Random Radio

I think Random Radio covers this perfectly. That’s what is meant by random.

4 Likes

You do realise that said thread was a none-too-subtle warning against making trivial threads, don’t you?

1 Like

Yes, my reply was a joke.

1 Like

http://i.imgur.com/U7Ghu2s.mp4

2 Likes

Hope this fits random radio :smiling_imp:

2ch is no longer able to heard on the tune in radio app. In iheartradio it’s mono, in the radio app it’s stereo.

2ue (oops I mean talking lifestyle), is now stereo in tunein radio , radio app and iheartradio.

1 Like

It might be of interest that 107.9FM in Sydney is currently on air and running test programing for “Show Radio” before the full launch of this two week pop-up station from AFTRS at the Homebush Showgrounds on Thursday.

Talking Lifestyle in stereo? Gee that’ll make the talk about garden compost and getting rid of stretch marks so much better to listen to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes their wonderful new jingle the most unannoying of all time, sounds great in stereo.:sunglasses:.

Has Talking Lifestyle actually updated their jingle?

I don’t know if they’re still using this but that “Talking Lifestyle’s Talkin’ About It” jingle (used from the September launch here in Sydney) would probably annoy me quite a bit if I had to listen to the station for an extended period of time!

I should of removed “new” for sydney listeners, its not new anymore. It is a little bit of an ear worm.

1 Like

Citizen band radio users no longer required to upgrade equipment

Citizen band (CB) radio users will no longer have to replace their older-style 40 channel equipment following a review by the regulator of a prohibition that was to have taken effect from 1 July this year.

Following extensive national consultation, the Australian Communications and Media Authority has decided to allow continued use of 40 channel equipment alongside the newer 80 channel equipment.

In 2011 a number of changes were made to regulatory arrangements for the Citizen Band Radio Service, to reduce and prevent congestion and interference in the 400MHz band.

The ACMA has also identified the potential for interlinking of CB repeaters to provide significant benefit to CB users, particularly in regional and remote areas. The ACMA has come to the view that these benefits outweigh potential interference from interlinking repeaters in some circumstances and that there are sufficient alternative regulatory mechanisms to deal with potential interference problems when they arise.

‘Following monitoring, surveying and consultation, the ACMA has removed the time limit on the use of 40 channel 25 kHz equipment and removed the limit on the use of CB repeaters for interlinking,’ said acting ACMA chairman Richard Bean. ‘The prohibition on the supply and sale of new 40 channel equipment will stay in effect, with continuing CB user uptake of the 80 channel equipment expected to further reduce congestion into the future.’

‘Congestion in the band is at a low point and manageable through ACMA’s routine monitoring and enforcement measures,’ Richard Bean added.

Commonsense prevails.

1 Like

Amazingly, Townsville, with a population of just over 200,000, have 4 commercial FM stations, including a rock station (Power 100) that doesn’t take any talk-based or live sport coverage (with the exception of Sportsday at 7-8pm weeknights). They also have an AC station (4TO), CHR (Hit) & Hot AC (Star). However, on the flip side, they don’t have any AM commercial stations, which is what Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth have.

In fact, between 1999 & 2005, Townsville had more commercial FM stations than Brisbane, Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast. Not only that, even Cairns & Mackay had more commercial FM stations than Bris/GC/SC between 1999 & 2001! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Very true. And highlights how illogical and protectionist ACMA is.

2 Likes

Brianc68, I can’t understand them and I don’t think many can mate. :grimacing:

1 Like

Townsville still has more stations than Gold Coast and Nambour even after both of those areas got new licenses in the early 2000s.

The only argument I can consider in response is that Townsville is a far more isolated market with less spillover/overlap from adjacent metro markets. Good portions of the Gold Coast and Nambour markets receive a listenable signal from Brisbane

Of course, the Gold Coast in particular has grown immensely in recent years and has a population more than double that of the Townsville market, so even taking fortuitous reception into account it seems hard to justify that discrepancy to the far northern cousin

5 Likes

Gold Coast 624k vs Townsville 180k

More than THREE times the population, and still 1 fewer commercial radio station. Though you could argue Radio 97 is the quasi 4th…

I think spectrum is the biggest issue here, not overlap.

2 Likes

As I said once before, I could never understand why Darwin has only 2 while Townsville which is around the size of Darwin has 4.

2 Likes

It probably would have been 3 in Darwin had the original owners of 8DN / Hot100 not been very naughty.

2 Likes