7, the usual sport watermark can’t be used, because the “Live & Free” component is pasted on (fixed position) from the production (i.e.) it’d be far too big.

NB/
The same situation occured this year at another sport event, I forget which, where the Prime one was allowed to be used but couldn’t due to the fixed positioning of the add-on provided, instead using a generic “7” one, which matches the metro one.

1 Like

nice to see that Seven have not changed to the better graphics for the WBBL that are being used for the tests…

1 Like

Pretty obvious it’s two distinct brands and a somewhat different audience, hence the different approach to graphics, commentary and no doubt other aspects.

1 Like

Are Prime/GWN and SCA stations showing the score bug during the ad breaks?
What about Seven QLD?

1 Like

TAS does when it’s a sponsored ad (the Starc/Cummins/Hazlewood Domain one for eg). Doesn’t otherwise.

2 Likes

No, Prime aren’t.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Not particularly important… But Myer are the wardrobe provider for 7cricket, as mentioned by Jason Richardson in an insta post.

Interestingly, Peter Jackson have been Seven Sport’s wardrobe provider for many years.

:thinking:

5 Likes

Not sure how much cricket will played today, thunder storms are rolling across Adelaide and here most of the day.

If Fox has the old games to show what will Seven do?

In cricket we often hear about bowlers trying too hard or batters trying too hard… this is a case of Channel Seven trying too hard.

While overall I’m very impressed with the coverage (though less so with the commentary)… Channel Seven may want to tone things down a bit… this is test cricket after all… they’re not competing with the superbowl in terms of hype.

For example: Fleming doing a ‘roving Brian’ before play while the Australians were in their warm-ups for Day 2… no wonder he just got monosyllabic answers from the players… what may work in an AFL dressing room after a match doesn’t work before players are about to embark on another full day’s worth of cricket.

The Nugget segment just went over the top. With all due respect to Nugget. It was cringe material.

It’s a pity Dizzy won’t be reaming in the commentary box… he seemed to be the only one ignoring the directive to ‘over-hype everything’… good to have someone who wasn’t trying too hard.

1 Like

It’s the wrong occasion to do roving interviews. It should be recorded after the match and replayed on pre-game next morning.

Seven’s titles:

2 Likes

I’d say that Seven would be given selected old matches to show in the case of rain delays occurring, especially now that Cricket Australia have inherited Nine’s archives.

If they don’t, then they will probably show Border Security (remember Nine showing Customs and Antiques Roadshow!) or something like that. However, they could show 500 MKR promos back to back!

1 Like

Alison Mitchell is clearly the best commentator on Seven. Polished, articulate and insightful.

Tim Lane is probably the best of the Australians - good, solid, no frills ball-by-ball.

Brayshaw is the worst. Ocker, bogan, yobbo.

11 Likes

Obviously play ‘A day out with Ellyse Perry’ - which has been broadcast at least four times now…

And no doubt we’ll see it many more times again…

I enjoyed it the first time…

Yes. Tim Lane, Alison Mitchell (should even be the host instead of Mel M) Ponting and Fleming should be the main callers. James Brayshaw, Glenn McGrath and Mel McLaughlin can go away, so annoying (and in the case of McLaughlin, not very professional).

1 Like