Random Radio

actually the pioneer head unit i posted above that i installed into my yaris has DAB+, FM and AM (as well as spotify, ipod / iphone, pandora, CD, DVD, Bluetooth and USB)

I had Classic Rock Radio on a few weeks back and drove past their studios - no signal.

I think we should do what Japan has done - expand the FM band and let AM stations switch into the new segment. Weā€™d just be doing the opposite - adding 76-87.5 - but they now make radios that tune from 76 to 108.

Most radios now would just do that in software, and would be quite capable of tuning down to 76MHz.

3 Likes

Good idea, but you still have the same issue - getting people to update (if indeed it could be done at all) or to upgrade to a 76-108 MHz radio as you have getting them to upgrade to DAB+.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a huge problem getting people to upgrade to DAB - I think the problem is that DAB isnā€™t suitable for getting all of Australia onto digital radio.

I think that could be an expanded FM band, perhaps giving the stations DRM+ allocations in that portion of the band, and letting them choose fully digital or IBOC with an analogue FM signal - AM conversions could choose the latter, while smaller community stations, narrowcasters and those otherwise missed by DAB could choose the fully digital mode.

1 Like

Iā€™d love FM at 70 MHz- the Sporadic E would be great! The original USA (Edwin Armstrong) FM band operated at 40 MHz, yielding Trans-Pacific reception from Koreaā€¦ or so Iā€™ve heard.

After 3 days of being forced to listen to 97.3 Iā€™ve already had enough of their repetitive playlist,the same 50 songs all the time :confused:Next week we have to listen to 101.1 FM Radio Logan. I should be able to pick that station up on my radio

1 Like

What area are you in? 101 fm has a good reception range. A do a program every Saturday at 4pm and have a regular listener at Helensvale It can be heard very clearly in the Brisbane area also in Cabulture and Iā€™ve had someone ring me from Toowoomba.

My workplace is in Salisbury ,we should be able to receive this station on our radios ok

Yeah I think Iā€™d rather listen to silence than 97.3 all day. Any luck with River 94.9?

2 Likes

I should have suggested River 94,9 but we have to all listen to a station that everyone can receive on their radios.

I would have thought 94.9 would have much better reception in Salisbury than 101 from Logan.

Limit yourself to a random community station per day and youā€™d save yourself a lot of pain :).

Iā€™m able to get great reception on my work radio for River 94.9 but if my radio didnā€™t have a proper aerial I have poor reception.also itā€™s where my radio is ,other radios in the same area a few metres away canā€™t receive this station very well

I was thinking you might try adjusting the radio position and orientation in an attempt to get 4KQ. AM antennas inside radios are usually directional so swivelling the radio around might reduce the interference and improve reception. Theoretically the front of the radio should in your case face east towards the 4KQ towers but you might have to adjust the radioā€™s location to reduce interference.

I tried moving it around but I still had bad static when listening to AM

Let us know what you think. I have found their approach to broadcasting to resemble something out of the 80ā€™s with How Green is My Cactus, commercial newsfeed from 4BC/2GB and other dated elements.

In car reception of even the strongest Brisbane AM service, 612 ABC is laden with RFI in some sections of McCarthy and Evans Roads Salisbury. Only those in premises on such roads would know how bad.

Today when I arrived at work I found out that this week we all have to listen to 4AAA 98.9FM :confused:
Bored with this station already, I donā€™t mind some country music but not all dayšŸ˜•.Next week Triple M ,week after Nova,then Hit 105.

What happened to 101 Logan FM? Interested to hear your thoughts of it.

I think we should be listening to 101.1 FM instead.I listened to them for a while yesterday ,they were playing some great music.then I noticed everyone else was listening to 98.9 FM

Your office sounds like a nightmare :slight_smile:

Maybe you could get them into 99.7
I know itā€™s a northside station but they play great music and the signal is pretty good.