Seven AFL Coverage

I’d rather see a showdown or derby than Brisbane v Freemantle. The rivalry adds to the match.

But I’m not talking Brisbane vs Fremantle? Why would the AFL schedule those two in prime time. I’m talking you’re Adelaide vs West Coast or Sydney vs West Coast, etc

I picked those two teams as they should be on the up next season. Anyhow, nothing wrong with seeing local derbies considering Victorians see Collingwwod v Essendon, Essendon v Richmond, Melbourne v Collingwood year after year regardless of their form.

1 Like

Fair enough then.

2 Likes

Can I ask you a question wouldn’t you rather see a known classic rivalry in Port v Adelaide on Friday night than say Carlton v St Kilda or Carlton v Hawthorn on a Friday night? The amount of games Carlton got that were rubbish games was ridiculous. Showcase the best games on that Friday night. And 90% of the time those showdowns are classics.

Imagine having to sit through Ess, Coll, Haw, Rich, Carl every week if you don’t live in Victoria when you don’t want to watch interstate teams…

1 Like

The AFL has reported that St Kilda will play against Port Adelaide in China. This would be the first time since 2015 that St Kilda have played in Overseas. In 2013-15, ST Kilda trialed a few games in Anzac Round that was being played at Westpac Stadium, Wellington. I think that Channel 7 will be the host broadcaster for the St Kilda v Port Adelaide in Shanghai, China.

Foxtel are the host broadcaster, the article says this.

1 Like

Seven News’ Mark Stevens tweeted earlier tonight on 2019 fixture:

This year there were seven Thursday night games, two in first two rounds and five in mid-season.

Also:

The grand final rematch (Collingwood v West Coast) will be at the MCG on the Saturday night in Round 3.

2 Likes

I saw a suggestion online that Essendon got Good Friday because the AFL need to maintain the minimum break between games given ANZAC Day is so close to Easter

Are these extra Thursday games produced by Seven or Foxtel? They did all 5 mid-year, they’ve lost two, so presumably they’ll get at least two of the start of year ones back?

The AFL has announced that there will be a GWS Giants v Hawthorn game to be played during Friday Night in Canberra. This will be the second time that a Friday Night game will be played in Canberra.
Meanwhile, Hawthorn will face Carlton in Launceston in Round 6 and I believe that this will be a Fox Footy Exclusive game.
Other matches: Brisbane will play against Collingwood on Easter Thursday (18 April 2019). This will be the first time since 2014 that Brisbane Lions will play on a Thursday Night. The question is will Brisbane Lions get a friday night game in 2019?
Townsville will host an AFL match for the first time ever when Gold Coast play St Kilda in Round 13, 2019.
Buddy Franklin’s team will face against Collingwood on Friday Night during the Indigenous Round in Round 10.

There’s one extra Thursday night game (up from 7 to 8).
7 broadcasted Easter Mon, Anzac Eve, Anzac Day and Queens Birthday in 2018 along with those 7 Thurs night to get to the 77 (didn’t air the Sun game over the 3 bye weeks-ish did Th/Fr/Sa instead of Fr/Sa/Su).
All of those are still in the fixture, so one game somewhere along the line will be a Foxtel exclusive. I’m not sure whether it’ll be a Thursday or they’ll cut another Sunday (Easter maybe).

The 2019 fixture was officially released at midday AEDT today. For the first time, there will be two flexible rounds: round 23 and round 9, to accommodate the A-League grand final should it be held at Marvel Stadium (formerly Etihad Stadium). Should reigning premiers Melbourne Victory host the grand final, the scheduled May 18 game between the Bombers and Dockers would be swapped to Sunday afternoon. The fixture change would then see Port Adelaide’s match against Gold Coast shifted from the Sunday to to Saturday night.
Carlton and St Kilda will not play at all on Friday nights. The Blues will only play once on Thursday (season opener against Richmond). The Saints miss out on Thursday nights at all.
Also confirms Seven will broadcast (in Melbourne) on Easter Thursday, Good Friday, Saturday night and Easter Monday, with Easter Sunday doubleheader on Fox Footy (Western Bulldogs v Carlton at 1.10pm AEST and Adelaide v Gold Coast at 4.40pm AEST).
Adelaide, Brisbane, Essendon, Geelong, Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney and Western Bulldogs are the clubs with five-day breaks in 2019. Richmond and Melbourne will also cop a four-day break due to their Anzac Day eve game.
St Kilda v Port Adelaide in Shanghai will be played at 1.10pm AEST (11.10am local time) and will be shown on Fox Footy across Australia plus Seven in SA.
Interesting to note that Brisbane v Collingwood (Thursday in Round 5) and Richmond v Melbourne (Wednesday in Round 6) will both start at 7.35pm AEST, while Thursday night matches in Rounds 1 to 4 will start at 7.20pm AEDT/AEST. There are also a number of Sunday matches at Perth starting at the later time of 3.20pm local time instead of 2.40pm, leading into Seven News Perth at 6pm.

