Random Thread

I’ve had my 0403 number for about 10 years now.

Who knew :open_mouth: - someone tell Southern Cross and WIN it’s OK to run 3 minute news updates if they want.

(Credit to episode of Rosehaven for discovering 3 minute noodles).

9 Likes

My number’s started with 0447 for pretty much the same period, having gone through 8-10 phones (some unlocked, others locked to Telstra).

1 Like

This is one of my favourite pieces of media. It’s a trailer that Hoyts would play before a movie started (with info about the No Smoking policy and other stuff like that), which dates back to some time in the 1980s. This would DEFINITELY get me in the mood to begin watching a movie.

I wasn’t even alive in the 80s, yet it’s so perfect at hitting what you’d expect in terms of 80s aesthetics that it makes me feel nostalgic for it. I’m fairly sure I came across a much better quality version of this about 5-7 years ago, but you can still get what I’m talking about.

There’s a version with better audio here. It makes the experience even better.:

A Telstra WAP demo video from 2000. Ten minutes of browsing on WAP? This guy must be loaded!

3 Likes

Can’t remember if they were charging per kilobyte or per minute for the service at this point - either way that WAP session would have got into the hundreds of dollars :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

On Telstra’s Communic8 Pre Paid it was charged at $1.10 per minute, the same rate as voice calls.

1 Like

my favourite

8 Likes

And it was VERY slow… It would often just time out and not give you any data at all.

I had a Nokia 3330, the same phone as the iconic 3310, the only difference being it had WAP.

But to me, it was the first glimpse into what mobile phones would become today.

I love how Optus sends out letters with “Updates to our Privacy Policy” and how they are so careful with our data when sending it on to third parties etc etc etc

I have not had an account with Optus since 2006… so I wonder how concerned are they about privacy when they are doing unsolicited mail outs based on 10+ year old personal data

I also received the same letter addressed to the previous occupant of this house so that information would have been pre-2006 if not earlier

1 Like

I remember being on my Alcatel phone (I really wanted a Nokia but my parents wouldn’t come to the party) and constantly using the WAP for sports scores and the latest weather information and temperatures for when I was out and couldn’t check the BoM website. I remember doing a fair bit of WAP browsing on my phone but was disappointed I couldn’t get any of the cool things like wallpaper pictures (the black and white dot matrix ones) and ringtones.

Speaking of ringtones, anyone else remember when you used to have to program your own ringtones using the numbers and the websites listing all the codes to do them. Kids these days don’t understand the struggles!

On the Telstra side PocketNews only closed in March this year. Although it can still be accessed on Android phones at least through SIM Tool Kit. Making any selection just triggers a SMS being sent to you telling you that the service is no longer operating.

1 Like

Hoyts have had some crackers (see below). But the one where it just goes HHHHHOOOOOOYYYYYYTTTTTSSSS gave me nightmares as a little kid - usually because Dad left the telly on during the middle of the night and by then all the stuff Hoyts had rights to aired late night, at least around my way.

1 Like

I’d been using the Pocket News even up until a couple of years ago when I was in really poor reception areas and wanted to get Cats score updates. lol

1 Like

Dear Doctor…

I wanted pain relief. Not constipation. I do not want to be spending my enforced day off sitting on the toilet…:poop::weary:

3 Likes

:crazy_face:

I raise you this one -

I have not destroyed any toilets. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

While the old ones are pretty great, some of the more recent Hoyts Cinema Idents (I think the 2nd one is the most recent/current Hoyts Cinema ID) don’t look too bad either IMO:

Although as much as I’m glad there’s at least a few decent quality examples of Australian Cinema Idents on YouTube, probably the best audio/visual experience is seeing them on the big screen between the commercials/trailers ending and the movie starting! :star_struck:

This thread is starting to give me the shits.

2 Likes

:poop: