Rugby League

I know regional tv ads have a bad wrap - but that’s got to be one of the worst I’ve seen for some time

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

North Queensland Cowboys have dumped Jason Taumalolo and Chad Townsend as captains, and appointed Reuben Cotter and Tom Dearden as new captains for 2024.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys-weapon-jason-taumalolo-axed-after-clubs-2023-season-flop/news-story/fa00babf0fd2f5e9152b3bcab7adc368

3 Likes

Wayne Bennett is reportedly the frontrunner to succeed Michael Maguire as New Zealand coach.

2 Likes

The game’s executive general manager of strategy, Andrew Every, had found another gig, while Jaymes Boland-Rudder, who some insiders saw as a potential CEO successor, was also heading for the exit. With the NRL’s communications chief Grant Williams also departing to set up his own PR consultancy, Abdo was losing nearly half his executive team in one go.

Abdo sent out an all-staff announcement (on Wednesday), saying the exodus was actually part of a “new organisational design” that had been in the works for the “last few months”.

The only senior promotion announced as part of the new design was that of Misha Zelinsky, running corporate affairs. Zelinsky is a director of AustralianSuper and a former union official, who has more recently been moonlighting as a Ukrainian war correspondent for the AFR.

2 Likes

Currently works for the US Department of State :sob: what is this league :joy:

2GB’s head league caller David “Thirsty” Morrow has been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer.

Go well mate.

3 Likes

One of the best callers out there. Sad news.

2 Likes

It looks like Fox sports have secured UK super league rights once again. Every game every round is being broadcast or streamed for the first time in the UK.

https://twitter.com/wallyscr/status/1756936804354474256?t=jxegINaA2vcQ5gaz-YkUIg&s=19

3 Likes

As seen on Today Extra this morning.

1 Like

And… Isn’t it great to have the footy back!

The Indigenous teams completed a clean sweep over the Maoris with wins in the touch, women’s and men’s games.

In the main game, the Indigenous men won their game 22-8 in wet humid conditions.

2 Likes

https://www.codesports.com.au/nrl/buzz-rothfield-paul-kent-to-return-to-nrl360-and-columnist-duties-as-part-of-fox-leagues-vegas-extravaganza/news-story/29dbb87b58466ff75d2402e099b2e12c

Journalist and colleague Paul Kent will return as co-host of NRL360 alongside Braith Anasta in the build up to Fox League’s coverage of the Las Vegas season opener.

1 Like

Phil Rothfield also writes that promoter Colin McLennan (father of former Rugby Australia boss Hamish McLennan) has died at 87. Colin McLennan launched the midweek Amco Cup back in 1974, the first sporting competition in Australia that was created for TV. It was held usually on Wednesday nights and shown on Channel Ten. It featured 4 x 20-minute quarters and a penalty countback rule in the event of a draw.

A death notice was published in The Sydney Morning Herald today.

2 Likes

The Annual Charity Shield was held last night, at Kogarah Oval. Souths beat the Dragons 28-6. The first half was level at 6-6. Souths were dominate in the last 20 minutes of the game.

I went to the game. And was on the hill. Can’t go wrong with the hill. A good crowd of 8,827 attended. As a Dragons fan, once the tries were coming through by Souths, we were like 'here we go. This is how our season will be. Can play for 60 minutes. Choke in the final 20". Just a trial, so time will tell.

2 Likes

My Sharkies lost to the Knights yesterday, 44-18, but like you, I figure it’s a trial, so I’m not reading too much into it.

And Nicho Hynes and Braydon Trindall didn’t play as they were in the All Stars game the previous day. The Knights conversly, had both first choice halves playing, though not Kalyn Ponga.

1 Like
1 Like

Russell Crowe explains the rules and laws of rugby league as we approach our season-opener in Las Vegas! 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/rcXBGLfObA

— NRL (@NRL) February 19, 2024

2 Likes

Given the news in the AFL thread about turf needing to be replaced at the MCG after the Taylor Swift concerts, I’m sure the NRL will be hoping the same thing doesn’t happen at Accor Stadium at Homebush, also given its hosting 4 concerts instead of just 3.

The NRL will be glad that no games are scheduled there until Round 4 anyway (29th March).

1 Like

I suspect that may be why.

1 Like