SEN (Radio)

2 Likes

where is this from? is this behind a paywall?

1 Like

Thankfully (?) not, it’s an article on news.com.au so you can at least read the whole thing.

That said, the whole (two-weeks-late) story becomes more an indictment on the Murdoch press (I mean, I guess the Daily Mail would do it too) than anything given it just means they get another story out of Hutchy complaining about it on the Saturday morning show. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Regardless, I think he’s to be commended in giving young talent a go who’d never get a look in anywhere else

1 Like

…but not for ruining what was once a good radio station.

1 Like

And screwing over thousands of listeners who lost a station that was a part of their lives. If they go broke it’ll all be for nothing.

1 Like

Craig Hutchison explained the company’s financial situation further in this week’s episode of The Sounding Board podcast with Damian Barrett.

We made $4.8m profit EBITDA. There were some markdowns and impairment of assets that created a paper loss. We have made money every year. We haven’t had a year where we haven’t made money. Would we have liked to have made more? Yes. It is my job to make more for our shareholders per annum? Yes.

This was the last year of our audio build and our radio build in conjunction with our stakeholders to finish the job we set out to do five years ago.

We have been playing a long game on asset, as opposed to a short-term game on earnings. That job is finished and we have no more audio stations to buy or build. We have a two-country platform that will serve us well.

3 Likes

1 Like

Not sure if it’s to do with an event or permanent change but SEN/SENZ have changed to a red and white colour scheme for their logos.

2 Likes

Promo to do with a Flight Centre sale apparently, of all things.

1 Like

Christ they’re desperate for a buck.

12 Likes

I reckon SEN probably even sponsor the business cards featured at their Reception.

If it’s sellable, Hutchy will make a quid.

I won’t be cruel here and hope all goes well as I don’t want people to lose their jobs but I wish someone else would take over SEN!

3 Likes

Yes there is a lot I would like to say but all I will say is it will be an utter disgrace if they tore down 4KQ and 2CH for no reason only to go broke - people lost their jobs there too.

3 Likes

If SEN does go down the gurgler, hopefully ACE will pick up 693 and 1170 and bring them back as music formats 4KQ / 2CH or Magic.

3 Likes

The thing that stood out for me was the big salary for himself as on air personality - that could be much better spent.

I don’t know why the SEN sports investments are in the same company as the radio network - they seem like personal projects rather than sound business ventures.

7 Likes

Such a surprise if SEN radio fails … Buy out and steamroll previously successful well regarded radio stations and relaunch them as niche wastelands that barely anyone has listened to for years. How could this not have been be a raging success? People are so fickle, right? Yada Yada Yada …

1 Like

Will be interesting to see perhaps if some shows/hosts finish for the year at Christmas and don’t reappear in the new year.
It seems dire.

2 Likes

Hutchy has previously justified the poor figures saying that their ‘expansion’ phase is complete and now they’re consolidating after all the licence purchases. But yeah, taking half a million a year as salary when your company is tanking seems a bit rich.

Interesting the comment in there about SEN Track being such a cashcow. I’d have thought it would have 10 listeners combined across the country, clearly I know bugger all about the racing/betting industry…

4 Likes

I’m a bit of a racing fan but I don’t tend to listen to SEN Track much. I almost fainted when I flicked past the other day and heard actual commentary of a race. It’s much more common to hear them discussing who they’re tipping and cheering it on while they watch the race that you can’t hear.

The most peculiar thing is when they start replaying that stuff overnight. I flicked past mid-evening the other week to hear a replay of them that afternoon discussing upcoming races and the last couple plays in the afternoon NFL match.

2 Likes