Seven AFL Coverage

Power outage at the Gabba

5 Likes

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet… the current AFL game being played at the Gabba has been suspended due to a massive power failures.

Seems to be a common occurrence at the Gabba.

5 Likes

It’s been mentioned in the AFL thread.

6 Likes

Its in the AFL thread in the Spy Lounge as it’s not 7 related.

6 Likes

What’s been happening on the broadcast though? Looks a mess. I’ve seen a lot of ads playing?

Game is resuming now.

EDIT. Seems it may be resuming. No one knows

What an embarrassment for the Gabba as well as the AFL.

Seems the OB had no power as well at the ground.

2 Likes

Lots of speculation and rule analysis about what happens from here.

“Explosion in the power pit” was the explanation give.

1 Like

I believe the main commentary box was struggling with power hence why they were presenting from the boundary.

7 Likes

6 Likes

Yeah BT did say that it seemed power was starting to come back into their broadcast equipment.

What will be interesting is the compensation that the AFL will be having to provide the likes of Telstra and the other sponsors for half the grounds Digital signage still being out

2 Likes

It’s clear that the Gabba’s is in need of a massive upgrade . This happened 2 year ago with the cricket. When are they rebuilding the stadium for the Olympics?

9 Likes

With the delay, i wonder if we will see the “post match” and possibly “Armchair Experts” make the top 20 in the preliminary ratings.

1 Like

They’ll probably get pushed past midnight at this rate!

2 Likes

7Plus seems to have had to throw on an extra episode (maybe 2) of Border Security to cover the online streaming while they await the game to wrap up.

4 Likes

Yeah they are bulldozing the whole thing and rebuilding it seems.

Probably a case of bad management and maintenance though for the recent issues.

I can see a lot of people having given up on the game tonight. Most are probably watching Netflix now.

EDIT: they don’t know if the siren is working :rofl:

What a mess

4 Likes

And that Melbourne were never going to win anyway being 40 points down at the time of the outage.

2 Likes

Looks like they might claw back some percentage, be disappointing if they missed top four or eight on percentage when there was an incomplete match.

1 Like

There’s plenty of games left to boost their percentage since it’s only Round 2.

Lucky for the AFL that this only happened now, but who’s to say it won’t happen again later in the year.

1 Like

It does beg the question… will the AFL temporarily move all Brisbane home games away from the Gabba. Clearly the stadium’s infrastructure is not up to scratch.

1 Like

They’d have to play at the Suns venue on the Gold Coast?

Or play home games in AFLX at Suncorp/Lang Park!

1 Like