Radio outside of Australia - Whats good?

Still too mainstream for the hispters of Portlandia, though.

Wow , they actually play acdc and a couple of rarer Bruce Hornsby and the range tracks ! Thatā€™s like mixing smooth and triple m together :slight_smile:. However to defend Sydney radio, perhaps WSFM would do that tooā€¦ But its a good start. Thanks for the tip.

Playing ā€œThe Ravenā€ by the Alan Parsons Project right now so gets a :+1: from me.

1 Like

Theyā€™re sixth in a large market in a band around 5% with the fourth and fifth placed stations. Theyā€™re doing fine, with or without the hipsters.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve listened to them heaps! Awesome unique formatā€¦I love the show Unrest.

Another really cool unique format is a station in Missoula called 103.3 The Trail (KDTR).

Check it out, itā€™s worth it: http://trail1033.com/

Would love to know your thoughts.

1 Like

Just checked out their just played tracks. Pretty impressive !

Huge kudos to 710 ESPN LA for their coverage of Kobe Bryantā€™s death this morning. Live and local with calls even coming from Australia. I checked out what I believe is the usual-higher-rating/ā€˜heritageā€™ sport station KLAC for comparison and although they were covering it it was just the national Fox Sports Radio feed - still with commercials and in-show commercial readouts which seemed a bit off at this time, especially since ESPN LA has gone through the last few hours with hardly any interruptions except for station promos.

3 Likes

Did they make any mention of this?

Seems to be absent from ABC and commercial radio coverage in Aus.

Today and for the whole public grieving process, thereā€™s a lady in her mid 30ā€™s who whilst still a teenager suffered one of the most horrible violations of her freedom and body that anyone could endure and still be alive. Likely her trauma from that era has resurfaced now in 2020.

I make no apologies for mentioning this seemingly ā€˜airbrushedā€™ fact from his history. I have no family who has suffered similarly, but if you have even an ounce of empathy, youā€™ll understand.

3 Likes

Spent a couple of weeks in UK recently and enjoyed the usual suspects - Magic, Absolute and Radio Caroline.

I did spent a lot of time driving and listening to BBC R2 and think Iā€™ve fallen in love with it again. I have been critical that theyā€™ve gone too ā€˜youngā€™ and obscure with the playlist but I think Iā€™m getting used to it. Thereā€™s a certain feel to it. Speaking to a few older friends over there and theyā€™re still glued to it.

I find Iā€™m streaming it, Absolute and Magic at work in equal amounts.

Radio 2 still do play older stuff too. Currently listening to Sounds of the 70s which is an early hours of the morning show.

I find the overnight shows on Magic, Absolute and Radio 2 quite engaging with live announcers and news bulletin, along with lots of music.

Again, much better than Australian radio for me.

6 Likes

My working from home companionā€¦ Overnight UK radio

3 Likes

You can listen to a free preview of SiriusXM https://player.siriusxm.com/ but you cannot sign up due to geoblocking.

SiriusXM has been weird with their geoblocking usually only targeting Australia with it (as far as I know). Odd that theyā€™ll let you listen.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s strange, that the first time Iā€™ve seen it usable in Australia (Without a VPN).

1 Like

Iā€™ve started to listen to UK radio during my work from home adventures - mixing it up between Absolute Radio, Virgin Radio and Radio X.

Itā€™s made me enjoy radio again

4 Likes

Great choices. I also recommend giving Radio Caroline a try too.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been listening a lot to Virgin this week while working from home and really liking it. They seem to have tweaked it a bit. Some websites describe the format as Hot AC some as Rock/Alternative and to me itā€™s a cross between the two. Loving it.

4 Likes

Yeah, after the first few weeks just doing podcasts and shuffling my own music, Iā€™ve started streaming Absolute Radio, occasionally flipping to Virgin if thereā€™s a particularly bad song.

I certainly enjoy Absolute a lot, and being night time means it is a good balance of talk breaks/ads and music.

About my only complaint is that thereā€™s extremely high rotation of the small number of brand new tracks they drop in, thereā€™s got to be some songs Iā€™ve heard 10 times this week. Their general song selection is great.

Virgin I havenā€™t listened to as much, they feel very similar stations - if you didnā€™t have the station ids I couldnā€™t tell you which was which from the music.

Iā€™m using the app version of that radio-uk site screenshotted above - does anyone know of a better Android app for UK streaming radio?

3 Likes

Yeah they are very similar stations but thereā€™s a slight difference in the overall tempo of the music sometimes. Virgin leans a little bit softer but only slightly. I use the Radio-uk app as well but also the Absolute Radio app itself is pretty good. Although that makes it harder to flick over to Virgin.

1 Like

Radiofeeds.co.uk has links to all the streams

4 Likes

The difference Iā€™ve noticed is that Virgin is a little more Pop then Rock - but its really close. Does the UK have an equivalent to the crossover reports that we see here in Australia, it would be interesting to see how close they are.

Yeah, they really push those new tracks - I was surprised to see that theyā€™ve launched a new radio station for 2020s music, 4 months into the decade.

2 Likes

This website is good: http://comparemyradio.com/stations

Unfortunately, Virgin Radio is not listed there.

2 Likes