Random Radio

So was there nothing on 101.9 at all?

Just got to a radio - 101.9 sounds like it just cut from the MMM feed to the Fox feed, but thereā€™s a heap of static (which isnā€™t present on any of the other high powered FMs). 105.1 also has some static, but is much more listenable than 101.9.

7:59pm edit: 101.9 is cutting between the two feeds intermittently, no RDS on either 101.9 or 105.1.
8:03pm edit: 101.9 is back to the Fox feed, quality is progressively improving

2 Likes

Thanks!

Re the staticā€¦ I wonder if they had to switch to their low power Bourke St TX in the CBD?

1 Like

Still a rubbish signal, RDS is getting through however

2 Likes

Yes the 94.1 frequency on the Gold Coast is also a ā€œBrisbaneā€ frequency as is Hot Tomato on 102.9
Meanwhile Juice, Metro and the other commercial stations on the GC arenā€™t. Highlights what a mess the SEQ frequencies are and surely shows they could RE-stack and fit in at least one or two more commercial FM stations in Brisbane.

3 Likes

Shambolic, largest commercial radio operator canā€™t get basic engineering right in one of their biggest markets.

1 Like

This question came up on ā€œThe Chaseā€ this afternoon.

ā€œWhich of the following is the government funded youth radio station?ā€

a. Triple J
b. Radio National
c. Triple M

It was to be answered by ā€˜Supernerdā€™ā€¦

His answer:

b. Radio National

4 Likes

A question for our esteemed Kiwi membersā€¦ why do Auckland and Bay Of Plenty (Tauranga) share the same frequencies? The BOP is very hard to receive here as a result; yesterdayā€™s Es opening was a rare exception with Auckland not present for the most part.

I visited the BOP in 2004 and recall Solid Gold FM was on 92.5 MHz; this became The Sound and moved up 100 kHz at some juncture. I vaguely recall 90.2 MHz The Rock Auckland being audible just out of Tauranga going towards Rotorua, so the frequency clash wouldnā€™t be benign.

1 Like

Yesterday I was using my Bluetooth speaker at work and listening to my tunes from my iPhone. I can do that if I get bored with listening to the radio but I only listen to River 94.9 if I do

if you have Optus as your mobile provider you should do what many of us do and grab iHeart and simply stream any station from Australia, NZ or the US all day - no data used with iHeart :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™m with Vodafone :slightly_smiling_face:

Really?

I think he means just those that are on iHeart Radio, which is not every station.

which is what I said - ā€œyou should do what many of us do and grab iHeart and simply stream any station from Australia, NZ or the US all dayā€

:slight_smile:

now Iā€™ve had 3 coffees and am awake, I see what @TV.Cynic meant - yep, all the IHEART stations! Sorry!

Explains the hack in the story

In my section at work we will all have to have our radios on the same station , at the moment Iā€™m listening to River 94.9 on my radio,one of my workmates listens to Triple M,and someone else is listening to Nova 106.9.Some one today suggested we have a different station on every day ,one day we all listen to Triple M ,the next day we listen to 97.3 etc ,Iā€™m happy to do that because if we arenā€™t allowed to have radios on at all the day would go more slowly.No more Bluetooth speaker anymore either because might get in trouble if caught fiddling with my phone,changing playlists,etc,:confused:

Ah yes the age old problem with radios on different stations in the office :). Iā€™ve been there. Itā€™s a good idea to have everyone on the same station and rotate stations each day. You should get them all to buy digital radios for even more choice!

1 Like

There is a potential problems with digital radios though, as though donā€™t all process the signal at the same speed so the outputs can be out of phase.

2 Likes

We have an internet radio plugged into our PABX and whatever station its tuned to can be accessed by dialing *7511