Seven AFL Coverage

During the Olympics?

4 Likes

Last year’s Round 20 match between the Western Bulldogs & North Melbourne was shown on 7mate in Victoria, while the main channel showed a replay of the Olympic Games opening ceremony.

I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

2 Likes

And it pulled in a huge share for 7mate too.

Saw it here in Melbourne tonight during My Kitchen Rules.
Seems to me the phrase “no more delayed games” only refer to matches produced by Seven. There is uproar in South Australia after The Advertiser revealed this morning that not all away games involving Crows and Power would be shown live on FTA for the first time, as the result of the new broadcast deal. It will affect three games per club annually for the next six years.
This year the following matches will be shown on Fox Footy and on delay on Seven in Adelaide (all times AEST):
Hawthorn v Adelaide (Saturday April, 1.45pm)
Gold Coast v Adelaide (Saturday April 22, 4.35pm)
Collingwood v Port Adelaide (Saturday, June 24, 1.45pm)
Carlton v Adelaide (Saturday July 1, 2.10pm)
Melbourne v Port Adelaide (Saturday July 22, 2.10pm)
Port Adelaide’s home game against North Melbourne on July 15 will also be shown on Seven on delay.
The prospect of delayed matches on FTA was a big talking point on major radio stations in Adelaide for most of the day.

1 Like

The phrase “no more delayed games” is true for the Melbourne market. Saturday afternoon games (previously aired on a 90 minute delay) will no longer be broadcast. Live coverage of VFL games will fill the gap on Saturday afternoons.

1 Like

Thats ridiculous. The latest deal is an absolute joke.

1 Like

Why should fans of SA/WA teams be entitled to live coverage of all 22 of their clubs games on FTA? Fans of Victorian teams have NEVER had this luxury.

2 Likes

Its a fair question. Seven have less games that feature interstate games and more that feature Victorian teams. I think I counted 5 games last year that were exclusive to seven involving Port Adelaide. Most of which were on Thursdays or Fridays.

how can it be exclusive to 7??? When FOX has also the live rights.

Also with the current deal. I think what should have been done with the current deal, whatever game 7 produces is what every state gets at the expense of local teams outside of VIC. Whereby, for example, if a Eagles game is exclusive on FOX Footy then WA shouldn’t get see that game.

I don’t think I need to explain what I meant. It wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Completely disagree. Teams like Gold Coast would only see one produced game a season. How is that good for building a fan base? Whereas supporters for Hawthorn would see maybe 16 games. Western australian teams have the majority of twilight matches and therefore would also be at a disadvantage.

The AFL want to build the game Australia wide not just let it become a Melbourne sport.

You are right, fans of Victorian teams never get to see all of their clubs 22 games on free to air TV every season. It’s not like every single away game involving SA teams is going to be delayed on FTA, it’s only going to be a few games a season.

1 Like

The delayed coverage is not the end of the world but all games should be on FTA tv. All victorian teams have more FTA produced games than any interstate teams.

###Undefeated AFLW teams battle it out for top spot

Saturday 4 March

The top two undefeated AFLW teams, Adelaide Crows and Brisbane Lions, clash this Saturday at Norwood Oval for an epic top spot decider three weeks out from the inaugural AFLW Grand Final.

The Crows and the Lions have both won four from four games in the 2017 AFLW season, but the strike rate will be over for one unlucky team. Last week, both teams won with clear margins as the Crows defeated the Dockers 46-23 and the Lions crushed the Giants 43-9.

In round 4, the Lions scored 13 times with six goals while the Crows scored 16 times, also with six goals. The kicking accuracy of both teams will need to be a main focus to come out victorious in what is sure to be one of the most exciting AFLW games yet.

Kate McCarthy and Kaitlyn Ashmore both kicked two goals for the Lions in round 4. McCarthy is tied third with Crows player Erin Phillips for leading goal kicker in the AFLW season, while Ashmore is improving week by week kicking her first goals last week.

Jason Bennett and Nigel Carmody will call the match with Daisy Pearce in expert commentary. Sam Lane and Alana Smith will take up field commentary bringing stories and insights from the coaches and players.

Seven will broadcast the AFLW Grand Final live and exclusive on Saturday March 25, the first weekend of the men’s competition.

Broadcast times:
Sydney 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 5.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.00pm LIVE on 7mate, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 3.30pm LIVE on 7mate

1 Like

If the game is Exclusive to Fox for SA, WA, then Seven will see the game on replay. Probably during prime time

With every Saturday afternoon produced game between 2012 & 2016 being delayed in Melbourne, what were the average ratings?

They were pretty bad, not much over 100k :confused:

I think the highest was 220k or something (which was a thriller) into 6pm.

So no wonder Seven dropped it to Foxtel, the AFL wanted fans turning up at the 'G.

Fans turning up to the ground would have nothing to do with it, it’s getting more and more expensive to get to a game these days. Plus what were you expecting from a delayed telecast when Fox had it live on 504 (Fox produced game on 503), a lot of the audience were probably at local footy and the matches that generally started were only the 5th or 6th best game of the weekend?

I bet Seven can’t wait for the AFL to start (it’s still a few weeks away) :wink:

It virtually guarentees them default big wins on Fridays and Saturdays (and Thursdays when there’s games). As well as consistent Top 5 key demos. Audiences in Melbourne usually pull around 400k on Fridays as well.

Haven’t they been winning without it anyway? Fridays have been there’s without AFL anyway…

1 Like