Random Radio

I wasn’t the only one whom was using a Bluetooth speaker,one guy has been using one for a while now.I can still play my playlists from my phone in the car or at home .Finding a station that everyone agrees on will be hard too :slightly_frowning_face:

Today at work we were asked what station we like best ,I guess it will be majority rules which ever station had the most votes from everyone that’s what we’ll all have to listen to .I still think we should have a different one on every day but I don’t want to have to listen to Hit 105 or Nova🙁

1 Like

Oh that would be horrible! I’d have to bring headphones.

Well if you’re lucky, there’ll be an even split between Hit and Nova listeners and then the awfulness of first past the post will be of some benefit when you’re all unhappily listening to 97.3

1 Like

We’re not allowed to wear headphones at work,it’s a safety thing ,you can’t hear if a forklift is around so you can move out of its way :confused:

1 Like

Finally at work we’ve sorted out what stations to have our radios on.Next week 4KQ ,week after that 97.3, than Triple M week after that,etc.Before I went home today I fiddled around with my radio to see if it will receive AM and it does.In some areas in the factory radios can’t pick up AM ,too much interference from fluorescent lighting and machinery Where I was working before I couldn’t pick up any AM stations

Is The River included?
That seems to be your favourite of the wider Brissy region stations?

1 Like

Yeah AM doesn’t work in my workplace at all.

1 Like

Nobody suggested River 94.9 .
,I should have

2 Likes

I gather you can’t receive Rebel/Breeze at your workplace?

No I can’t,I can on my car radio though

Yesterday at work we were all listening to 4KQ without much success.On my radio I could hear it but too much static,was very annoying.Someone else said they couldn’t receive AM at all.The rest of the week we all have to listen to 97.3 instead :confused:

1 Like

ACMA should really look into converting all AM stations into FM, even if they need to reshuffle FM for more space. I think it is a big disadvantage for stations like 4KQ and all the other AMers. I have found static a big problem with AM stations these days with the type buildings around, power lines and the environment that we are living now. Some night I even find it hard to listen to our local AM station because of the static around :confused:

4 Likes

As much as the idea of converting all AM stations to FM sounds lovely, the FM band is pretty congested in/around the capital cities these days.

1 Like

ACMA are doing something about it, at least for the regional solus markets (ie. markets with no commercial competition) with its commercial AM stations: http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/changes-for-regional-radio-am-fm-conversions-and-other-variations

However, they’re not doing the same for metro & other ‘non-metro’ competing markets. Whilst I do acknowledge the signal issues the AM stations face, on the programming side of things, particularly the music stations, at least they play music that the commercial FM stations wouldn’t dare touch these days. In fact, 4KQ in Brisbane are giving some of the local commercial FM stations (particularly 4MMM) a run for their money in the recent ratings.

4 Likes

At lease it is a start mate. :slight_smile: It just a shame about the congested FM band in and around the cap cities.

The playing field has been levelled a bit with digital radio (and also online streaming too).

If you can get good FM, you should be able to get digital.

Problem is getting people to buy digital radios, only 1 in 4 people have one I think. In car listening is even more problematic, today’s units aren’t so easily replaceable.

1 Like

so true. when i upgraded my yaris to a pioneer AVH-X3800DAB it was tricky even with the universal loom (there were cables for the antenna, the microphone for the bluetooth function and even a cable to clip onto the handbrake cable (if installed legally…))

and thats from a car that doesn’t have custom bezels, navigation or anything else controlled by the radio

2 Likes

They could easily find a couple of FM frequencies in Brisbane if they took a good look at some of the community stations clogging up valuable FM space. Look at 98.1 4EB. An ethnic talk station on FM!!! So that makes two of those, including SBS-FM. Yet no Classic Hits or Smooth on FM. It’s a joke.

They could probably even keep the community stations on FM if they re-stacked the stations in Gold Coast - Brisbane - Sunshine Coast.

3 Likes

Completely agree about AM. It’s barely receivable anymore in metropolitan areas. Can’t even pick it up in the car in the Brisbane CBD as it disappears in static! Completely disappears in streets like Elizabeth St in the city. And no chance in most buildings. And tried buying an AM radio lately?

2 Likes