Random Radio

I quite often listen to Gold as its on at work, decided to stream WS on the weekend, noticed a number of 2000’s songs that I havent heard on Gold.

You only have to look at their logs on Online Radio Box to see the difference between the two.

WS: Free online radio stations – listen for free at OnlineRadioBox.com
Gold 104.3: Free online radio stations – listen for free at OnlineRadioBox.com

1 Like

Thanks @TV-Expert, I know the differences, what I’m surprised in this day of one size fits all that ARN have chosen divergent strategies for sister stations.

2 Likes

The Motorola was the exciter for the old AMPFET … I dont see how they could/would of removed it without replacing it.
the New Nautel had an internal exciter… the Harris had been dead for a long time!

As for the links… they did have Digital TFT en/decoders… however the nudgee decoder blew up so I converted it to analogue and left it as that

2 Likes

Notice the radio guide app does not have 3aw :slight_smile: . Its missing the 98.3 FM for the Gold 1423 AM station.

In relation to @Laoma 's post in the ACE Radio thread, there’s a few I know of

Hit Mid North Coast - does mention both 102.3 and 105.1, but only maybe once or twice an hour, moreso during breakfast.

2RE Taree - does mention Gloucester and Forster repeaters

2GF Grafton - I think does mention 103.9 for Yamba and Maclean. @Paul_Covo_Covington might be able to confirm.

NOW FM Moree - I think rotates a frequency mention between their 5 translators at times. eg. will mention 98.3 and one of the others. @hatdj will know. I don’t know if 2VM does this.

Power FM Bega & Batemans Bay - will mention both regularly

Radio 97 - will mention southern Gold Coast and Mullumbimby relays.

4 Likes

I confirmed 6ix does mention 105.7 FM. Is wsfm the only one?

1 Like

I don’t think Triple M Port Mid North Coast mentions their frequencies any more, now that there’s a 3rd one at Laurieton.

And I don’t think FM100.3 at Armidale mentions 89.3 at Walcha.

Or Power FM Muswellbrook for 102.7 at Merriwa.

I know there’ll be others.

1 Like

At NOW FM We have a rotation of town sweepers that mention the different towns & frequencies in different liners. Eg Narrabri’s 98.3 NOW FM & The next one will be Goondiwindi’s 88.7 NOW FM. On air we just brand as NOW FM without mentioning the frequencies. There is 6 of them so it gets too cluttered and confusing to mention them all the time. 2VM dosnt mention frequencies at all

4 Likes

Power FM Murray Bridge’s sweepers rotate between the main 98.7 frequency and the repeaters at Mount Barker 100.3 and Victor Harbor 99.7.

Flow FM rotates between the various frequencies on the feed in their sweepers.

None of the Adelaide stations mention the foothills repeaters

1 Like

I wonder what awareness is like for them? I don’t know how bad reception is in those areas, but would many people just leave it on the main frequencies and accept a poorer signal?

Same with the Sunshine Coast stations that have activated their Noosa translators.

The transmitter site is actually in the Adelaide CBD for those who aren’t aware. The intended coverage area is the Adelaide Foothills because the foothill suburbs are shaded from the Loftier peak to the east.

3 Likes

Wonder what the coverage is like over Adelaide?

I try 2gn, I did not hear the am frequency let alone 106.1 at Crookwell. I don’t think the Canberra stations mention the Tuggeranong frequencies. Have to listen normally if I go to Canberra 2ca is my choice.

Another group of stations I have to try is 2xl. From memory I think they do mention.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen of coverage maps and LAPs, coverage of the Adelaide Foothills TXs is very directional to the south and east. With very little to the west and north. Intended coverage suburbs would include Rostrevor, Glen Osmond and down towards O’Halloran Hill.

Yeah it’s interesting the repeater isn’t located nearer to the foot hills. Have not been to Adelaide for years.

1 Like

I have never been there.

I guess Grenfell St is a good spot for it with a bit of elevation from being on top of a high rise building and can cover the east and south pretty well.

1 Like

Me neither- unless you count the airport- but I hope to rectify that next year.

2 Likes

I was there in 1991, I think. I remember listening to, here I am baby by ub40, and Marah Carey Emotion I think on safm. Very random. I planned the holiday via Broken Hill with my family (even I was only a kid). Even in those days I liked to play around with the radio. I think I was concerned the am radio would not work well as it could tune into 954 am but what about 960 am? It skipped to 963 am. Ahhh the good old days. It was the first car radio we had with digital tuning.

Back on topic not sure if there were any repeaters then in 91. Without the internet I probably had no way of knowing back then.

3 Likes

It’s perfectly OK to be off topic about radio here on " Random Radio" :smile:

Re 960am, that only existed in the 10kHz spacing days. All Australian digital tune radios would then go from 954 to 963.

1 Like