Rugby League

There is a mechanism in the contracts that allows the existing club a last attempt before the NRL endorses the contract and the move.

2 Likes
2 Likes

“In anything you do, you need good partners and need people to get in the trenches with you. There has never been anyone better than the Queensland Government.

They were there for us during Covid, they were there for us when we needed them for the Grand Final, they were there for Magic Round.”

V’landys then gave Brisbane a lighthearted dig, revealing they weren’t the highest bidder.

“It was a very easy decision for us. Although they screwed us on price and weren’t the highest bidder, we had no option because there’s only one Caxton Street,” V’landys quipped.

4 Likes

I can’t stop smiling… Always good to see the Chooks get done, but for my mob to do it on them!

It was a great game and win, 38-30 too many points though.

4 Likes

Parra coach, Brad Arthurs, has left the club, effecting immediately. Not sure who the next coach will be (perhaps whoever is the assistant?)

5 Likes

Trent Barrett interim coach.

Eels supposedly have already tried to go after Wayne Bennett…

https://x.com/badel_cmail/status/1792461543877304431

4 Likes

So have the NRL allegedly, to set up the PNG team if it gets approval

1 Like

Nine News reported tonight that Bennett had said he had “unfinished business” at Souths and that was why he was going back there.

Shame he didn’t do the same for Newcastle when he (and Tinkler) left the place in a mess in 2013 leading to three straight wooden spoons.

1 Like
1 Like
  • The federal government and the NRL are working on deal that would see a new NRL side based in Papua New Guinea.
  • The deal could be worth up to $600 million in federal funding over 10 years.
  • What’s next? PNG Prime Minister James Marape has indicated he wants a decision on the deal made before 2025.
5 Likes

Cameron Munster has been ruled of the upcoming State of Origin series due to his groin injury.

3 Likes

I’m all for the consideration of expanding NRL beyond the current comp but I would have thought their priority would be fielding a team in somewhere like NT, SA or WA would have been more important to try and gain some traction on fulfilling the N part of NRL.

2 Likes

Perth is next in line, with a second NZ team. This would mean a 20 team competition.

I don’t think Adelaide will happen for a while yet, NT probably never?

2 Likes
2 Likes

People tend to overlook that. He has more unfinished business in Newcastle that is for sure.

I have mixed feelings around Brad Arthur getting the sack. In my opinion if there isn’t a better replacement available then I am not sure it is a great idea. Also we have two of our best players out. Out of 10 full seasons we made the finals 5 times. It isn’t terrible.

1 Like

I think the PNG team is more likely now then after that it sounds like they want a Perth team. AFL already have the NT so there’s not much point in trying.

1 Like

Bloody Disgrace putting an PNG Team in!

Yes I agree, PNG is most likely the next team.

It’s political as well , the pacific nations, mainland China wants to have influence . They are happy to pour money into these nations, if it can help them reach some of their goals they want to achieve.

It’s worthwhile to follow what is happening, on the belt and road and other activities ie What China is trying to do globally. It’s off topic for this thread.

Rugby League has now become part of this game of chess. Not sure if Australia can really compete with China , however Rugby League is like a religion in PNG.

5 Likes

Not really as a lot of the players come from there now. The only part about it that is annoying is that it has become political. Thats where it’s disgraceful. Personally, I’m all for it. The other thing is if you have ever seen any of the QRL PNG did have a team in that for a number of years and that’s where the NRL got a lot of player from them. So to me it makes sense.

4 Likes

The weather and climate is just so different up there, it’ll be even harder for opposing teams to win in Port Moresby than in Townsville.

Conversely they’ll find it difficult to win away.

5 Likes