Seven AFL Coverage

Boy oh Boy wowee

4 Likes

The former Saturday night team.

2 Likes

Luke Hodge provided special comments for this afternoon’s match. He played in Brisbane Lions’ narrow loss to Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval yesterday, before he flew to Melbourne while the rest of his team travelled home.

1 Like

For the second week in a row, matches involving Fremantle and Port Adelaide will be shown in their home states on delay as they are produced by Fox Footy.
Saturday: GWS v Fremantle (first bounce 11.45am AWST, 7mate broadcast starts 2.30pm AWST)
Sunday: Essendon v Port Adelaide (first bounce 12.40pm ACST, 7mate broadcast starts 3pm ACST)

Responding to a fan’s question on Twitter, the Dockers said their third and final delayed game on FTA would be the round 7 clash against Richmond at the MCG.

1 Like

Seven have scheduled the Anzac Eve clash on 7mate again in Melbourne this year :confused:

That’s gonna go down well. Hoepfully, like last year (as Comm Games will be well and truly over), Seven can switch to HD again?

NB/ MKR & Interview are on main channel - priority?

The AFL seriously do whatever Seven tell them, don’t they? That I am now sure of. Well eh, they did pay a bucket load of money I guess.

With Interview premiering next Tuesday, perhaps Seven doesn’t want it to be rested the following week just for the AFL. Also both The Voice and Bachelor in Paradise will be shown on April 24, and Seven need first run programming against them in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

3 Likes

Given that the “ANZAC Eve” AFL match on 7mate actually outrated MKR in Melbourne (from memory), I’m surprised coverage of the game hasn’t been shifted to the main channel for this year.

Since Seven did switch the HD channel over to 7mate in Perth for 24 hours in September last year for an important AFL finals match featuring the West Coast Eagles, they’ll probably do the same in Melbourne/Adelaide as they did on April 24 last year: Re, AFL coverage in HD.

1 Like

Well AFL hasn’t been in HD these two weeks during the Commonwealth Games so you have no chance of it happening for this night…

1 Like

Because they know nobody will watch MKR on 7mate :joy:

Seven desperation at its best. Live sport will always be sought out, majority don’t have Foxtel too.

1 Like

There’s still that thing where multi channels rate lower than the primary, will probably cost up to 100,000 viewers which has a knock on effect to Melbourne and Richmond in what is shaping as aatch bigger than Collingwood and Essendon the following day.

Ah… No.

I know what you’re getting at (on form), but the famous Anzac Day clash will always be the AFL’s home and away centerpiece, has been for nearly 25 years now.

Last year’s Anzac Day was miles ahead in the ratings of the Richmond vs Melbourne game the night before.

1 Like

The monopolisation of Anzac Day by Collingwood and Essendon is.nothing short of a disgrace. They carry on like they invented football on the day and the way they carry on is sickening. Anyway, this isn’t the time or place for that debate.

I’m not suggesting the Anzac eve match will out the day game the following day, Seven have made sure that can’t happen by playing it on Mate. I’d expect a bigger attendance to Melbourne v Richmond and it to be a better game.

I seem to remember Nine doing a ANZAC day double header once- Collingwood and Essendon followed by a game in Adelaide.

1 Like

During that broadcast agreement, 9 held the rights to each Anzac Day match regardless of the day it was played.

There was one Friday 25th during that time, Sydney played Melbourne at the SCG.

2 Likes

Really? I wouldn’t.

1 Like

Only 2028 difference last year, wins to Melbourne and Richmond this round will have their supporters up and about. Last year’s match the MCC reserve was over capacity spilling into general admission areas.

1 Like

Seven did show more than one game on ANZAC day once- at Football Park in Adelaide, where Sydney was playing the Crows.

They haven’t just done it once they do it every time ANZAC day lands on a Saturday or Sunday. For example 2015 5 Games were on ANZAC Day including Essendon v Collingwood.

Was that publically stated? Or a private agreement amongst the AFL, Nine and Ten?

Because between 2007 and 2011, there was nothing stated in those rights about Anzac Day, nor was there a pattern. 2007-2009 was Ten, Seven had 2010 and Ten got back 2011.

So that seemed more like a year-by-year private ‘agreement’ or something. It was odd.

I thought so. Ten always got the Monday public holiday matches.

1 Like