Seven AFL Coverage

Has it actually changed? Not just an oversight on the media release? Not sure why Fox would give up this situation without getting something of value in return.

This has occurred since the 2007-2011 broadcast agreement not just the last 3 seasons

2 Likes

A notable omission is Samantha Lane, one of their bigger identities. She wasn’t really part of the team last year on Saturday Night Footy (despite comments from Seven she would be doing roving interviews, etc) after the commentary re-shuffle, instead was reduced to a pre-recorded “NAB AusKick” ident aired a few times a round.

She was famously poached from 10 in 2013 to join the Saturday Night Footy pre game (then re-titled “The Kick” a few years later) and was heavily utilised. Promo: https://youtu.be/7pGS-smROB4

She’s also been part of Seven’s Olympics and Commonwealth Games coverage, usually cycling.

Recently though she’s been integral to their AFLW coverage in summer, which is where it appears Seven have focused her now? She’s also done lots of publicity and conference events, including MC-ing (being a long-time award winning journalist formerly with The Age). She is also often on Weekend Sunrise. Also didn’t she move to Sydney?

What was the rule change? From what I can recall Richmond vs West Coast in round 14 will be exclusively live on Fox.

I think Freo’s games against Melbourne, St Kilda and Sydney in rounds 3, 10 and 12 respectively will also cop the three-hour delay on Seven.

Good news for SA and WA viewers, no more delayed telecasts.

3 Likes

wow, thought talking footy was a gonner, great to see it back

note to mods: only linked this as my original comment (in a date specific Saturday ratings thread) wouldn’t likely be found by members active in this thread. Also, in due course, would a thread specific to the next round of broadcast rights negotiations be good, considering a lot recently in this thread has been on that

Anyone think Seven might push for this scenario:
https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/saturday-7-march-2020/13066/4?u=sully

Yet not a word about today’s Moomba coverage :thinking:

2 Likes

Seven could get a live Saturday arvo match from Fox Footy due to cost cutting measures at Fox Sports.

1 Like

Maybe seven might not even get the rights. My bet is it’s going to channel nine

Next round?

Yeah. I look at it because when you see how much Channel Nine has bumped up its football coverage (even though they don’t show matches) it proves they want to show the AFL how capable they are and that they mean business!

Even the fact that they have a show about women’s football when the FTA National broadcaster doesn’t have a women’s footy show- that’s shows something.

Also when we look at seven in financial difficulties, can they really afford the Olympics, Footy, And Cricket all at the same time in their new era of cutting costs?

2 Likes

Nine and Ten joint bid

That would be great… from all accords though, 10 wants NRL and would they be able to afford both?

I believe that the Nine Network will be desperately wanting to regain the AFL rights (partial). If Nine gets the AFL rights, I think NIne will nab the rights to Friday Night FOotball and Sunday Football. Also, this will boost flagging ratings for Channel Nine in the Perth Market.
This will mean that Channel 9 will have to drop the NRL Broadcasting rights. Channel 9 had the NRL for too long and its about time that 10 get the rights.

1 Like

swaying a bit from the topic here… this is “Seven AFL Coverage”… not “speculate future Nine and Ten AFL coverage”

12 Likes

Though interestingly, I did leave a note to mods about this very thing in a post some hours ago, I must be psychic :grin:

Aren’t seven cutting costs as well?

Or you started it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks very much to the member or two who ruined what wasn’t a bad idea to separate the broadcast rights negotiations discussions into a separate thread (it might have been a bit too early though agreed), but @onair made the absolute right call, Blind Freddy could already see where the comments were heading.

Tbh I was more worried about @BigVic, @Super_SC and @Avatar5991 continuing to drool over Nine’s 5 year’s (2002-2006) of broadcasting AFL and a possible reunion, that and Network 10. All the talk and reminiscence of it in every shape and form, all the potential permutations OMG :joy: :joy:

1 Like