Radio Stations - Music Logs

Bugger missed it again. Looks like a great mix.

3 Likes

Me too. I gotta set a reminder to check this thread on Sunday afternoons.

2 Likes

Will be repeating it at 17:00 hrs Australian Eastern this Sunday 4th June. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I put it in my diary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was a spir of the moment program tonight, random selections from the Leed Lemonade Top 40 Countdown from Sunday 16th December 1979. Played on the fresh mix dot com between 21:30 and 23:00 hrs tonight.

UPDATE - This show will be repeated on Sunday 11th June between 14:00 and 16:00 hrs Australian Eastern.

01 - Buggles - Video killed the radio star (alternative mix)
02 - Gary Numan - Cars
03 - Christie Allen - Goose bumps
04 - Nick Lowe - Cruel to be kind
05 - Pablo Cruise - I want you tonight
06 - Leo Sayer - When the money runs out
07 - ABBA - Gimme gimme gimme (a man after midnight)
08 - Fern Kinney - I’ve been lonely for so long (full length version)
09 - KC and the Sunshine Band - Please don’t go
10 - Andy Forray - Drac’s back (24 96 vinyl remaster)
11 - Eagles - Heartache tonight
12 - Dave Edmunds - Girls talk
13 - Ry Cooder - Little sister
14 - Edith Bliss - If it’s love you want (vinyl)
15 - Amii Stewart - Jealousy (single version) (remaster)
16 - Rupert Holmes - Escape the pina colada song (1991 rhino mastering)
17 - Nolans - I’m in the mood for dancing
18 - Ashford and Simpson - Found a cure
19 - Styx - Babe
20 - Kiss - Sure know something
21 - Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
22 - Van Morrison - Bright side of the road
23 - Telex - Twist a st tropez
24 - Dollar - Who were you with in the moonlight
25 - Michael Jackson - Don’t stop till you get enough

7 Likes

1979 was an interesting year. The dying days of disco mixed with the emergence of new wave and post punk.

4 Likes

Hope you can replay it :grinning:. Yeah I agree @dxnerd interesting year.

3 Likes

Exactly. Very interesting time generally. Mixed in with big bands like Fleetwood Mac, Eagles and ABBA still influential. It was quite diverse.

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely, will give it another spin on Sunday Arvo, will chuck in some extra tracks to make it a full show. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like what thefreshmix digs up, but I find it a little too random at times (and for me, that’s saying something). Would you consider going back to the ‘4X4’ decades format that your previous station ran with? Then you could have feature weekends and feature programming to complement this such as your Leed Lemonade countdowns. Just a suggestion anyway. Keep it going!

6 Likes

Let me know the time so I can tune in :slight_smile: . The full top 40 is always good.

1 Like

It’s quite a contrast from the start of the decade, 1970, and 1971 were very ordinary years in music. Some of the good stuff started in 1972 1973, musically, things started coming together around 1974 and 1975 when countdown debuted on the ABC, and from there onwards it was up, and up, and up; yes, I do confess I’m a fan of disco, hense my bias, but again this could be taken as being rather subjective.

I know they are several people who believe the 60s and early 70s was the bees all and the ends all of music. Not saying this time period was bad, but I can’t listen to this era of music too long as it very quickly becomes a yawn fest. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Out of the 1960s, 1968 and 1969 were the best years, when flower power, psychedelic, and bubblegum all converged to make what I thought was the 60s at its pure bliss. Think of the Electric Prunes, “I had too much to dream”. I don’t know what happened, did the music industry just shit it self during 1970 and 1971? I don’t know.

With the new setup, this will be somewhat tricky, i’ve morphed the old 2PR FM music archive, together with thousands of new aditions into a whole new library, basically the entire collection of tracks is now in one folder. It just seems much easier to administer, and to find stuff more quickly.

When I ran the beta version of the fresh mix in late 2019, the shear randomess of it struct me as being rather enjoyable, as in completely unpredictable. Funny how I say this as this is what I used to hate about commercial radio in the early 00s, (2SM when it still played music, and 2WS, when they mixed the decades on every song. As an early 80s teenager, I would always find the constant decade jumping rather jarring and annoying after awile.

This was the motivation behind 2PR FMs 4X4 system. It was fun for its eight years duration, but the format did get rather predictable after so long, and probably subconsciously was another reason I closed up 2PR FM during 2016.

My friend who operates the station from his end, still has the old 2PR FM library in it’s original form, so as for your suggestion about bringing back the older format, I’ll suggest it to my friend, we can most probably program it in on the weekends, and for the time being have it as a weekend thing.

I guess in the end, I’m not ruling anything out, but just aware that if I’m getting bored with something, then most probably chances are, listeners are too. Thus both of us are open to trying out various segments. He’s planning a Vintage Music weekend soon, heaps of stuff from the 20s, 30s, 40s, and early 50s. Pretty much a showcase of early boogie oogie, big band jazz, early blues, all that kind of stuff. So in the end we are just “mixing it up” in all its ways, both musically, and format wise for keeping it fresh with a sense of anticipation and unpredictability.

5 Likes

Let’s see how KIIS 97.3 compares with B105 & Nova.
This is from the Monday just gone, given that Lava stopped recording its log since then.

