Seven AFL Coverage

Report from the Gabba on 7 News for tonight’s match

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/status/1118798106789732352

1 Like

Is Leigh Matthews still on Seven’s pay roll? Or did he leave quietly and this is some one off special?

2 Likes

Still pops up occasionally. Has been on Game Day at least once already this season.

2 Likes

@Frankie Leigh also did expert commentary on Round 1 Sunday Afternoon match GWS v Essendon from Giants Stadium with Bruce McAvaney, Bazil Zempilas and Jude Bolton.

3 Likes
1 Like

Wayne Carey and Matthew Lloyd did the kick for cash competition this afternoon at half time. What was interesting after 3 rounds that this was a tie!

2 Likes

I reckon BT was distracting to Lloydy during the 20m out right in front set shots :unamused: But it is all for fun and a great cause.

1 Like

WAFL on Anzac Day after the essendon v Collingwood match

1 Like

Today’s blockbuster AFL game between Hawthorn and Geelong finished right on 6pm (in fact the scheduled time of 5:59pm), was even able to have a 30sec post match interview. And it was a fantastic contest throughout the afternoon.

All ingredients that Seven hope for, so expect a massive 6pm News audience in Melbourne and flowing into the rest of prime time.

Do Seven still show the winner’s song and other interviews during the sport segment of News instead? As the telecast ends and no post game on another channel.

3 Likes

On 7 News Melbourne I dare say they won’t see the winners song during ghe sports section. However they will have a bit of the teams press conferences.
In Adelaide and Perth, after the final siren, they end telecast and go to the chase Australia and 7 News at 4pm respectively.
In NSW and QLD, the game is on 7mate so after the match they go to alternate programming.
This was vice versa as the case for Nine’s sunday afternoon NRL coverage as after the final whistle was blown, they go straight to news in NSW, QLD as a lead-in. Victoria, SA and WA will have alt programming
Fox Footy will screen the winners song and the both teams press conferences.

1 Like

The winner’s song is shown live on Fox Footy telecast, then available on 7AFL Twitter account a few minutes later. About five second of that song is played during the sport segment of Seven News.

4 Likes

I wonder if more diehard fans watch Fox’s coverage instead of Seven’s, since Seven cuts to news after the final siren?

1 Like

Anyone with access to Fox watches Fox instead of Seven.

5 Likes

Absolutely. Removing the ads between goals is a huge advantage (even though they still use the Seven feed). Plus Fox’s pre and post-match coverage is far superior.

Not that I watch seven’s pre and post match very often I find Fox’s to be an over the top wank fest. Only advantage to me is no ad breaks.

1 Like

Disagree. Fox is a look at me setup.

1 Like

As I have looked through the television guides on YourTV website, Melbourne, Adelaide will see the Anzac Eve match (Richmond v Melbourne on 7HD on Channel 70. What is interesting was that Sydney and Brisbane have the ANZAC Eve AFL Match on 7HD. Perth viewers will stay on 7Mate in SD.
Last year, Anzac Eve AFL match was shunted to 7mate due to MKR taking priority on Tuesday. Melbourne and Adelaide Viewers have 7mate as HD temporarily, while Brisbane, Sydney and Perth viewers have game in standard definition.

The ANZAC Eve AFL match always should’ve been on the main channel in Melbourne though. From what I recall, the telecast on 7mate actually got more viewers that MKR in 2017 & 2018!

Pre-game coverage will be on 7mate in Sydney & Brisbane though.

From a local perspective, of course Seven Sydney will also have main channel + HD coverage of the Fox Footy-produced Swans vs Giants match on Saturday night.

6 Likes

So is there a reason why the AFL is on the main channel inSydney. Will probably finish fourth or fifth in the time slot.