1 Like

For the premieres, you’d say West Coast have been hard done by (biggest slots - Thursday / Friday), but no doubt the Eagles approved it and it has to do with the time zone? But they do have a number of Saturday nights, not sure how many of them are FTA either.

3 Likes

Breakdown of games where I believe 7 is Host Broadcaster (as opposed to sole telecaster) with R23 TBD. For those counting the TNF/FNF tweet the Eagles vs Port game on Good Friday is a FOX game.

ADEL: 7 (2 Thurs Night, 3 Fri Night, 2 Sat Night)
BRIS: 4 (1 Thurs Night, 2 Sat Night, 1 Sunday)
CARL: 7 (1 Thurs Night, 1 Sat Night, 5 Sunday)
COLL: 13 (1 Thursday, 2 Thurs Night, 7 Fri Night, 2 Sat Night, 1 Monday)
ESS: 14 (1 Thursday, 2 Thurs Night, 1 Friday, 4 Fri Night, 3 Sat Night, 3 Sunday)
FREO: 1 (1 Sat Night)
GC: 0
GEEL: 11 (1 Thurs Night, 3 Fri Night, 4 Sat Night, 2 Sunday, 1 Monday)
GWS: 7 (1 Thurs Night, 1 Fri Night, 2 Sat Night, 3 Sunday)
HAW: 13 (5 Fri Night, 1 Sat Night, 6 Sunday, 1 Monday)
MELB: 12 (1 Wed Night, 1 Thurs Night, 3 Fri Night, 3 Sat Night, 3 Sunday, 1 Monday)
NORTH: 10 (1 Friday, 3 Fri Night, 4 Sat Night, 2 Sunday)
PORT: 4 (2 Fri Night, 2 Sat Night)
RICH: 13 (1 Wed Night, 3 Thurs Night, 3 Fri Night, 4 Sat Night, 2 Sunday)
ST.K: 6 (3 Sat Night, 3 Sunday)
SYD: 10 (1 Thurs Night, 5 Fri Night, 3 Sat Night, 1 Sunday)
WC: 7 (1 Thurs Night, 2 Fri Night, 2 Sat Night, 2 Sunday)
DOGS: 9 (1 Fri Night, 5 Sat Night, 3 Sunday)

Round 18: Sunday July 21st. Melbourne V West Coast Eagles from Alice Springs will be broadcast in all states and territories on Seven and affiliates. The other two games on the Sunday feature Victorian teams.

VERY ANGRY… I AM A PROUD GOLD COAST SUNS FOUNDATION MEMBER AND I LIVE IN VICTORIA… WE HAVE A BIG FAT 0 GAMES ON FTA CHANNEL SEVEN… THAT IS NO GAMES ON CHANNEL SEVEN FOR THE WHOLE YEAR… I AM FURIOUS AT THE AFL. I DO NOT HAVE FOXTEL BECAUSE WE CANNOT AFFORD IT WHICH MEANS AGAIN FOR ANOTHER YEAR I HAVE TO MISS OUT ON WATCHING MY BELOVED SUNS EVERY WEEK… WHEN WAS THE LAST BLOODY TIME THAT A TEAM HAS GOT NO FTA GAMES… EVEN CARLTON HAVE 7 FTA GAMES AND THEY BLOODY FINISHED BELOW US… HOW THEY GET A THURSDAY NIGHT GAME IS BEYOND ME :triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph:

3 Likes

GC Suns will become Tassie Devils soon

Can’t afford to get your Caps Lock key fixed either?

9 Likes