Drag Race Down Under

I’m surprised that they are doing another Australian season. I enjoyed it more as it went along but it just wasn’t a memorable season for me and felt a bit cheap and tacky.

I agree with comments above about the overkill but also understand the shows are made for different markets. It is not like the Aussie version had that much exposure in the US apart from to diehard fans. I don’t watch the UK or Canadian seasons to give myself a break, especially now as 3 seasons back to back has been enough for me.

I did really enjoy the recent US All Stars though. It was one of the better seasons for me. Just the winner was not who I would’ve chosen.

2 Likes

Fantastic they are doing an open casting call this time. I certainly think it will improve things.

Unless there are production incentives for local filming, they could look to film in LA.

2 Likes

Apparently Ru liked filming in NZ… plus, it is being produced by “Warner Bros. International Production New Zealand.”

1 Like

You found the solution @Chris.

Don’t watch certain seasons if it is too much for you.

I am happy to watch every episode of every season!

In that case if it stays permanent you’d hope they’ll increase the production values for the second season - it was well and truly the cheapest looking example of the franchise and really it was assumed that was because they made a last minute change to filming in NZ due to COVID.

1 Like

There are franchises of most reality shows in many different countries and locations these days. You really don’t have to watch every single one.

1 Like

The difference is though that multiple versions (at least 4 per year now) are hosted by RuPaul and they are aired back to back so they don’t clash. I can’t think of another reality show like this.

1 Like

Ru is part of the reason I watch. The other versions with other hosts are ok, but Ru (and Michelle) have the real pull for me to watch.

2 Likes

How does Ru have the time to do everything she does? 2 regular seasons, 1 all stars and 2 overseas versions plus a podcast.

Don’t they film a whole season in 3 or 4 weeks? Should be quite easy to fit in the filming of 5 versions throughout the year.

Yes an episode is generally 2-3 days max

That’s his job? Assuming it doesn’t take up more than 9 months of his full-time schedule, I very much doubt he is heavily involved in editorial.

Oh I didn’t realise that :stuck_out_tongue: i thought it was just to look pretty.

But thanks for your comment I believe someone mentioned about a month ago that they film it in 2-3 weeks which I didn’t comprehend when first posting.

I have been watching old seasons I didn’t get a chance to watch. I just watched all stars 4. Did anyone just get turned off the show when they eliminated Manila? I haven’t been able to watch another episode. Manila deserved to at least be saved.

1 Like

Could have done without Rhys again.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see if the production values are any better this go around.

2 Likes

The “rumored” cast list does not look terribly impressive. But I am hopeful.

I assume being in NZ we will have a frequent absence of guest judges again due to quarantine requirements.

Ahead of season 2 of Drag Race Down Under, Stan will stream RuPaul’s Drag Race: UK Versus the World from tomorrow (Wednesday), same time as UK where it airs on BBC Three.

1 Like

The new season of Drag Race Down Under premieres on Stan on July 30.