SBS Sport

2 Likes

Fox Sports also showed the Koori Knockout today too, opposite the NRL GF day coverage, over on 505 - I presume they took it yesterday also and it will continue on Fox League itself tomorrow.

Notably, the Fox League coverage took the as-broadcast simulcast inclusive of NITV live watermark, which I found quite interesting (and probably why I piped up once I saw that). Would’ve been baked into the stream though as it was larger than usual - obviously done that way for the streaming on FB and such.

It’s perhaps a bit odd that it’ll therefore be on three channels for knockout GF day tomorrow but I guess Fox League covering it meant that they could have it in HD on some form of linear TV (as NITV is, of course, not that). Of course it will get coverage in HD on SBS One tomorrow too.

2 Likes

Fox Sports showed it last year as well, from memory, they didn’t show it on Friday. I’m not sure whether they showed the Friday this year.

1 Like

Did/can someone get a screenshot of that?

I doubt it because (per above press release graphic) NITV weren’t covering the Friday live this year either, merely updates on their Facebook page.

2 Likes

Friday was covered but it was only shown on SBS on demand and FB. So I doubt Fox would have had it. If you check the NItv FB page and SBS on demand the Friday and Saturday streams will both be on there.

1 Like

SBS to Broadcast the 2023 IFCPF Asia-Oceania Championship

SBS and Football Australia has today announced SBS will broadcast the 2023 IFCPF Asia-Oceania Championships.

SBS will deliver unrivalled coverage of the Championships with live and free access via SBS On Demand, providing greater visibility of the tournament and its athletes than ever before.

From the Opening Day on 4 November until the final day on 11 November, SBS will broadcast over 45 hours of football during the Men’s and Women’s IFCPF Asia-Oceania Championships played at the “Home of the Matildas” at La Trobe University in Bundoora, Melbourne.

SBS Director of Sport Ken Shipp said: “SBS was established more than 40 years ago, and it is the only media organisation dedicated to inspiring a shared understanding and promoting the value of cultural diversity. One of the best ways in which SBS can bring Australians together in this way is through great sporting moments like the 2023 IFCPF Asia-Oceania Championships.”

Football Australia’s Head of Inclusion, Sarah Walsh, underscored the significance of the increased coverage.

“SBS has a long and proud relationship with Australian football, and we are delighted they will support the 2023 IFCPF Asia-Oceania Championships,” Walsh said.

“At the recent FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 we witnessed the transformative power of visibility and representation on the national level. Providing effortless access and increased opportunities to watch the CommBank Pararoos and the CommBank ParaMatildas, and show what is possible through football, could be lifechanging for an Australian living with cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury or symptoms of stroke.”

Leading the team in a record 23rd year of captaincy, CommBank Pararoo David Barber said: “It’s incredibly humbling to know that this year, SBS will be helping to share our beautiful game with all of Australia.

“This will bring fans not just of the green and gold, but the vast and rich diversity of our Asian Cup visitors as well, the chance to come together, and enjoy the pure competition that will light up Melbourne this year.”

The CommBank Pararoos and CommBank ParaMatildas will feature in the Opening Day of match action on Saturday, 4 November as the men’s team faces Thailand (5.15pm AEDT) and the women’s team opens their campaign against Japan (3.00pm AEDT).

Delivered with an athlete centred approach, the Tournament Schedule has been amended for Match Day 4 (7 November) which is now a rest day for the men’s competition. Match Day 5 (8 November) and Match Day 6 (9 November) will see action back on the pitch with a full complement of women’s and men’s group fixtures.

Match Day 4 on 7 November will also see the gates open free to the public to get up and close with CP football on the public holiday, with the main event a standalone match featuring the CommBank ParaMatildas against Japan.

The Finals will kick off on Friday, 10 November with the Women’s Final followed by the Men’s Final on Saturday, 11 November 2023.

All existing ticket holders for single Match Days and those who purchased a Tournament Pass will receive an email about this schedule change in the coming days.

Tickets for the 2023 IFCPF Asia-Oceania Championships are now on sale via Ticketek with ticket prices starting at $10 for Children (aged 4 – 18), $15 for Concession, $20 for Adults, and $50 for a Family.

All the information on SBS’ broadcast schedule of 2023 IFCPF Asia-Oceania Championships is available here.

