Seven AFL Coverage

I think Seven will air a VFL game at 2pm on Sundays whenever they have no AFL game.

6 Likes

It used to often be the Saturday afternoon game or Saturday night game that wasn’t aired, often they’d put big clashes on Sundays and was vital for Seven’s Sunday prime time lead in… Guess it shows how much things have changed and how much they prefer those Saturday prime time shares (and for the ratings week) instead.

2 Likes

That’s why I think Seven will be disadvantaged by the next AFL broadcast deal. From 2025 to 2031, all Saturday matches in the first eight rounds will be exclusive to Foxtel and Kayo except when a marquee match is held on a Saturday which will also be shown on Seven. Without the Saturday night matches, it will be harder for Seven to win a ratings week in March and April (don’t be surprised if Married at First Sight runs into 2031).

3 Likes

I know the SA and WA clubs will continue to be televised into their respective markets but will the same also apply for the NSW/QLD markets? I don’t remember reading anything about that aspect of the next broadcast deal anywhere.

Yes they will but they will also be subjected to a handful of matches on delay as per SA/WA. Previously all matches would be live.

2 Likes

Well, that’s the sacrifice they had to make I guess in order for Foxtel to be at bay to allow Seven to have proper digital (live streaming etc) rights. They’ll be hoping for some very good results on 7Plus you’d imagine.

1 Like

At the end of the day tho. 7 haven’t lost anything. They have streaming rights. They are airing the same amount of games just moved across different timeslots. Opening round adds an additional weekend plus additional Thursday nights.

3 Likes

A trick to get the other games through 7+ would be to change your location so you can stream the games through for example Adelaide for Crows games etc.

The pregame runs on 7mate beforehand for half an hour or more

1 Like

I think R1-8 will have all the delayed games (if on a Saturday) because that’s when the broadcast deal says Fox has its super Saturday exclusive. Unless Marquee match

R9-15 will have live Saturday games on 7 to WA/SA/QLD & NSW teams but no live games to VIC. Unless marquee match

R16-24 will have Saturday night games produced by 7

3 Likes

Though I would like to think that the local intrastate derbies will continue to be live, as is the case today. Or for all we know they could go on delay for the first time in a while, in order to protect gate takings.

According to the fixture posted by The Roar, Seven will be producing some Sunday 4pm games in the early part of the season (see games below). I suppose the game could start on the main channel and be moved to 7mate at 6pm, or if it’s predicted to be a close match with popular teams, Seven News could be delayed to 7pm.

• Round 1, Sun Mar 17, Port Adelaide v West Coast @ Adelaide Oval
  • Round 2, Sun Mar 24, Richmond v Port Adelaide @ MCG
  • Round 8, Sun May 05, Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn @ Marvel Stadium

I think the roar have it wrong.
Makes zero sense a 4pm start on Channel 7 Vic.

6 Likes

Yeah I did wonder if it was a mistake, didn’t seem right!

The only twilight fixture they will produce is the Good Friday clash between North Melbourne and Carlton in round three.

Also that evening, the clash between Fremantle and the Adelaide Crows will be produced by Fox, as will a round nine match between Freo and the Sydney Swans which is a Friday night match (both at Optus Stadium).

Are you talking about from 2025? AFAIK Seven don’t get the digital rights next year. The Border Security or whatever block will appear, even if changing locations if another market takes a Fox game. However, yeah, from 2025 I guess you could do that, unless Seven will be onto that and somehow prevent it.

2 Likes

I doubt Seven would care. It would be more Fox who would be losing subscribers. Seven would get more viewers/ratings for 7plus this way.

1 Like

Contract has it as 12 x 2 hour delayed games over both SA and WA and another set of 12 delayed games for NSW and QLD.

2 Likes

yeah, so what I understand it that from 2025, if there is a match that involves an interstate team in R1-8 on a Saturday it will be delayed. R8-15 Saturday will be live

1 Like

Sam Lane just said ‘Swans AFLM coach John Longmire’