Random Thread

Or just use Henry Parkes permanently if they don’t want to keep Elizabeth on there. My understanding was Elizabeth was not due to be replaced on the $5 upon her death, unlike the coins, which would be replaced by the new head, Charles.

2 Likes

10 Likes

At the risk of not wanting to drift off-topic, that quote reminds me of this… :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

This is a random post (who woulda thought in a thread like this :thinking:), but I thought I’d share the backstory of my current profile picture that I recently changed to, after having my previous “WIN-ified” picture during the affiliation swap in 2021.

The PaRappa the Rapper series based off the rhythm games of the same name from the Sony PlayStation brand is a huge part of my life, especially since I became heavily involved in various communities since 2018. I like to collect merchandise from the series too, though my cabinet arrangement is a work in progress.

I began to express that love here as well with the previous profile picture screenshot of the character Katy Kat I had since 2021, but a new year and desire for wanting to create more series related content outside of MediaSpy after somewhat of a hiatus on my other handles called for a change.

So, on the first day of January, I got to work by scanning two pages from the “PaRappa Gets A Job” comic. I liked the panel where PaRappa drifts off to sleep and imagines himself as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice from Disney’s Fantasia. Given my interest of Mickey Mouse as well, I felt it was a good combination of the two, while also reflecting my creative side in a way.

After cropping the panel to my liking, I then scanned the image using the Adobe Capture app which allows you to turn photos or saved images into editable vector objects.

Since I’m not savy at Photoshop (nor own a copy), I had tried to bucket fill each segment using Microsoft Paint however that didn’t work too well, so I instead manually coloured it all in using PowerPoint (yes, PowerPoint) and using the drawing tools with the aid of my Surface Pen. It was quite fun and therapeutic colouring in the full image even though it was painstakingly long to do, coupled with my Surface Pro 7 running hot.

But eventually, it was all complete and here is the finished result! :art::sparkles:

I was sick of staring at it for quite a while creating it and patching up any empty gaps I may have missed while colouring hah, but I was really happy with it in the end, and it was a lot of fun to do.

Hope you enjoyed a different style of post from me! :grin:

8 Likes

This is really cool! I think you mentioned the basis of your Katy Kat profile picture change in 2021 but I’d forgotten what it was. Whenever I saw your avatar it made me think of some mid-afternoon cartoon villain from the 1960s, so that’s always what I assumed it was. And of course, you can’t reverse image search a blue cat with a WIN logo on its face :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It’s also interesting how versatile PowerPoint is. I’ve been using it for business process mapping in lieu of Visio at work, and it handles the task surprisingly well. Great to see you were able to use it for your unconventional purposes too!

3 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment! And yes, I did back during the WIN affiliation from 10 back to Nine, and for the better (I had to search endlessly to find this :face_with_spiral_eyes:):

Haha, you’ll find that Katy Kat is anything but, thankfully. That particular screenshot is from an old Flash animation, though my banner image is taken directly from the 2001 Anime. I chose that picture because she’s a presenter/reporter with a desk and program in a onetime episode.

I have found PowerPoint to be incredibly versatile over the many years I’ve used it. There were times I dabbled with it on the Lab Computers in primary school, though when I got my first computer in October 2006 for my birthday, I self taught myself to do all sorts of creations! All mocks you have seen for me so far are all created within PowerPoint. :slight_smile:

Here’s an example of how far some of my stuff goes back (for some reason it’s in Month/Date/Year):

The ability to edit and create SVG files in recent years has turned its usage up a whole other level!

6 Likes

I can’t remember who mocked up these graphics a few years ago on here, but looks like scammers are using them! Lol

5 Likes

yo Perth MediaSpiers - I kinda want to plan a meetup at some stage, maybe at a pub or somewhere - anyone interested?

2 Likes

I’ve seen similar on my Facebook news feed.

1 Like

Hard to believe it was 20 years ago today that I joined Media Spy.

I visited a Seven News fan website (yes those were a thing back then) and saw they had crappy quality caps of the Perth presenters so I emailed some better quality versions and got a reply saying thanks and that I should join Media Spy. So I did.

I quite enjoyed it for a couple of years before getting in to it with the admins at the time because of a change to the forum structure, so I said screw them and created another forum which ruffled a few feathers to say the least. That forum lasted for 5 years. It went down the toilet as a result of me leaving Australia at the end of 2008. By then Media Spy had undone the changes that caused all the fuss and things went back to how they were.

Many of the “old” posters are no longer here but it is good to see many familiar names still posting here all this time later.

Thanks for 20 years :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Does anyone know what’s going on with APSATTV? For those that know about it. There hasn’t been anything new on there since the 3rd of February.

gesundheit

1 Like

:sob:

He is still posting on Facebook, but I believe he couldn’t get hosting renewed and I believe it was costing him to much so he decided to retire from the website

1 Like

Oh, ok that explains it. Thanks.

Just checked mine it says Joined Dec 29, '15 . So only 8 years for me .

That was about the date of the new forum starting so you were probably around before that. My date is 1st Jan 2016 but I know I was around for a long time before that too. I’m not sure how long but I think I might be pushing around 20 years too.

2 Likes

I think I am up to around 17 myself.

6 months after I left my last job I still haven’t anything suitable.I tried the Traffic control and soon realised its not for me,the cleaning didn’t suit me, I gave it my best shot though.My knees are buggered I have difficulty in bending down ,etc.,I’ve recently had them X-rayed again and I’m sure that will show more damage ,arthritis in both knees I had when I had X-ray 3 years ago.My lower back is still a problem too.I’m not giving up,I’LL look into volunteering,to keep me occupied for now. I have to start going for a walk every day too as the saying goes, ‘Use it or Lose it’.
I know I made the right decision to walk away from my job of 29 years last August,physically and mentally I was struggling and I would have gotten worse if I’d stayed there.

4 Likes

Thank you, I will

1 Like