KIIS 97.3 - Brisbane, QLD
“100% Hits from KIIStory To Now”
Monday 5th June 2023 - 10-11am AEST

“ABC (Nicer)” Gayle
“If You Could Read My Mind” Stars On 54
“Take Me To Church” Hozier
“When Doves Cry” Prince
“Eyes Closed” Ed Sheeran
“Bad Romance” Lady Gaga
“Break My Heart” Dua Lipa
“End Of The Road” Boyz II Men
“SexyBack” Justin Timberlake
“I Am Free” Tones & I
“Hurts So Good” John Cougar Mellencamp

B105 - Brisbane, QLD
“Hits You Love From Then To Now”

“Wish You The Best” Lewis Capaldi
“Everywhere” Niall Horan / Anne-Marie
“Anti-Hero” Taylor Swift
“Let Me Blow Ya Mind” Eve / Gwen Stefani
“Miracle” Calvin Harris / Ellie Goulding
“(You Drive Me) Crazy” Britney Spears
“How Do I Say Goodbye” Dean Lewis
“Irrelevant” Pink
“I Want You” Peking Duk / Darren Hayes
“Signs” Snoop Dogg / Charlie Wilson / Justin Timberlake
“Daylight” David Kushner
“Where Did You Go?” Jax Jones / MNEK
“Eyes Closed (Lost Frequencies Remix)” Ed Sheeran
“Right Around” Flo Rida / Ke$ha

Nova 106.9 - Brisbane, QLD
“Fresh Hits & Throwbacks”

“Miss You” Oliver Tree / Robin Schulz
“Wolves” Selena Gomez / Marshmello
“Green Green Grass” George Ezra
“Anti-Hero” Taylor Swift
“Heaven” DJ Sammy
“Eyes Closed” Ed Sheeran
“Apologize” OneRepublic / Timberland
“I Like You (A Happier Song)” Post Malone / Doja Cat
“Padam Padam” Kylie Minogue
“Head & Heart” Joel Corry / MNEK
“Last Night” Morgan Wallen
“Starships” Nicki Minaj
“Praising You” Rita Ora / Fatboy Slim
“Forget Me” Lewis Capaldi
“Die For You (Remix)” The Weeknd / Ariana Grande
“Remind Me To Forget” Kygo / Miguel

3 Likes

Kiss and B105 aren’t too awful. Definitely a lot of overflogged songs but a good selection of them at least. Nova’s one is just pure snoozefest, but that’s standard at this point for those stations.

Kinda weird how all three of them played some variation of “Eyes Closed” in the same hour period but I guess Ed is a good artist for kind of those middle-of-the-road AC stations.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I mean by them only playing over-flogged older songs.

“If You Could Read My Mind” Stars On 54
“Hurts So Good” John Cougar Mellencamp

I literally hear Hurts So Good every time I stray onto 97.3

Meanwhile, I am impressed they played Take Me To Church.

6 Likes

Please refer to my last updated playlist posting a few posts above, I’ll be repeating my December 1979 special today between 14:00 and 16:00 hrs Australian eastern on the fresh mix dot com. Afterwards, my friend will present a yearly 1997 special, apparently tonight on the phone he noted that he is still preparing it, so expect to hear anything from all mainstream music to a heap of obscurities, with a heap of weird stuff between, he is rather quite adventurous with his taste, more so then me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They’re still playing the same over flogged songs that they were playing 5 years ago when I stopped listening to them :-1:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if they still play Africa / Toto, which they seemed to play twice daily from when they launched 20 years ago.

4 Likes

Commercial radio forever comfortable in it’s own little crappy eco-system, that will never change - the protective species.

Anyway. I have another chart mix coming up on Sunday from 14:00 hours Australia Eastern Time. For two hours, I’ll be playing random selections from my Leed countdown from the week ending Sunday 22nd June 1986, on The Fresh Mix dot Com.

Then from 16:00 hrs, my friend will be playing three hours of tracks from 1996.

01 - Erasure - Oh l’amour (Mute)
02 - Boys Don’t Cry - I wanna be a cowboy (Legacy)
03 - Crowded House - Mean to me (Capitol)
04 - Mint Juleps - Only love can break your heart (Stiff)
05 - Heart - These dreams (Capitol)
06 - Genesis - Invisible touch (special remix) (DJ Paul T vinyl master) (Virgin)
07 - Eurythmics - When tomorrow comes (RCA)
08 - Queen - A kind of magic (EMI)
09 - Billy Joel - Modern woman (CBS)
10 - Joe Cocker - Shelter me (Liberation)
11 - John Taylor - I do what I do (Parlophone)
12 - Lou Reed - No money down (RCA)
13 - Robert Palmer - Addicted to love (single edit) (island)
14 - ZZ Top - Rough boy (WEA)
15 - Laurie Anderson - Language is a virus (Warner)
16 - Big Audio Dynamite - E = Mc 2 (CBS)
17 - Sly Fox - Let’s go all the way (Capitol)
18 - Pseudo Echo - Living in a dream (EMI)
19 - Patti LaBelle - On my own (duet with Michael McDonald) (WEA)
20 - Call - I still believe (great design) (Elektra)
21 - David Lee Roth - Yankee rose (Warner)
22 - Baltimora - Living in the background (single version) (Columbia)
23 - Jackson Browne - In the shape of a heart (Elektra)
24 - Joe Jackson - Right and wrong (A&M)
25 - Van Halen - Why can’t this be love (Warner)
26 - Uncanny X Men - I am (CBS)
27 - Dan Seals - Bop (EMI)
28 - John Cougar Mellencamp - Rain on the scarecrow (Mercury)
29 - Madonna - Live to tell (radio edit) (Sire)

5 Likes

I finally caught one at last! So far so good. :+1:

3 Likes