Random Thread

You know I do :wink:

1 Like

heh…trust me. Everything is giving me the shits. Idiot drivers. Idiot pedestrians. Idiot conference organisers. Idiot politicians. I’m surprised i haven’t gone off the deep end yet. :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry the old Matlock can’t come to the phone right now. Why? Because Anschluß motherfucker.

1 Like

Good news; a clear majority of Australians realise the truth:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/ipsos-global-poll-two-in-three-australians-think-religion-does-more-harm-than-good-in-the-world-20171011-gyz7ii.html

…49 per cent of respondents across all countries agreed with the statement “religion does more harm in the world than good”.

But the proportion of Australians agreeing with that statement was well above the international average at 63 per cent.
…
Only Belgium (68 per cent) had a higher proportion than Australia who agreed religion does more harm than good, while Germany and Spain were on par with Australia.
…
The 2016 census, released in July, found a record 29.6 per cent of Australians described themselves as having “no religion”, up from 22 per cent five years earlier, while a further 9.6 per cent did not state a religious affiliation.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m sick of how those churches keep doing that thing where they like feed the homeless, run the refuge shelters, run the op shops, work to eliminate poverty, help women and children. They are clearly all out there harming everyone!

I wonder how many of those respondents were the misinformed who simply just believe everything they’re told from the media and how it seems like all religious people and religions are like the ones at the Royal Commission etc…

1 Like

There are plenty of secular organisations who provide the exact same services without being arseholes to LGBT and hiding pedos.

I think it’s pretty obvious from the way the upper echelons of the Church have acted in recent years (refusing to turn over confessions of abuse in the booth) that the public is quite rightly distrustful of them.

8 Likes

More harm than good; not no good at all, but as @pelican said religions have done plenty of bad, and so justifiably lost the trust they had.

It’s interesting how they try to recruit people when they’re at their lowest (needing charity, etc.); no self-interest there?

3 Likes

Or school chaplains…

Like giving you a personality test and telling you that you don’t have a personality so you need to join the Church of Scientology? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You do realise that the Catholics and those who have committed these atrocities are very, very, very far away from the other denominations. It’s a very small percentage of “religious” people who have committed these crimes. It’s like having for instance some members of Apex for example being convicted of something and then tarnishing all Rotarians, Lions Club and Apex members with the same brush.

Yes, while there are secular organisations, certainly around a lot of areas they are run by groups affiliated with churches because secular organisations won’t or can’t commit to there.

Or maybe, they actually realise that the religious people aren’t that bad and they do find things are different for them or they are getting genuine help for their issues by people who are religious and are actually doing good. Shock horror. Fancy religious people not being like what they’re portrayed as by the media or people who just generally don’t have a clue about them or what they believe.

1 Like

That’s a very poor argument to make, and doesn’t even engage with the point I made.

My point was that a lot of people might still be spiritual, but find organised religion to do more harm than good based off the actions of the Catholic Church and other Christian churches.

1 Like

No; there has been sexual abuse by Anglicans, Jewish, etc. It is not just a Catholic evil.

Yeah, like how they’ve portrayed themselves as being all that is good, and saying us unbelievers are going to suffer eternal damnation for not agreeing with their fantasies.

Sorry I missed your original point, but I do think you’ll find that most religious people will find all those atrocities abhorrent and everyone who has been involved should be found and punished to the full extent of the law and for all eternity. This however is still a small subsection of religion and the good is often overlooked by the actions of a few.

Yep, still only a few of the denominations. They’re also more of the older style too, what about all the other denominations which aren’t involved?

Not sure what churches you’ve heard of or had involvement in but I think you’ll find there’s a lot who might have a similar message but will say it in a much better way. You’ll also find that there are a lot of people who have had their lives changed by the church and the good they have done.

I think we can all agree that horrendous acts of abuse, murder etc have been committed by both religious and non-religious people. Just as religious and non-religious organisations have tried to cover up such acts. But obviously the vast majority of people regardless of their religious believe condemn those acts.

I’ve known people involved in religion have both good and bad experiences. For some, having a community where they are welcomed and are accepted is something that really benefits them. Others have got very caught up in it and lost all perspective of reality and what’s actually going on in the world around them. But of course that could apply to any other group too - such as the media industry.

3 Likes

WIsh I could have said it as well as you, that’s a pretty good summary there!

2 Likes

Personally, I only subscribe to 2 religions, football and one of common sense.

3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me, forgot it’s Gogglebox night tonight, I’ll be killed if the recording fails again!

2 Likes

If they were allowed to be counted on Census forms, I could imagine many Australians actually saying they have something like “football” or “cricket” as their religion knowing how sport-obsessed this country is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Stumbled upon this logo, looks slightly familiar.

movies-everywhere-logo-featured-black

10 Likes

You’re not the only one:
Capture

8 Likes