Seven Cricket Coverage

Shit, almost sounds like 7 are commentating on the ground when they’re the host broadcaster…

1 Like

Must say that the quality of the cricket in the BBL has improved over the last week or so, no coincidence that this is linked to the return of the Australian internationals. Ratings haven’t picked up unfortunately for Channel 7 so far, only 250k for a close game yesterday suggests there’s a long way to go before audiences are enticed back.

5 Likes

Aren’t games being streamed on 7+ for the first time this season?

1 Like

No, that will have to wait until the start of the next broadcast deal, unless Seven and CA can come to an agreement for 7plus to stream matches from next summer.

3 Likes

OK, my mistake. Linear broadcast TV is dying in general though. So anyone who wants to stream BBL (legally) has to subscribe to Foxtel/Kayo?

I think that’s because of the teams involved? 7 v 8.

Sunday night game which was 1v2 got 356k

3 Likes

Remember once you include Foxtel ratings BBL is rating 800k to900k a game. Which is better than when 10 had it and equivalent to an AFL final audience.

3 Likes

Not really, if you take Stars v Heat.
267k on 7 + 172k on Fox = 439k

If you take Sunday then still not close to 800k
356k on 7 + 226k on Fox = 582k

5 Likes

Although that doesn’t include Kayo.

1 Like

Highly doubt Kayo is pulling an extra 300k above and beyond Fox and Seven.

3 Likes

Remember also that the Foxtel numbers are national rather than just metro like the Seven number. So to get the real metro number they should be reduced by about one third.

5 Likes

Today’s second women’s ODI between Australia and Pakistan in Brisbane will be shown live on 7mate from 11am AEDT, as will game 3 on Saturday.

2 Likes

No, but more to the point it’s hard to compare and draw a line under the data as being complete.

2 Likes

Fox had Tim Paine but 7 had it correct. I wonder what happened there since I assume 7 provides the graphics

5 Likes

Regardless these combined numbers still match AFL numbers so I think we need to stop referring to BBL as being a ratings flop.

Kayo numbers are strong and were included in my numbers. remember there are currently over 1.2 million active Kayo subscribers.

We need to stop just talking metro and start talking national when looking at total people or total audience. Just talking 5city metro is not accurate when we are talking about how many actually watched a program (total people). Believe it or not people do live outside of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane Perth and Adelaide and they do watch TV.

Channel 7 is available nationally. Regional networks are simply for the most part a simulcast of the metro feed. The only difference in many is a local news bulletin.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it matches the AFL numbers metro or national. maybe BBL gets within 200-250k

example:
2022 Round 23 Friday night: 484k on 7 (metro) + 229k on Fox (national) = 713k
BBL last night: 294k on 7 (metro) + 182k on Fox (national) = 476k

even with 7’s regionals added to both, I doubt BBL gets any closer to AFL numbers.

1 Like

Season averages would be a better comparison

1 Like

I was pointing out that you can’t accurately add metro numbers for Seven to national numbers for Foxtel and then compare the result to a metro number for 10. Either all metro or all national, not a combination.

The BBL numbers are not where near matching the AFL numbers.

2 Likes

The numbers I am referring to are National total people and include 5 city metro, regional, Foxtel and Kayo.

So as close as we are going to get to a true national number. These numbers match AFL typical games.