How to watch the 2023 IFCPF Asia-Oceania Men’s and Women’s Championships on SBS

Saturday, November 4

Australia v Japan - Women

Australia v Thailand - Men

Iran v Japan - Men

2:45pm - 9:15pm (AEDT) LIVE on SBS On Demand

Sunday, November 5

Thailand v India - Men

Australia v Iran - Men

Nepal v Australia - Women

1:00pm - 7:15pm (AEDT) LIVE on SBS On Demand

Monday, November 6

India v Japan - Men

Thailand v Iran - Men

Japan v Nepal - Women

12:00pm - 6:15pm (AEDT) LIVE on SBS On Demand

Tuesday, November 7

Australia v Japan - Women

1:00pm - 2:00pm (AEDT) LIVE on SBS On Demand

Wednesday, November 8

India v Iran - Men

Australia v Nepal - Women

Australia v Japan - Men

2:00pm - 8:15pm (AEDT) LIVE on SBS On Demand

Thursday, November 9

Japan v Nepal - Women

Japan v Thailand - Men

India v Australia - Men

12:00pm - 6:30pm (AEDT) LIVE on SBS On Demand

Friday, November 10

Men’s Semi-Final 1: 1st Place v 4th Place

Men’s Semi-Final 2: 2nd Place v 3rd Place

Women’s Final

1:00pm - 9:15pm (AEDT) LIVE on SBS On Demand

Saturday, November 11

Men’s 3rd Place Play-off

Men’s Final

Closing Ceremony

4:00pm - 9:00pm (AEDT) LIVE on SBS On Demand

1 Like

Here it is - the official route for #TDF2024! 👀#couchpeloton pic.twitter.com/poElSj7K1D

— SBS Sport (@SBSSportau) October 25, 2023

Video

There you have it, #couchpeloton! 👀

The official route for #TDFF2024! 🚲#WatchTheFemmes pic.twitter.com/vSykFJSVj1

— SBS Sport (@SBSSportau) October 25, 2023

1 Like

SBS remains home of the FIFA World Cup™ securing the exclusive rights to the FIFA World Cup 2026™

• Major rights deal ensures audiences will be able to view all 104 matches of the 2026 North American tournament (across Canada, Mexico and the USA) live and free.
  • Deal secures 40 years of partnership between FIFA and SBS (1986-2026).

SBS will remain the home of the World Game with the hybrid national broadcaster today confirming it has secured the exclusive rights to the FIFA World Cup 2026™.

The deal sees SBS, SBS Viceland and SBS On Demand be the home of the world’s biggest sporting event in June and July of 2026, as the rightsholder to all 104 matches, after FIFA confirmed it will expand the competition to have 48 national teams compete in the FIFA World Cup 26™.

“Football is in the DNA of SBS,” said James Taylor, SBS Managing Director. “SBS has been the home of football on Australian television for almost 40 years and we could not be more thrilled to announce that we will broadcast the 2026 tournament from North America, which will have more teams, more matches, and draw more eyeballs than ever before.”

The announcement comes following SBS’s highly successful broadcast of the FIFA World Cup 2022™ from Qatar which redefined the way Australians view live sport.

Driven in part by a stellar run by Australia’s Socceroos in 2022 the SBS broadcast of the FIFA World Cup™ saw the broadcaster’s formula of providing full matches along with “mini match” recaps in 25-minute, 10-minute and 3-minute clips on SBS On Demand drive more than 80 million hours of consumption with around one third of that coming from digital.

“We are so proud to be the spiritual home of football and this deal cements a remarkable 40 years of partnership between FIFA and SBS,” said Ken Shipp, SBS Director of Sport. “In 2026 we will once again bring the best of the World Game to life through our exclusive coverage. The tournament in North America will be the biggest FIFA World Cup™ ever and SBS will broadcast all 104 matches live and free to all Australians.”

10 Likes

Happy about that!

2 Likes

Wow. That is a big surprise. I was expecting 10/Paramount+ to get the rights

6 Likes

Video

3⃣ host countries
4⃣8⃣ teams
1⃣0⃣4⃣ matches
1⃣ home of football

The 2026 @FIFAWorldCup is coming to @SBS – live, free and exclusive! 🙌 pic.twitter.com/xjTBcRZSfs

— SBS Sport (@SBSSportau) October 31, 2023

My game. Your game. OUR GAME. ⚽️

It’s the @FIFAWorldCup and it’s returning to @SBS screens live, free and exclusive in 2026! 🙌 pic.twitter.com/Ro0TkQG2zm

— SBS Sport (@SBSSportau) October 31, 2023
2 Likes

This is great news for SBS and viewers.

Clearly the main networkss did not stump up the cash. I would’ve thought they would be desperate to get it given the amount of content they could put on multiple platforms.

8 Likes

Another sport 10 missed out on. Missed out on the AFL, Cricket and the FIFA World Cup

1 Like

Fantastic news. Hope they add 4K on their streaming platform. SBS the home of the World Cup since 1990

4 Likes

I thought they might have to share this with Optus again, not having to is a good pickup

Wonder if they’ll try and follow suit for the next women’s world cup too

4 Likes

Magnificent, albeit slightly surprising news.

I wonder if the fact that they’ll be day matches here rather than prime time subdued the bidding from the commercial networks? Still feels like a miss from 10/ P+ and Optus in particular whatever the case.

3 Likes

Since when did they seriously cared about bidding for it?

Good news for SBS.

6 Likes

Not want to interfere with their lucrative flagship breakfast TV shows

1 Like

Great news. Wondering if the reason SBS was able to snag it was because of the awful timezone for Australia…

2 Likes