Seven AFL Coverage

Australia women’s team will play New Zealand in a three match ODI series on February 22 and 24 and March 3 next year. And if Seven only shows AFLW on Saturdays like the first two seasons, there should be little clash.

Seven Perth is broadcasting live the welcome home party for newly crowned premiers West Coast at Perth’s Langley Park right now.

Was there and it was 50,000 easily!

Anyone think there should be at least one AFL (and NRL) program following the Grand Finals? To analyse the decider, etc? As of tomorrow, apart from radio and newspapers, zilch on TV!

There are AFL 360 and On the Couch on Fox Footy tomorrow.

You’ll forgive me for not having a subscription.

I’m pretty sure most of the necessary analysis about the AFL/NRL Grand Finals will take place in the post-match coverage and in the reports on the news.

Don’t you think we are over the in depth analysis three days after the Grand Final? I am ready to listen about the trade prospects. I don’t care about West Coast and Collingwood anymore. Ok I do care about West Coast but that is because I want to know about Scott Lycet and whether he is coming to Port Adelaide.

Suppose that’s one way of looking at it.

The AFL will schedule more matches on Thursday nights next year after the AFL Players Association approved of one five-day break per team. This means good ratings for Seven more often on Thursday nights.

Which means that more networks will abandon decent programming on Thursdays.

Or there are exclusive Thursday night Foxtel games. Seven still only get the same 77 games regardless.

More triple Home and Away across the rest of the year.

Is that show still going?

I think the 2017-2022 broadcast rights contract is more flexible and allows Seven to show all Thursday night matches.

Surely that would be the last rites for The Footy Show if that were to happen? Especially with the NRL version gone.

I too doubt that all the extra Thursday night games will go to Foxtel, but could be a bidding war, wave cash around and the AFL will cave in, who knows what stipulations/clauses were written into the current broadcast contract.

But Foxtel got a number of exclusive (as in including for Victoria) games this year and they rated through the roof, like as high as 350k or something, so can see Foxtel going hard. Seven would also want them bad, though more for money probably, as they’ve beaten Nine even easily on some Thursday nights with NRL previously (which is another point in itself).

There was a Thursday night Foxtel exclusive in 2017.

If 7 want to show the entire Thursday night slate, they’ll have to give up something. Public holiday football? I would expect these extra Thursday night fixtures will be Fox games. This current rights agreement has already seen a Fox Thursday night game. A West Coast v Sydney game in 2017 (albeit still on 7 in those markets)

Oops, I forgot about the West Coast-Sydney game last year. Nine showed AFL Footy Show up against it and was flogged in the ratings.

I think it will be the Sunday 3.20pm game featuring two Victorian teams, for SA and WA viewers.