Regional Radio Ratings

I agree. Have we ever had any ratings surveys for a regional radio market with only SRN/BOG commercial stations?

I wonder to what extent 2CS’s ratings are being affected by 2MC.

One reason why STAR may be rating higher is because the ratings probably don’t differentiate between people listening to 105.1 STAR Mid North Coast (2MC’s sister station) and 105.5 STAR Coffs (2CS’s sister station), despite the fact the only differences are ads and local breakfast presenters.

1 Like

This is an interesting point as the Northern Transmitters for 2MC & Star are just south of Nambucca Heads. I stayed there in the holidays and the 2CS FM signal on 106.3 was being smashed by 2MC on 106.7. Nambucca Head is only 40kM south of Coffs Harbour but the Port Maquarie stations were on everywhere…

1 Like

Nambucca isn’t in the Coffs licence area IIRC so makes sense that 2MC is the ‘local’ station there

Ratings have just been released for the Albany, WA market: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/Images/ALBANY-XTRA-RESEARCH-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.pdf

ABC Great Southern is #1 10+ with a 27.1 share, and is #1 40-54, 55-64 and 65+. They lead all dayparts, with the exception of drive, which falls to HOT FM and Hamish & Andy. HOT is #2 10+ with a 20.6 share, and is #1 10-17, 18-39 and 25-39. triple j takes out #3 with a 14.1 share, with RadioWest settling in at #4 with a 7.3 share.

All stations 10+ add up to 80.4 overall; that’s 19.6% to other stations. Presumably, a large proportion of this share would go to Gold MX, which sits just in the AM narrowband at 1611 AM. Interesting too to see RN sit #2 in nights on 12.1, out rating both HOT and RadioWest, sitting tie with an 8.4 share.

1 Like

Ouch for RadioWest Albany! :open_mouth:
Considering that they have the “Greatest Hits” format running on the AM band, I think that RadioWest, at least in markets outside Bunbury (the only regional market in WA where there’s commercial competition between the two AM stations), should flip over to the “Classic Hits” log. However, given that all of its daytime programming outside of breakfast comes out of Bunbury, that would be a bit impossible to do.

As for the “Other Stations” figure of 19.6%, along with Gold MX, plenty of them would also be listening to the local community station 4ufm on 100.9.

The Radio Today article about the Albany ratings mentioned that other WA regional markets to have their ratings this year are Kalgoorlie, which will release theirs next week, whilst Bunbury is planned for the 2nd half of this year. I think the latter would be interesting to see, as the two commercial AM stations, RadioWest & Spirit Radio, battle it out for the adult demographics.

Thanks for that!

I’m surprised that Radio West does so poorly… Wonder if it’s a reflection of the eastern states programming?

A reasonable amount of Radio West’s programming originates from Bunbury, so I wouldn’t have thought it would be an eastern states programming problem… however it could still be because Bunbury isn’t exactly local to Albany. From what I heard when I was over West in January, both the SCA stations do tend to have a bit of a Bunbury focus. ABC Local probably has more relevant local programming and benefits as a result.

1 Like

How many in areas such as Albany have abandoned radio altogether? Would someone not ticking a box contribute to ‘other stations’ or not?

1 Like

I don’t believe so.
Market share is purely a percentage of all people listening to radio at that point in time. You’d need to look at the cume and average audience figures to get a feel of how many people in a license area aren’t even listening to radio.

Ah! Gotcha! Thanks for that explanation :wink:

i98 has won all but 2 surveys since first taking the market lead in 1995. It fell to Wave in 2002/2 (20.6 to 21.6) and 2003/1 (19.9 to 22.0 - that was i98’s only dip below the 20 share mark in the past decade and a half.)

Today, it’s Kalgoorlie’s turn: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/Images/KALGOORLIE-XTRA-RESEARCH-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.pdf

Hot FM is the #1 station with a 33.1% share, followed by RadioWest in 2nd place with 26%, which is a much better result than in Albany. Coming in a rather distant 3rd place is ABC Goldfields with 14.4%, followed closely by JJJ with 12.7%.

In the demographics, Hot FM won the under-40s, whilst RadioWest won the 40-54s & ABC Goldfields won the over-55s.

1 Like

But it is considered to have more community of interest with Coffs than Port in the Nambucca/Bellingen valleys.

Mackay has their radio ratings released today: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/Images/MACKAY-XTRA-RESEARCH-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.pdf

Hot FM is the #1 station with 26.2%, followed by Sea FM with 18.9% & ABC Tropical QLD with 17.7%. Star 101.9, which recently rebranded from Zinc, had a 12% share, followed by JJJ at 8% & 4MK at 5.9%.

In the demographics, Hot won the under-40s, whilst Sea won the 40-54s (with Star at 2nd place) & ABC Tropical QLD won the over-55s.

Shocker for 4MK. Are they still a talkback station with some classic hits?
Maybe they should try easy listening/soft AC - it’s working in metro areas with Smooth FM, and it’s not catered for by Hot/Sea/Star. Also continues to make you wonder about the waste of FM spectrum that is ABC Classic FM.

According to their website, they’re now positioning themselves as a “Classic Hits” station & doesn’t take any networked talk programming from 2GB. It’s the same for 4CA in Cairns.

Ah interesting. I think that’s only a fairly recent change. Same as the change to Star from Zinc is recent.

Shepparton has released theirs today: http://radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/Images/SHEPPARTON-XTRA-RESEARCH-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.pdf

Star FM is #1 with 30.2%, followed by 3SR with 20.2% & ABC Shepparton with 15.5%.

2 Likes

These regional numbers continue to show what a waste of airspace ABC News Radio is - in this region a cumulative audience (different people who listen to the station 8 minutes during any time period) of ZERO people between the ages of 10 and 55.

2 Likes