Seven AFL Coverage

I could barley hear Tony Leonard on 3AW when the siren sounded too. He was drowned out by the Bulldogs theme song too.

1 Like

I didnt but then everyone was hard to hear where I was with the screaming at the screen.

1 Like

Great interview with Basil & Dennis at BCM (must’ve been recorded around 6pm on Friday, as I can see Peter Mitchell in the background).

Video from Seven News Perth on Friday:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/32785707/dennis-cometti-final-siren-sounds-on-the-voice-of-football/#page1

2 Likes

Behind the scenes on Dennis’s final call.

4 Likes

On perths TT Legend sports broadcaster dennis cometti said to reporter and wafl commentator mark readings About joining the coverage as a special comments in 2017.

1 Like

Unlikely, but hopefully Dennis can do the 7 produced Perth AFL games as well!

Was thinking about it…there were people complaining that Seven saturated the grand final with advertisements. I wonder if the AFL would “force” Seven to show the grand final ad free? FOX shows games ad free, with the only ads during pregame/postgame/between quarters/halftime.

Fox has subscriber fees that allows them to do that. Seven needs to recoup that cost somehow and given they don’t have subscribers, playing ads in game is a lucrative way to do that. They aren’t televising these games out of the good of their heart.

If AFL was to pull a stunt like that (and believe me, there is no chance), I think you’d find the amount paid for AFL rights would plummet.

7 Likes

Realistically, there’s probably more of a chance of Fox Footy being allowed to simulcast the AFL Grand Final than Seven being forced to show the game ad free.

I don’t like the idea of the Grand Final being simulcast on Fox Footy. Seven paid hundreds of millions for its share of AFL rights and deserves some exclusives in return.

2 Likes

If you go way back, Ten did air the 1989 NSWRL grand final ad free. i remember Ian Maurice making that point just before kickoff. Nine has done NRL GF’s ad free too.I just can’t think the AFL would do that, that would be a bad idea.

Im not sure what people expect. The commercial networks need to try to recoup the massive amounts of money they pay for AFL and other sports somehow

ads after a goal are a necessary evil. We are actually kind of lucky with AFL in that they have these frequent pauses in the game that allow ads to be run regularly without the viewer missing any play by play action.

Ad revenue and the ability to entice viewers to your network to watch other content, (hence all the promos of upcoming shows) are the ways to get back some cash.

5 Likes

[quote=“chrisb, post:820, topic:376, full:true”]
Im not sure what people expect. The commercial networks need to try to recoup the massive amounts of money they pay for AFL and other sports somehow

ads after a goal are a necessary evil. We are actually kind of lucky with AFL in that they have these frequent pauses in the game that allow ads to be run regularly without the viewer missing any play by play action.

Ad revenue and the ability to entice viewers to your network to watch other content, (hence all the promos of upcoming shows) are the ways to get back some cash.
[/quote]That was the good thing about Southern Cross up until a couple of years ago - they ran no ads after goals much like what Fox does. They used pop-ups for their promos that ran across the bottom half of the screen during this instead.

Another advantage back in the day when Seven used to have 1hr delays on Friday night games, is that Southern Cross took it live regardless if it was a Melbourne game.

I would much rather an ad after a goal than constant pop ups. How annoying could that potentially get?

[quote=“turdall, post:822, topic:376, full:true”]
I would much rather an ad after a goal than constant pop ups. How annoying could that potentially get?[/quote]They were annoying at first but you’d get used to it after a while (to begin with they were kinda similiar to what you currently see during Nine’s cricket coverage). I think I’d rather a 5sec worth of pop-ups rather than a 30sec or so worth of ad-breaks - at least the coverage continues and you don’t miss anything.

2 Likes

They have that light that tells them when the ad is finished. Sometimes if a goal counts and there is a free kick afterward, the umpire will tell them to wait for the ad to finish before taking the kick. There was even one time when someone jumped the ad by a few seconds and was penalized for crossing the center line before the ad was over.

I personally think Tim Lane & Anthony Hudson are the front-runners, to replace Dennis.

But if money or contract issues arise, most likely Hamish McLachlan.

It will not be Basil Zempilas or Brian Taylor.

While I’m on it, brilliant article about Tim Lane from the AFL Grand Final Record.

Talking about his career on ABC radio, ABC TV, Network Ten & Fairfax/Macquarie radio. He’s called 33 AFL/VFL Grand Finals (more than Dennis & Bruce McAvaney):

Tim Lane has called the most VFL/AFL games ever, maybe Drew Morphett(if you combine his work on Seven, ABC and 6PR) or Rex Hunt or Dennis Cometti comes close.

1 Like

Why won’t it? I would lock in Brian Taylor. Anthony Hudson is contracted to Foxtel isn’t he? So how could he be a ‘front runner’?

His contract ended at the end of this broadcast deal (i.e.) 4 days ago.

Like everyone else.