SBS Radio

I don’t really agree about the less Russian time.

Before you jump to conclusions and call me a Russian sympathizer, I’m just going to say that I’m against the Russian actions in Ukraine.

Anyway, I don’t think less Russian time is good because the diaspora in Australia may not be completely pro-Putin, so I reckon keep the broadcasting hours for Russian as they are right now, but increase the Ukrainian time I’m a supporter of.

why discriminate against Russian-speaking people in Australia who are most likely as against the war on Ukraine as much of the rest of the world are.

2 Likes

Agree with you both, I appreciate your reasoning.

1 Like

So the census data came out on Tuesday, and it looks like some changes to the radio schedule will be announced in several months.

to do this, there will be three outcomes: Drop, Unsure, and Remain. I’ve weighed my predictions on the language population, similar to what they did last time:

Anyway without further ado, the outcomes for the programs based on my personal predictions.

I am open to any discrepancies you may see, and I am also open to debate.

Drop - Albanian, Armenian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Czech, Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian,

Unsure - Assyrian, Dari, Dutch, Hebrew, Hmong, Kurdish, Lao, Maltese, Samoan, Serbian, Somali, Swahili, Ukrainian

Remain - Amharic, Arabic, Bangla, Burmese, Cantonese, Croatian, Dinka, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hakha Chin, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Karen, Khmer, Kirundi, Korean, Macedonian, Malayalam, Mandarin, Mongolian, Nepali, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Rohingya, Russian, Sinhalese, Spanish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Tigrinya, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese

1 Like

I am sure Ukrainian programs will remain. The local community needs the latest news on Russia’s continuing invasion of Ukraine from a trusted source, while an increasing number of Ukrainian refugees arriving here will also need information on settling in Australia.

6 Likes

I reckon they’ll probably increase the number of programs to two or three times a week …

2 Likes

Agreed, there will be more Ukranians here than the census suggests, as many would have arrived this year

4 Likes

Here’s a Friday Night Quiz for the bored.
Who can score 100% on matching the above languages to at least one originating country?
Eg. Italian = Italy
I scored 39 of 43. Karen, Kirundi, Malayalam (not where you might think) & Telugu languages got me :slight_smile:

Score
35-37: Good
38-39: Very Good
40-41 : Excellent
42-43: Simply Brilliant

Quiz posted here in the interest of the service that SBS provides to cultures that made Australia their home & as a fun educational quiz, assuming contestants will google their unknown language origins.

2 Likes

Amazing. I’ve memorised these languages off by heart so I got full marks.

1 Like

@LLZ do you foresee any new languages added? Why only remove, remain, unsure?

2 Likes
1 Like

A shame, but why would you want to return?

1 Like

SBS Radio to change to SBS Audio next year

2 Likes

Sounds cringe if you ask me. Radio is much more suitable, as people have literally been used to it for 40+ years!

1 Like

Pleasing to see that SBS appears to be recognising the rather ad-hoc nature of its podcasting ‘strategy’ at present. What will be interesting is whether this is the start of a broader pivot away from broadcast radio towards podcasting and online content as the main method of connecting with multicultural communities.

Plenty of conversations in the sector and on forums like Media Spy about the future of radio/audio broadcasting, but rarely do we give pause to LOTE media, which has its own nuances and distinct listening patterns compared with English-language broadcasting. Could podcasting be easier to cut through with newer generations of migrants than dedicated language shows on AM/FM/DAB+?

As a branding exercise, I wouldn’t be too concerned: it’s not as though the radio stations will change to SBS Audio 1, for example. Can see it working in a similar way to how the ABC promotes its radio stations as being “on radio, on TV, or on the ABC Listen app”.

2 Likes

Neither SBS football station on digital radio has an Australian call of the world cup final. SBS Football 1 is a BBC call, 2 is in French, nothing in Spanish for Argentina.

1 Like

SEN has the English call, and there are multiple other language streams available online.

1 Like

New Year’s Day countdown with SBS Chillest 100

SBS Chill is counting down the Chillest 100 songs to help everyone start 2023 in a relaxing way. Last time, the countdown featured Flight Facilities, Portishead, Tycho and more, and listeners can expect a similar stellar line up in 2023.

Following a recent listener vote the submissions were all tallied, and the votes are now in for the chillest songs of the year with SBS Chill ready to count them down on the first of January.

SBS Chill is the destination for downtempo, electronic, lo fi grooves, playing a breadth of artists from around the world and features unsigned DJs, producers and musicians.

“We’re excited to celebrate the new year with our listeners who have voted for their top songs – we’ll be counting down all 100 songs from noon on New Years’ Day,” said Rob Miller, Music Producer of SBS Chill.

SBS Chill’s most played songs were Wishes by Purrple Cat and The Impossible Silence by Eric Hilton. Other listener favourites were Air, Massive Attack and Groove Armada.

The line-up at SBS Chill is curated to be so relaxed even office workers and students can listen on a loop all day.

“Every year we’ve seen SBS Chill grow and we’ve had amazing feedback from listeners who listen all day while they work or study – teachers have even tuned in to encourage mindfulness in the classroom,” Miller said.

“It’s music that’s very easy to listen to and we’ve heard it’s been comforting to people and even pets who feel anxious, especially during COVID isolations.”

The SBS Chill playlist on Spotify - The Downtempo Chill – has more than 9,300 likes and is one of the most liked playlists in the genre.

SBS Chill will be counting down the Chillest 100 from noon to 8.30pm, New Years’ Day.

Listen to SBS Chill on DAB+ Radio, the SBS Radio App or on television on Channel 39 and 306.

3 Likes