Radio Stations - Music Logs

I get what you mean, there are a few questionable songs from both stations being played that could honestly be slotted out for a newer or underplayed hit instead. I agree with the songs you already said but there are also a few others…
Bad Liar and Sicko Mode IMO are a little too old to be in Ash London Live’s Trending 10… there are so many other choices…
Sweet But Psycho and Waiting on both stations, really should have been played in this time slot, 20 weeks ago when both these songs came out.
I Wanna Know and Remind Me To Forget on Nova… I really don’t know what to say about these songs being played now? Didn’t both of them come out in May/June last year?

I hate I Wanna Know with a passion because they have played it to death and is still on high rotation. I switch stations every time it comes on. But I actually don’t mind the Kygo song Remind Me To Forget and like hearing it still.

But in general, I hate the way it takes them so long to pick some songs up and then they don’t know when to drop them.

Right now Rita Ora is the Most Played song but that song was big about two months ago. Not now. Others include Marshmello/Bastille Happier, George Ezra Shotgun, Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper Shallow, Post Malone Better Now. They should be played sparingly now.

They should be playing Sam Smith/Normani Dancing with a Stranger, Khalid Better, Hilltop Hoods Leave Me Lonely, 5SOS/Julia Michaels Lie To Me, David Guetta/Bebe Rexza/J Balvin Say My Name, Khalid/Disclosure Talk, Charlie Xcx/Troye Sivan 1999, Lauv/Troye Sivan I’m So Tired.

To celebrate Smooth being number one here is playlist.

Can’t Stop The Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
Hungry Eyes by Eric Carmen
Rule The World by Take That
Three Little Birds by Bob Marley / The Wailers
Xanadu by Olivia Newton-John
One And Only by Adele
What A Fool Believes by The Doobie Brothers
Celebration by Kool And The Gang
Let’s Stay Together by Tina Turner
Everything She Wants by Wham!
The Best Things In Life Are Free by Janet Jackson / Luther Vandross
Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac
Hey, Soul Sister by Train
Red Red Wine by Ub40
Chains by Tina Arena
Is This Love by Alison Moyet
Valerie by Mark Ronson / Amy Winehouse
How Do I Live by Leann Rimes
I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder
Dreams by The Cranberries
Raspberry Beret by Prince / The Revolution
Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars
Black Velvet by Alannah Myles
La Isla Bonita by Madonna
I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston

3 Likes

To keep the ratings “cheer” going here is 2CH’s log.

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle
Beatles - With a Little Help From My Friends
Simon & Garfunkel - I Am a Rock
Alicia Bridges - I Love the Nightlife (Disco ‘Round)
Dusty Springfield - Look of Love
B J Thomas - Hooked on a Feeling
Olivia Newton John - A Little More Love
Carole King - Will You Love Me Tomorrow
Temptations - Ain’t Too Proud to Beg
Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
Reo Speedwagon - Can’t Fight This Feeling
Ted Mulry - Falling in Love Again
Gerry & the Pacemakers - Ferry Cross the Mersey
Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)
Leo Sayer - Moonlighting
Paul Simon - Kodachrome
Eagles - Desperado
Elton John & Kiki Dee - Don’t Go Breaking My Heart
Ringo Starr - Photograph
Dionne Warwick - I’ll Never Love This Way Again
Seals & Crofts - I’ll Play for You
Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)
Kenny Loggins - Celebrate Me Home
K.C. & the Sunshine Band - (Shake Shake Shake) Shake Your Booty
Linda Ronstadt - Ooo Baby Baby
Johnny Preston - Running Bear
Four Tops - I Can’t Help Myself
Marbles - Only One Woman
Del Shannon - Runaway
Elvis Presley - His Latest Flame
Ben E King - Spanish Harlem
Boyce & Hart - I Wonder What She’s Doing Tonight
Mamas & Papas - California Dreamin’
B J Thomas - Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes of the Broken Hearted
P J Proby - Hold Me
Association - Cherish
Simon & Garfunkel - Homeward Bound
Cliff Richard - All My Love
Cliff Richard - Do You Want to Dance
Earth Wind and Fire - Fantasy

Obviously both easy listening stations , it would great if they could merge playlists.

2 Likes

Smooth are clearly repositioning into an 80s gold based format to try and block as much of WS and GOLD as they possibly can. Justin Timberlake and Allanah Myles are two examples. They aren’t as comfortable with the 60s and 70s oldies as they were back in the day. 2CH might be getting a bit excited by the prospect of winning those listeners back to AM.

That 2CH playlist is terrific for my music taste.

1 Like

For me 2CH wins, just the fact it live and local (its not always about the music). the smooth presenters feel fake sometimes. I wish 2CH would play a bit of wider variety of 60s and 70s music. They don’t use the term “easy” anymore. From my posts from “Its time” on the community radio station HHH in Hornsby show, there are some great songs they don’t play from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I don’t expect them to play the heavy medal hits of the 70s but maybe some more obscure hits.

2 Likes

I like the 2CH list but I think they should gradually harden up a bit towards what 4KQ are playing. Maybe not go as classic rock as KQ but a bit more in that direction.

3 Likes

You’re describing 2CA there and yes, I think they should move in that direction too.

