Seven Cricket Coverage

There was “overs remaining” at the bottom of the screen for at least the last hour of play. It was updated ball by ball.

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see if Melbourne-based commentators like James Brayshaw and Damien Fleming will follow the crew to Brisbane for the fourth and final test, knowing they will have to apply for a permit from Service Victoria to return home.

2 Likes

And if they apply for one now, they should receive one in time

1 Like

2020-21 Test coverage

Inspired India defies Aussie attack on Seven

The battle for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy is set for a thrilling finish after India held on for an inspirational draw in the Third Test, with the Seven Network’s live and free coverage of all five days’ play at the SCG reaching 7 million people and peaking at 1.79 million.

Seven’s coverage of the 2020-21 Australia-India Test series has reached 10 million people so far, with the teams locked at 1-1 ahead of the final Test, starting at the Gabba on Friday.

As India’s batsmen bravely defied Australia’s star-studded attack on a tense final day at the SCG, Seven recorded an average audience of 1.14 million viewers nationally for the third session and 778,000 in the capital cities. The second session had 812,000 viewers nationally and 550,000 capital-city viewers. All three sessions dominated their timeslots, ranking #1 in 25 to 54s, 16 to 39s and total people.

The total average national audience across the SCG Test was 792,000 viewers, while the capital city audience was 540,000. Both were up 21% on the 2018-19 Test between Australia and India.

BBL blockbuster on Channel 7 and 7mate

Perth Scorchers v Hobart Hurricanes, 7.00pm AEDT

The BBL action continues on Seven at 7.00pm AEDT tonight, when the Perth Scorchers and Hobart Hurricanes face off in a crucial clash at Optus Stadium.

2 Likes

Fox Cricket’s on screen graphics are far more informative.

3 Likes

Responding in here so that the ratings thread doesn’t get clogged

Think the reason why Ten were able to fully commit to their BBL coverage was because it was it’s sole focus when it came to cricket. By contrast, the BBL seems to be an ‘afterthought’ for both Seven and Fox ahead of the other formats. It’s evident by how both networks are not only calling pretty much every game off-tube this season but tend to rely heavily on their ‘secondary’ commentators/pundits for their coverage.

(BTW, welcome to Media Spy!)

6 Likes

Hand forced in many ways, though with the border uncertainties.

5 Likes

Ten had the advantage of having Gilchrist, Ponting, Waugh and Fleming all dedicated to BBL which gave the coverage some gravitas . Now they are all now calling tests leaves the ‘secondary’ commentators as the main BBL callers.

I’d like to see 7 have 2 people as the face of their BBL coverage. Someone like Brendan Julian (I know he’s at Fox) and Abbey Gelmi. Then have the likes of Brian Lara, Brendan McCullum, Kevin Peterson and Brad Hodge
A strong core group that you know some of which will be there every night that you can mix in with the test commentators.

5 Likes

Plus the simulcast takes away from the event feel of the coverage. Seven is the poor mans cricket coverage. Cheap and nasty. Unwatchable really.

2 Likes

In other words, the sky is blue and water is wet.

How Seven thinks cricket can get the same treatment as the AFL and hope that it rates the same beats me.

2 Likes

I think 7’s test coverage is actually good and way better than 9, however their BBL coverage is average if not below average. Even the graphics and score bug for BBL looks low quality

10 Likes

Not even close to how good 9s production was. 9s commentary suffered in the later years but I’d still take that in comparison to the heap of shit seven dishes up.

4 Likes

That’s purely a matter of opinion.

I find 7’s test coverage way better than latter year Channel 9 or Fox Cricket.

Their BBL coverage is a completely different beast, as it isn’t in the same league as Ten’s old broadcast.

4 Likes

Channel Nine’s Test coverage was complete garbage near the end of Brad McNamara’s tenure as EP. Brayshaw, Slater, Warne and Healy were terrible to listen to when together. It did improve slightly after McNamara departed.

Nine’s coverage was undoubtedly more polished. However, their commentary was worse than anything Seven have done so far. I prefer decent commentary rather than fancy technological innovations anyway.

8 Likes

Agreed. While the technical aspects of Nine’s cricket coverage (graphics, intros, camerawork, etc.) were still great right up to the end, the quality of their commentary had been average for years.

It’s a similar story with Nine’s NRL coverage except of course, they unfortunately still have FTA rights to that sport (hopefully this will change in the future though).

2 Likes

Cricketing legend Matthew Hayden joins Seven

Live and free coverage of the Test series decider from the Gabba

As Brisbane prepares to host the thrilling final battle for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, Queensland-born batsman and the “boy from Kingaroy”, Matthew Hayden, joins the Seven Network’s all-star commentary team for the decider in the Australia-India Test series.

One of the most dominant and decorated opening batsmen in the game’s history, Hayden amassed more than 8000 runs including 30 centuries in his illustrious career and held the world record for the highest individual score in Test cricket (380).

Fans are in for a treat with Hayden’s astute cricket insight and experience from tomorrow when he joins cricket’s #1 commentary team led by former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting alongside Indian cricketing legend and one of the game’s all-time greats Sunil Gavaskar for the winner-takes-all series finale. Australian International player and Melbourne Stars bowler Holly Ferling will also join Hayden at the ground in Brisbane.

Hayden said: “I’m thrilled to be joining the Seven commentary team and a few former teammates for what promises to be a gripping series finale between the two best teams in the world.

“The pressure is on for Australia after India’s inspired performance on a tense final day of the Pink Test. Controversies aside, Australia remains the favourite in my book, but will need to bring their best, most aggressive cricket to the Gabba. I’m expecting big things from the new pairing of Marcus Harris and David Warner at the top of the order, and if Warner can find his form early, I think he’s a real chance of a Test century.”

6 Likes

Similar to the SCG test, Seven’s coverage of the Brisbane test in WA will start on 7mate at 7am before moving to main channel at 9am, on Friday, Saturday and Tuesday. On Sunday and Monday, the cricket will be on 7TWO from 7am to 9am due to 7mate’s telecast of NFL Playoffs.

2 Likes

This seems to suggest that the broadcast team, other than Hayden and Holly Ferling, would be based off-tube. Not seen any confirmation whether they have travelled up to Brisbane from Melbourne.

1 Like

Holly Ferling is awesome!

2 Likes

Correct. According to today’s Herald Sun, Seven’s commentators will call the game from studios in Sydney and Melbourne due to border closures. The Gabba is the first match where neither Seven or Fox Cricket will have a significant at-ground presence.

1 Like