Seven AFL Coverage

Maybe Basil replaces Dennis, but i’m not sure if he would do it.
Basil has called games for 6PR(with Smokey Dawson) SEN and Seven. There was one cse his call on 6PR was relayed to 3AW, during a split round.

Seven’s AFL Grand Final delivers highest audience in a decade

Seven’s coverage of the 2016 AFL Grand Final Sydney v Western Bulldogs has amassed the highest TV ratings for the match in a decade.

The audience in metro areas was also the highest since 2006, averaging 3.039 m

In Melbourne, an average audience of 1.446 million in-home viewers watched the Bulldogs fairy tale unfold, the highest Melbourne audience since the drawn 2010 Grand Final.

In Sydney, the average audience was 44 per cent up on last year with 534,000 in-home viewers. It was the highest Sydney audience since their winning 2012 Grand Final.

Huge ratings for yesterday’s historic AFL Grand Final

2 Likes

I think Hamish will replace with Dennis on Friday night and Basil will replace Dennis on Sunday’s.

Given Hamish and Basil lose the Saturday afternoon game next year, this will mean they call the same amount of games each week as this year.

1 Like

It looks like it but Bruce didn’t do any Sunday games in 2016 did he

No, it was either Dennis, Hamish or Baz. During the Olympics, Jason Bennet filled in.

Hamish and Bas could do Sunday but who would host game day if game is out side Vic?

If Ch 7 aren’t changing their AFL commentary team, it’ll be:

•Friday: Bruce McAvaney & Hamish McLachlan
•Saturday: Brian Taylor & Luke Darcy
•Sunday: Hamish McLachlan & Basil Zempilas

No more Saturday afternoon games of course.

Bruce hasn’t done Sunday’s for a couple of years.

If the game is outside Vic, Bruce will do a Sunday game so Hamish can host Game Day.

I am a bit underwhelmed by the Grand Final figures. Thought they would be higher for a close game that involved Sydney.

1 Like

What does it take to beat Channel Ten’s 2005 grand final number given that yesterday’s Sydney v Melbourne game was not even close at 1/2 million lower? Does it have to be a NSW v WA contest?

I’m thinking Sydney vs Brisbane.

haha I don’t think so. Port Adelaide v Brisbane wasn’t quite that… I think it simply needs to be a 1 goal ball game. I know a lot of viewers tuned in at the end but perhaps not as many as that game. I think we could potentially see lower numbers in the near future if GWS features in a few premierships.

Nothing will beat the 2005 AFL GF figure.

Sydney Swans/South Melbourne had a 70+ year drought.

~1m tuned-in in Sydney.

Case closed?

Yesterday’s GF figures were the highest in a decade, beating the 2.9m from 2012 (remembering only the presentation got 3.1m then) :+1:

I don’t think that is the case. I think it always has potential to be broken as long as its an exclusive event. The AFL are doing their best to create more interest in other markets, and it seems to have worked. That Preliminary final, for example, was one of the biggest tv audiences outside a Grand Final. So I think if they can continue to build the game in NSW and fix their major problems in QLD there is a chance for that figure to be beaten. The trouble with QLD is they just expect every game to be boring as their sides keep getting beaten by big big margins. Brisbane and Gold Coast need to become more competitive.

I also think the AFL need to desperately fix the final 8 format. Too many clubs are losing interest in Round 16 when their sides have little to no chance of making the finals.

3 Likes

I like your optimism.

But yesterday was the first time in a long time, that a TV program rated 3m (metro) - two codings too.

As free TV continues to rapidly decline…

Nice to hear Ray Warren acknowledging the retired Dennis Cometti, during tonight’s NRL grand final commentary.

9 Likes

Have to agree with these points raised. And yes, something desperately needs to happen real soon to fix the mess up in Qld to get people up there interested.

What do you think of Chris Judd’s new fixture proposal?

4 Likes

Yeh I like that. I also a liked Eddies idea. But I think chris judds would keep more fans interested.

1 Like

Yes, I wasn’t a huge fan of it at first, but there’s no harm in trying it out and seeing how it goes for at least a season. I don’t remember Eddie’s idea. What was his take on it?

Callers were saying to Ross & John on 3AW Breakfast this morning, that Dennis Cometti was “hard to hear” on Saturday.

Did anyone else notice that?

I personally didn’t, except for when the siren sounded (his final call was drowned out by the crowd & club theme song).