2 Likes

Thought i’d check on how Triple M Aussie is sounding, and to see whether the playlist has changed since launch on January 26:

Triple M Aussie
’All Australian, All The Time’
6th April 2019
4:50pm - 5:50pm (AEDT)

Ana’s Song (Open Fire) - Silverchair :+1::+1: (Aussie Digital used to play this)
Harry - Kelsey Karter
Reasons - John Farnham :+1:
Fader - The Temper Trap (got frequent airplay when originally released, haven’t heard it in a while)
Man Overload - Do-Re-Mi
Clarity - Polish Club
It’s Only Natural - Crowded House
Cold Cold Change - Midnight Oil :+1:
Do You Remember - Jarryd James
In The Capital - Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever
In My Youth - Noiseworks
Don’t Lose It - The Living End
Suicide Blonde - INXS
Money - Lime Cordiale
Touch The Fire - Icehouse :+1:
This Boy’s In Love - The Presets

Overall, a pretty solid playlist with no songs I hate. There’s also some stuff which doesn’t get played often at all.

6 Likes

Nice mainly that they’re playing lesser-played tracks of the bigger artists. For instance, how much more boring would it be if that list had Straight Lines, Weather with You, Beds are Burning, Take Me Back and Great Southern Land instead. That’s the kind of stuff these music stations can and should do, dig a bit deeper for some tracks - you can still play the Oils and INXS, just be a bit more creative

5 Likes

Exactly :+1:

What I would like to see from Auntie is an intelligent adult music station. I would simply take all the music that’s played on ABC Local Radio and create a station from that. The result, I think, would be somewhere between commercial radio and Double J, eclectic like Rage but with a softer edge.

From the ABC radio thread (apologies for quoting myself).

I thought I’d do a dummy playlist for such station. Let me know what you think.

ABC Eclectic

Archie Roach- From Paradise
Xavier Rudd- Let Me Be
Deborah Conway- Alive and Brilliant
Takeaways- Sweet and Sour
Pink Floyd- Fearless
Alan Parsons Project- Games People Play
Van Morrison- Domino
Sarah Blasko- Flame Trees
Cold Chisel- Breakfast At Sweethearts
Squeeze- Black Coffee In Bed
You Am I- Heavy Heart
Paul Kelly- Love Never Runs On Time
Flash and the Pan- Waiting For A Train

The mix would be mostly classic tracks with the occasional newer song thrown in.

2 Likes

There has been comments about the Triple M regional stations that carry the “Feels Good” log, which is said to be getting worse by the year. Wave FM in Wollongong, owned by Grant Broadcasters, is another such station, in which it plays much more new music, with only 1-2 songs from the 80s per hour.

The question, which is better or worse? Triple M regional or Wave FM?

Thanks to Lava, we can find out, by taking a sample hour from this afternoon.

Monday 24th June 2019
1-2pm AEST

105.7 Triple M - Albury, NSW
"Music That Makes You Feel Good"

“Dancing In The Dark” Bruce Springsteen
“Runaway Train” Soul Asylum
“Nothing Breaks Like A Heart” Mark Ronson/Miley Cyrus
“Like Wow - Wipeout” Hoodoo Gurus
“Fresh Eyes” Andy Grammer
“Lido Shuffle” Boz Scaggs
“Love That” Seaforth
“Hanging By A Moment” Lifehouse
“A Million Dreams” Pink
“Don’t Stand So Close To Me” The Police

Wave FM 96.5 - Wollongong, NSW
"The Illawarra’s Best Music"

“Promises” Calvin Harris/Sam Smith
“Chemical Heart” Grinspoon
“Count On Me” Bruno Mars
“Never Really Over” Katy Perry
“We Will Rock You” Queen
“Castle On The Hill” Ed Sheeran
“Happy” Pharrell Williams
“Me!” Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie
“Drops of Jupiter” Train
“Easier” 5 Seconds of Summer
“Blue Sky Mine” Midnight Oil

As much crap as people give for the following, and the fact that it’s generic across the wider network, I think the Triple M regional stations have a better playlist than Wave FM, as they at least play a bit more older music from before 2000s. Heck, I think even New FM, which has a similar positioner to that of Wave FM, has a better playlist than Wave FM! :open_mouth:

1 Like

That Wave FM list is truly awful.

2 Likes

Yes, I prefer the Triple M Albury list there.

Wave is a Hit-lite.

1 Like

That Wave playlist makes Triple M look like gold.

2 Likes

I haven’t listened to Wave FM in years and that log proves it’s a waste of time. What a crock.

1 Like

That’s how I’d describe the Geelong offering on 95.5 which I believe is also of the Wave fm ilk

That’s correct. K-Rock is part of the same company that owns Wave FM: Grant Broadcasters. Their sister station, Bay 93.9, at least has a real adult music format, much like how Wave FM used to sound (and got higher ratings with it compared to now).

Here’s one from this morning to get an idea on how it compares to Wave FM.

Bay 93.9 - Geelong, VIC
Tuesday 25th June 2019 - 11am-12pm AEST

“20 Good Reasons” Thirsty Merc
“Ironic” Alanis Morissette
“If I Can’t Have You” Shawn Mendes
“Barbados” The Models
“What About Us” Pink
“Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?” Rod Stewart
“Love Somebody” Maroon 5
“Save Tonight” Eagle-Eye Cherry
“Wild, Wild West” Escape Club
“Show No Mercy” Mark Williams

To me, that’s a much better playlist than Wave. Given that the Melbourne stations are very well received across much of Geelong & surrounds, Bay 93.9 provides a good musical alternative to Gold 104.3 & Smooth.

4 Likes

Yep agreed that playlist from Bay, despite being fairly unexciting, craps on Wave.

Wave just seems to be getting worse with the newer girly pop. Had a chuckle at the token Katy Perry in that list.

2 Likes