Russia Ukraine conflict - Coverage Discussion

Eurovision is not just a song contest. It’s also a news video-sharing and pooling system for European broadcasters.

1 Like

For those interested, I just found this on YT, lets’s see how long it keeps going.

Війна України та Росії \ Новини з фронту \ Прямий ефір #24канал – онлайн-трансляція - YouTube

2 Likes

A Foxtel spokesperson told TV Tonight, “In view of concern about the situation in Ukraine, the Russia Today channel is currently unavailable on Foxtel and Flash.”

The channel has been removed from streaming and will disappear from satellite broadcasting shortly.

3 Likes

Just checked the channel on sat and it appears to already be blocked.

On cable:

6 Likes

With the amount of footage coming from the locals on social media you really don’t need reporters on the ground in these large scale events anymore. It appears most reporters have gone west to Lviv.

The job for the networks is constantly skimming twitter and social trying to get updates. Largely the footage I’m seeing across news platforms is many hours after I’ve seen it on twitter. Updates are hitting socials by the minute.

1 Like

There is a double edge sword to this I agree with you that social media can be good for these situation, to get real time footage in real time. But at the same time it can be a trap for propaganda , and not all the footage can be verified.

4 Likes

This is the same screen shot I had on satellite.

1 Like

CNN (US) has been streaming live on 9Now today complete with American ads. It’s under the “Nine News Russia-Ukraine Crisis” tile).

1 Like

Same screen on the IQ5 IP stream.

As a paying subscriber I am very disappointed by this. One of the things I really like about the selection of news channels on Foxtel is the variety of perspectives across the channels. Removing one because its viewpoint is starkly at odds with the rest (and the political pressure attached to that) is disappointing at best.

I am a firm believer that if you don’t like something, you don’t have to watch it, but you shouldn’t deny others the ability to watch it.

In full disclosure without wanting to derail the thread, I find myself in agreement with Russia in this particular conflict so RT is of value to me, but I greatly appreciate seeing perspectives from all sides about it.

4 Likes

Won’t they get in the shit for that?

Interesting move with CNN international broadcasting on Foxtel

1 Like

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: International Politics (non-USA)

I doubt Nine would be stupid enough to re-stream CNN without consent / agreement

3 Likes

I’ve noticed there’s barely any feed variations with CNN International and CNN US due to the pandemic?

Jesus. Not sure… mmmm actually, I don’t know what to say. How could you possibly be in agreement with Russia?

And RT is currently just a government propaganda outlet. There’s different views; they’re just all the governments.

10 Likes

I don’t mean the stream itself I mean the fact that it has us ads not Australian ones.

nine Prob does not have permission to sell ads In cnn’s content online

Also don’t think there is laws about foreign ads streaming online?

1 Like

US CNN on 9Now

1 Like

Nine have had a fairly close relationship with CNN for a long time now so it doesn’t surprise me they’ve been able to arrange this. Can’t imagine licensing would be an issue given Nine (and Seven) have been able to access CNN coverage for other things such as presidential elections.

3 Likes