Random Thread

I can’t see mega corporation Disney bowing down because of little ABC in Australia.

3 Likes

Well obviously not all, but most? :wink:

The Communist party seem to have done an excellent job of co-opting patriotism & national/cultural pride for their own ends (as others around the world have also tried to varying degrees of success).

Sadly it sounds like the ANU Vice-Chancellor is playing to his market, telling them what they want to hear.

He should remember that China despite its positives is ruled by a totalitarian regime which oppresses their people (brutally when they deem necessary).

1 Like

Test post. Please ignore.

For those curious I was testing which way to correctly add gifs to posts without having to link to external sites or requiring a viewer to manually press play like a video.

I figured it out…

8 Likes

An interesting vid showing how all the various tones for landline phones were generated before fully electronic phone exchanges came along - involving a mechanism with cams and stuff to interrupt the tones (for things like the busy tone or off-hook tone).

1 Like

That’s pretty cool.

I wonder how many other things haven’t been recorded over time as technology replaced things because they felt like they were so common and it seemed silly to replace them yet are now non-existent. Things like manually tuning an analgoue TV, everybody knew how to do that but nobody born today would know and it would seem so foreign to them.

The politically incorrect depiction of Native Americans in this promotional vid from Telecom Australia for its Teletext-style computer terminal would certainly not fly in today’s world…

Potentially explosive. Will Spicer release this information herself or ask a politician to table it in Parliament under parliamentary privilege?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tracey-spicer-on-sexual-harassment-ive-been-sent-audiotapes-ive-been-sent-email-trains/news-story/c94d72eecf603860b6fa1df8f52284bf

1 Like

stolen from CHGMN

3 Likes

Only $54.95 for 300MB!

I think my parents signed up to a 500MB plan in 2003, which I always went over with and my parents got charged 15c/MB…

We got a $300 bill one month and my parents managed to talk Telstra into waiving the excess usage charges…

I think there was a 10GB plan available for $300 a month.

2 Likes

Those data caps were ridiculous… especially considering uncapped, unlimited cable was available through Optus 4 YEARS earlier at almost the same price as Telstra was offering 300MB for!

Unfortunately, Optus lost interest in their cable rollout not long after launching Cable broadband and Telstra had a monopoly on ADSL for many years after…

2 Likes

This is funny.

This can only end well.

5 Likes

Sweetie are you some sort of Ebay broker?

1 Like

One notification is related to an item I bought, the other two are ads. Annoying!

1 Like

Hayne apparently wants to be closer to his daughter and her mother who live in Sydney. Rothfield says the Roosters or the Waratahs might be a possibility.

Nine News Sydney tonight reported that Parramatta are the likely favorites.

The Roosters haven’t got a hope in hell of getting Hayne unless they release Mitchell Pearce (now that they’ve signed Cronk).

If I was running an RL club in Sydney, I wouldn’t touch him with a 50 foot barge pole. Unfortunately they’ve just negotiated a CBA package worth $980M so money will probably be no issue.

At first glance I thought that Google was celebrating Brian Henderson, but it’s Hirotugu Akaike a Japanese statistician.

2 Likes

Google come up with some rather interesting celebratory logos, don’t they?

Not that the chances of this happening are particularly likely, but I reckon it’d be great if Google Australia actually did a celebratory logo/banner for Brian Henderson one of these days! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is David Knox purposely ignoring Foxtel on his TV Tonight website? The last article about Foxtel was on 27 October, nothing since. Usually there is pay TV story every day, or at least every second day.