Drag Race Down Under

You would think that maybe that would be water under the bridge now… considering Ru has changed his stance on having trans contestants on the show.

2 Likes

It’s a World of Wonder production, I don’t see Stan overriding the Courtney ban.

3 Likes

You’d think so. Still blocked though.

1 Like

I think there is more to it than just the trans comments. You could always tell Ru didn’t really like Courtney back in her season.

2 Likes

True yes… also Courtney’s other comments post Drag Race made her sound ungrateful and rude.

1 Like

Courtney made lots of comments about the lack of access to Ru when on the show. Like they only got to see her/talk to her when she came through the workroom door to set the challenge.

1 Like

So? That’s the same with any show.

1 Like

Yeah lots of whinging about bratty expectations

Rumoured queens joining the Drag Race DU 2021 cast: CoCo Jumbo, Karen from Finance, Art Simone, Maxi Shield, Vanity Faire.

1 Like

So I was pointing out their beef.

1 Like

Ru very much RUles (see what I did there) the roost. If she doesn’t like Courtney, there will be no Courtney…

4 Likes

WoW put this together and then shopped it to Stan first. RuPaul has ultimate say on all casting (both contestants and guests) and retains total control over the brand.

The fall out with “Courtney Act” was much more to do with media coverage of the use of the term “shemale/she-mail”, which was part of a phrase that was used in every episode in the first few seasons. Courtney Act spoke out against both RuPaul & Drag Race and joined the media pile on, even though she had used similar terms to promote herself and nights she hosted at The Abbey (WeHo) when she first arrived in the US. There is no love lost there, but its certainly not a vicious fight.

3 Likes

The cast for the new show will be revealed at Saturday’s Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade at the SCG - a kind of cross-promotion on SBS?

1 Like

I feel like I already know a lot of the cast. I’ve spoken to many in the know in Melbourne - I know of 2 Melb drag queens that are definitely on the cast. Apparently most of the cast were approached / scouted for on Instagram.

1 Like

Its not hard to find the full cast on Reddit and other forums. No real surprises, I was surprised at the high proportion of NZ Queens.

1 Like

There’s a YouTube clip around too showing all of the Queens.

1 Like

It’s a joint venture production with TVNZ, I’d suggest they have to have a certain amount of NZ queens casted as part of that deal.

2 Likes

Yes I would say so, I thought it would be more proportionate to populations.

2 Likes

Stan has announced comedian Rhys Nicholson as the third judge on the show.

2 Likes

Opps… I think Art Simone posted this a bit early.

Edit: Never mind, they have announced it.

4 Likes