Random Radio

Because from my experience kids these days also love older music. My god daughter is 17 but loves 80s music and even ABBA. Yes she was a One Direction fanatic but she also knows all the words to Scenes From An Italian Restaurant/ Billy Joel!

She’s not alone either. I was recently at a high school music trivia contest and it was the 80s hits that drew the biggest response from the kids.

Face it, they’re into the older stuff too.

2 Likes

Yes, but why can’t at least one of the three stations be a true CHR station. Because at the moment, it gets sickening listening to three Hot AC stations that are all playing Hits and Old School (sorry, couldn’t think of a better describing word). Why can’t at least one station play Top 40??

I know what you mean but I don’t think there’s enough churn in the top 40 these days. i.e. songs stay around in the top 40 longer as there’s not as many new songs coming in to replace them for whatever reason. If stations played the top 40 only it would be stagnant for months.

It’s not like previous decades (60s, 70s, 80s) where new music was constantly being added. And good new music at that.

2 Likes

I agree that there should be at least one station trying to be different. The Edge is almost there by playing a lot more new music…but they also play some Urban music that probably shouldn’t be played at all and is a turn off for general listeners.

Also, there aren’t any 10-17 year old listening to the radio during the day so you can understand them targeting different denominations then.

Personally, I think the smartest move for one of these stations would be to be CHR at Breakfast, Drive and Nights and be Hot AC during the day.

2 Likes

The 10-17 growth numbers reported would be pretty accurate, and I’d assume are a direct result of the 3 big music brands (KIIS,SCA,Nova) all skewing older in their formats. The older audience they are targeting have kids in the 10-17 group that would be indicative of the gains.

And what’s been said previously about younger demographics enjoying 80’s and 90’s music is very true in this day and age.

3 Likes

I’ll give a rundown of station formats in different times IMO.
BREAKFAST
Fitzy and Wippa: Hot AC/CHR, Half and Half really some quite recent songs and some not so recent.
Grant Ed and Ash: Hot AC/AC, Similar to Fitzy and Wippa, maybe skewing just a tad older.
Kyle and Jackie O: CHR, Even if it’s one song every half hour, it’s mainly recent.
DRIVE
Kate Tim and Marty: Hot AC/CHR, Same as Fitzy and Wippa really.
Will and Woody: Hot AC/CHR, different mix of music to KTM, but ultimately not that new.
Hughesy and Kate: Hot AC/CHR, Very similar music mix to KTM and vice versa.
NIGHTS
Smallzy Surgery: CHR, songs that should be mixed in with the workday.
Ash London/ Danny Lakey Late Show: CHR, again songs that need to be in the workday playlist.
Celeb HQ/ Jase & PJ Replayed: Hot AC/AC, not many new songs at all, mainly ‘Old School Anthems’.

Just did a comparison of the 10-11 hour just before actually:

It’s also not just an Australian thing either. There aren’t many markets where pure CHR stations exist at the moment, or top the ratings.

Take a look at LA. The top 3 stations at the moment are AC, Hot AC and Classic Hits.
KOST has regained No 1 albeit with their Christmas format in December, but they were trending up in Oct and Nov also. MyFM is No 2 with Hot AC and KEarth at 3 with their 80s classic hits.

KIIS is No 4 and though officially a CHR station they’re not. Take a look at the playlist. Lots of music from early 2000s like Crazy in Love/Beyonce. There isn’t a pure CHR station anywhere near the top in LA.

Similar story all over North America.

It’s probably just a cycle and CHR May come back into more favour when music improves and there’s more good new music about. Maybe…

2 Likes

Because they don’t have a lot of money.

Advertisers want those with higher incomes.

3 Likes

A couple of Beatles songs today on 4KQ (as part of 25 years in 25 days).

2 Likes

i’ve been reading about operation london bridge (the plans for the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II) and they were talking about Orbit lights and sombre playlists. everyhting i’ve read talks about the UK but i’m interested in australian radio.

do aussie stations have plans? do we have orbit lights? otherwise i guess the wires will go mental. i’m interested if all stations would do anything - i’m thinking some won’t, but the ABC definitely would

It would certainly get a lot of coverage on talk/news radio stations, but I can’t imagine music stations doing anything?

1 Like

With respect to New Zealand, RNZ National has said the following according to this article:

…However, the ever-ready state broadcaster RNZ does have written guidelines and instructions for the death of the monarch or prime minister, spokesman John Barr says.

It includes a ban on playing Freddie Mercury’s Queen, or any punk music (Sex Pistols’ God Save the Queen is definitely off-limits), in favour of “instrumental background music”.

1 Like

I’d say there wouldn’t be much beyond extensive news coverage on most stations. I actually doubt even the ABC would do too much differently. ABC TV would have some specials lined up though I’m sure.

1 Like

I have my playlist of Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead ready, locked and loaded.

2 Likes

But until then, keep playing God Save the Queen by The Sex Pistols. :stuck_out_tongue:

God save the queen
She’s not a human being
and there’s no future
And England’s dreaming

1 Like

I’m hearing that following the passing of the Duke of Edinburgh, a moratorium will be placed on playing “Cars” by Gary Numan.

3 Likes

Or the Cars, Drive

Is it just me? I really find the radio app ad annoying. Being in love with the radio and cannot leave.

1 Like

I know this goes back a couple of weeks, but I’m just going back over some posts, & noted no ones answered this?

ERP, is an estimated level of power, made up of transmitter power out, feed line losses, combiner/filter losses, & antenna gain or sometimes loss.
This will give you an Estimated Radiation Power level in watts & for FM all the variables means it could be anything.
It is a theoretical calculated figure that can only be roughly measured & converted to dB.

On the other hand, with AM, you’ll have transmitter power out, some loses in feed lines & combiner (if used), & the the mast is roughly a 1:1 gain.

AM uses transmit power out as a said transmit power, but CMF or Cymomotive Force is a vector & an actual exacting measurable figure.
Under ACMA specs it’s measured in mV/m at a distance of 1km from the transmitter (mast/antenna), far enough away for the reactive components of the field to be sufficiently negligible.

To generalize, FM is an estimated power out, & AM is transmit power out given the antenna has no gain, but that is more or less meaningless for AM given the power depends on the level of modulation.

A 5kW AM transmitter at 100% modulation will be around 5kW out, but at 0% modulation (dead air) will be much less, & as AM is modulated by the Amplitude of the input, the power out changes constantly as music is played or speech is spoken & the amplitude of the input varies almost infinitely with the dynamic range of the program.

Brandon could probably answer the AM more clearly as he has more AM experience than me.

3 Likes