Random TV History

Just had a chance to sit down and watch - what an awesome find! I only found out from Brett Costello’s reports that Sue Hickey was a weather girl I didn’t know that. For those not from Tasmania Sue Hickey has been more famous (or infamous) the past few years for becoming Hobart Lord Mayor for a few years with some interesting decisions (a fortune spent on upgrading public toilets for instance) and then later became a member of the Tasmanian House of Assembly for the Liberals but did a deal with Labor and the Greens to be installed as the Speaker which was against her party wishes where they’d done an internal deal for one of their senior members to have the role. She’s also come under fire quite a bit over time for disagreeing with her party and not being involved in Cabinet - as she’s not a Cabinet member. I did chuckle thought that the sponsor for the weather was read by Peter Murphy who must surely have become Tasmania’s longest serving weather presenter. I did also note there was no forecast for the North West Coast, only Hobart and Launnie mentioned with the cities forecast and other regions mentioned but they must have put us in the West Coast side (which is quite different).

It appears that the Tim Lester story must have been presented from the TNT9 studios in Launceston as that was a northern story, would technology have allowed (or afforded) live type crosses back then or would those stories have needed to be pre-taped and somehow rushed to Hobart for broadcast?

1 Like

That’s a good point. Aussat was still a year away so only m icrowave link would have been in place. However, looking at the TV guiides od 1985 & 1986, it appears most programems were the same but the occasional different show or the same show, different episode. I’m guessing that playout was still conducted tfrom both markets locally? How did the microwave link work exactly?

Also, how did TAS TV receive live programmes such as Willesee, Midday Show and othe live sports from the commercial networks? Looking at the distance from Melbourne, it looks to be too far for a microwave link over Bass Strait or is this technically possible?

2 Likes

yes they had a microwave bearer link to the mainland. It’s mentioned in the newspaper supplement that was published for TNT9’s 25th anniversary in 1987.

4 Likes

I had a teacher at TAFE who had done some work with the broadcasting there and there were a couple of hops for the microwave link, I think it went via Flinders Island. I had forgotten about the microwave links though.

2 Likes

Even today, Microwave is still an important part of delivering content around the country

2 Likes

This was from the 25th anniversary newspaper supplement from The Examiner for TNT9’s 25th anniversary

7 Likes

Brilliant, thanks. I presume Perth had a similar arrangement in the 80’s before Aussat.

Here’s an article from 11th September 1984 in Rockhampton’s Morning Bulletin regarding RTQ7 acquiring a supplementary license and their plans for it. Obviously this never happened but interesting. Who was Kevin Parry though?

3 Likes

Perth was linked to the east coast via microwave link from 1970

He was a businessman and a former owner of NBN

Ah thanks @TelevisionAU, I knew that name was familiar but couldn’t think why!

Replying to a post @WAtvVideos made in the now-closed “General TV History” thread in November 2017:

Could this be the video you’re referring to?

Also on that same YouTube channel, what appears to be a low quality, but clean & widescreen Ten Movie Opener from 2000:

…and a C7 Sports Ident:

3 Likes

Google helped :wink:

But I think a lot of regional channels were looking at acquiring a secondary licence - this was before aggregation was on the horizon although the prospect of aggregation just made them want secondary channels even more.

That RTQ7 logo looks familiar. That ribbon style was adopted by 7 in 2000.

TV ad for Austar Anywhere, the regional counterpart of Foxtel’s Download service:

I noticed that too. The background colours, even the 6.30 News sign behind the presenters seems to be inspired by the look Seven National News had. They had that look probably a year or two before the changeover when they were TVT6. The only noticeable changes to the news from the changeover at this point were basically the opening/closing titles and the Tas TV logo plastered over the TVT6 logo on the sign behind the presenters. Apart from those, the bulletin was the same as before. Same changes would have applied to the TNT9 bulletin as well.

Love the theme music for the Hobart bulletin, very 80’s-sounding music there. I think that was used for TVT’s news for some time before the changeover too. I think it was only used for Hobart’s bulletin. Tas TV’s Launceston bulletin I think continued using Seven Melbourne’s news theme from around that time.

Indeed it was. I’m pretty sure that the Hobart and Launceston stations continued to do their own bulletins after the name change. I’d imagine there would be quite a few complaints in the north to Tas TV if suddenly their news was done from Hobart, especially with only one story in this bulletin coming from Launceston.

Yes I’m wondering how they got the stories from Nine. Maybe it was for the Hobart station only? Or maybe considering it was an overseas story rather than a national one, perhaps they got the stories from Nine that way via an overseas source or bureau? Doesn’t really explain the Brian Naylor voiceover though.

2 Likes

Yeah I didn’t really know either until I watched the 1985 bulletin. A few former Miss Tasmania Quest winners ended up working on-camera for TVT6 over the years including Sue Hickey (1979 winner), Robyn Martin (1977) and Jennifer Jones (1976). Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Jennifer read the news on weekends at some stage in the late '70s. I know at least Sue and Robyn were weather girls at the Hobart station, and Jennifer and Robyn won state Logies over the years for their work.

Yeah I found that amusing too. To think Murph has gone on to do the weather himself for all of nearly 36 years so far!

I believe the weather forecasts in this bulletin were mostly forecasts for places within TVT’s viewing area, which explains the separate forecasts for the Upper and Lower Derwent Valley areas with their surrounding areas. Launceston was included in TVT’s weather like Hobart was included in TNT’s weather, not within the viewing area, but still important enough to bring to local viewers’ attention. For the first reason, if not both, the North West Coast was left out of the TVT forecasts.

I’m not sure how they went about it back then. I was thinking maybe the stations would record the start of each other’s bulletins and air each other’s lead story via their own bulletins and queue it in for broadcast after they had aired their own lead stories. Not sure how possible that would have been back then, even with the microwave link. If only we could see the Launceston bulletin from that day or a similar day just to compare the two.

1 Like

7 Tasmania (TNT9) marked their 58th anniversary by showing some highlights of the station’s history at the end of last night’s news bulletin.

4 Likes

60 years of ABC TV Hobart

4 Likes

Celebrating 60 years of ABC television broadcasting in Tasmania

2 Likes

HAD to post this somewhere!

Old (faded) TEN Capital signage in Wagga.

11 Likes
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter