Random Radio

I still have a tatty looking old “Vega 95.3fm - on your wavelength” L/S T shirt. And 'Vega variety - Vega 95.3fm" sticker.

3 Likes

Speaking of station stickers - can you still go into a radio station’s office and pick up a sticker? Or do they only give them away at events and what have you?

I think for the most part you can still pick them up at: community, commercial & regional ABC stations.
Plenty of stations don’t print them & some only print them or have them available for special events.
I think I grabbed the Vega FM stickers from a petrol service station at the time.

Radio station stickers used to be a popular sight on vehicles in the 70’s & 80’s - much rarer to see these days.

I wonder if any radio station stickers are being given away at the Sydney show in show bags or at other major metro annual show days etc?

1 Like

I did lots of that back in the day. Easier when a lot of stations in Melbourne were in the CBD. Nowadays I don’t think there’s any apart from 3AW on Spencer Street?

In the olden days (80s) there was 3LO/3AR, 3DB/TT, 3KZ, 3AW, 3XY, Triple M. I think 3UZ was a little further out at Carlton.

1 Like

I couldn’t say if either station (especially Max FM since their logo/slight name change towards the end of last year) is still producing/sending out stickers now, but I got these in 2015 & 2016 respectively:

Personally I’d love to get some stickers (and/or any other free logo-splashed merch if that’s available) from Sydney radio stations at some point but I’m not really sure which stations are still doing them and if so, where’s the best place to get them. Could one simply ask the question to station’s social media accounts? Or do you have to attend some of these station-sponsored events to get this stuff?

Brown Mountain was originally going to have a commercial service it back in the 1960’s. According to the 1964-65 ABCB annual report, Channel 11 was to be allocated for a commercial service from there. Whether if it was to be a standalone service or a relay of CTC or WIN is unknown as it was never commissioned.

I think what they could have done is have transmitters for both CTC and WIN at Brown Mountain transmitting to their respective areas using very highly directional antennas. WIN could have been on Ch6 and CTC on Ch11 (Ch10 could not have been used due to TV oscillator interference from Ch6). 100kw in the main direction and 1kw in the other direction.

3 Likes

in Shepparton before SBS came on the local Mt Major transmitter in 2001 you needed three antennas to get all 5 channels: SBS UHF-29 from Mt Alexander, WIN VHF-6 vertical and the others on UHF from Mt Major. At my parent’s place they had such a setup. You still see these setups on most houses there today.

3 Likes

Listening to the beatles shows on RRR fm current broadcasting on the Ryde local station. The online stream sounds ok but the fm sound is so much better, same earphones etc. Using my sangean digital radio. The mobile is the htc u11 with a DAC dongle. Even there is background static, (My reception is not great) the sound quality is so much better.

Will Tradio on 4WK and other stations end soon too?

The few times I’ve tuned on, Mark Plummer isn’t exactly awash with calls.

For a minute there, I thought they were talking about Bill Caralis! :rofl:

I remembered my login for the Stereo.net forum (ex DTV Forum). Here’s one of my earliest posts. Cringeworthy stuff. I was 18 at the time but that doesn’t excuse it.

2ST sucks. It’s easy listening, bad quality and has shocking ads. Wave fm has gone downhill, bring back ‘Totally 80’s’ at 8 pm. 2GO is muddy from where I live although I’m in a bad spot for Central Coast transmissions. Triple M plays the best variety of 80’s. For the record, here’s a few evaluations of other stations in the NSW (Newcastle Sydney Wollongong) market.

c 91.3- Great variety, bad and irrelevant ads (like the sleeping giant)

Power FM 94.9- Standard pop station, nothing remarkable. Muddy into most of Sydney.

The Edge 96.1- Top 40 S**T! Covers the whole of Sydney with this rubbish.

Wave FM- 96.5- Downhill

NOVA 969- You listen for the cheesy gimmicks rather than the music (Bianca Dye is the stereotypical 80’s clueless presenter)

i 98- Standard pop station, good in the mid- 90’s.

B-Rock- 99.3 OK, not in NSW but I can get a muddy signal. Great variety of classic and modern rock (pity 2NSB gets in the way).

SEA FM 101.3- Standard pop station with ‘Big Kahuna’ at night the main attraction. Sometimes does good countdowns like the ‘A-Z of the 80’s’

WS FM 101.7- Standard variety of classic rock. Good station but a little repetitive. Will be under pressure when 95.3 (eventually) gets on air.

2ST- see above.

KO FM 102.9 (Newie)- Now THIS is a good 80’s station. Plays ‘80 mins of the 80s’ at a time when everyone can listen (8 pm). Kinda like 2GO, but with a more convenient 80’s timeslot. Pity noone south of Balgowlah can get it.

2DAY FM- Top 40 rigid S**T. Used to be good back in the early 90’s, but now is competing with NOVA.

Star 1045- Nova clone with 2 more ads but a lot more variety. Too much like Sea FM.

Triple M- The best station for variety in Sydney. But sometimes it gets a little too weird (like Michael Jackson- Beat it), and the random news times are a little annoying. But MMM is THE station for good variety and comedy. Must get Ashlee Simpson off the very liberal playlist though.

New FM (105.3)- Vampiric station ripping off NOVA, triple M and others. Used to have the slogan “Something different” and surprising DMG didn’t take action. Then again, the signal can’t be heard in any of Sydney except for Avalon/Palm Beach.

Triple J- Weird and repetitive with crap aussie hip hop in the middle of the day. Only good shows now are ‘Super request’ and the ‘net 50’.

Mix 1065- Sydney is too fast paced for this slow and sleepy station. However, plays the odd good 80’s.

NX FM (106.9)- 2DAY FM in Newcastle. Identical format but with ‘106 min music marathons’ and more high school hits.

2GO- Good variety of 70s/80s, again could’ve got into trouble with DMG by using the slogan “The local you know” as opposed to Star FM’s “Your new local”

1079 Lithgow- Top 40 standard, but has a penchant for really new music which is surprising for a regional station (I heard Lazyboy: Underwear goes inside the pants on 1079 before NOVA). Plays some retro in the middle of the day.

9 Likes

Yes, I remember your post that you made back in 2005 in the old DTV Forums (I was also a member there).

Back then, Wave FM might’ve went downhill from what it was a few years earlier, but it’s nothing compared to what we’re subjected to hearing now, in which there’s almost no difference between them & i98. In fact, i98 might be slightly more preferable to listen to than Wave these days, whereas years ago, it would’ve been the opposite.

As for 2ST, at least it has become more listenable. C91.3 was better in 2005 than what it’s sounding now, with Cranney’s “Classic 9 @ 9” still present at the time. WS played quite plenty of songs that wouldn’t get airplay on there now, a lot of which only gets played on MMM under their “Rock’s Greatest Hits” format.

2GO, before the days of SCA & their centralised “one-size fits all” playlist for most of its stations, used to be quite a decent alternative to the Sydney stations, in which their playlist was very adventurous compared to now. Musically, I preferred 2GO over Wave FM, and in some ways, I still do, but not by as much as before. In fact, when comparing a Wollongong station with a Central Coast station, Wave FM is now more comparable with Star 104.5 rather than with 2GO.

KO was the one station I was desperately trying to receive over 2ST during tropo, but nowadays, I would rather have 2ST on 102.9, especially since KO became MMM & sounding rather generic under SCA.

In quite a number of ways, it’s quite sad on what commercial radio in Sydney & surrounding areas has become in nearly 15 years. :frowning:

5 Likes

I was also evidently wanting more 80s music on Sydney radio. Now, everywhere is awash with it. 2005 was just before everyone got uber-nostalgic for everything 80s.

The 90s are having their moment in the sun now, too, though it’s a little muted compared to the 80s revival which preceded it.

3 Likes

Something I have always liked about Move FM is there ability to have a good music playlist, but that’s about it I can’t say much for there shows/presenters (as they don’t have any except one) but music wise its good.

2 Likes

I agree. Most of the time every third song they play is an older hit that the metro commercials won’t touch anymore.

But still a LOT of potential for the station… fortunately their imaging is on point.

2 Likes

Really? I heard next to none when in market in January.

They have the same VO as ex-Mix now 2CH.

Cold IDs and sweeps only, but very slick.

1 Like

Well, it is 2ICE after all.

5 Likes

What prizes have you won on radio?

Here is my list,

150 dollars in i98fm with the quickie back in the early 90s
Dinner for two on the 2ue Stan Zemanek show.
80s cd on FUN superdigi.
Bee Gees cd on Dr Ross Walker show 2ue

Thats all I remember.

2 Likes

My old man won a copy of the PC game ‘Need for Speed 3 - Hot Pursuit’ off some spin-the-wheel type draw on Gold 104 back in the late 90s. I still have it too!

3 Likes