Radio History

B105 in Brisbane back in 1997 I think simulcast a John Farnham concert that may have been at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre. Was on 7 and B105.

1 Like

You might be referring to the Jack of Hearts concert? Seven aired that one on November 24, 1996.

To the best of my knowledge, that particular concert was also simulcast on 2DayFM in Sydney…and probably other Austereo stations at the time.

And I remember not long after that, 2DayFM (and presumably other Austereo stations) also simulcasted Crowded House’s “Farewell to the World” Concert that was held at the Sydney Opera House, which aired on Ten.

3 Likes

That sounds about right! I was still in single digits and obsessed by John Farnham so had the video and audio tape of both concerts until I moved house 8 years ago and they went in the bin. Should have bloody kept them!

4 Likes

Triple M in Melbourne would have been still EON FM at the time.

1 Like

My favourite memory of a presenter being drunk on-air is from way back in 1983, when Mike Carlton was drunk on his 2GB breakfast program. At least one advertiser phoned 2GB that day to pull their ads, but everyone quickly moved on!

Source: SMH, 9 August 1983.

2 Likes

Can’t remember if I’ve posted these or not. Came with our family car at the time - 1982 Commodore. We’re these lists common and/or easy to find?

12 Likes

Interesting to see the mess that Melbourne was in. I knew that PBS shifted from 107.7 to 106.7, but never knew of ABC FM being .2 out of place (now 105.9) - and what about 3MBS? (now 103.5)

1 Like

There was a bit of a restack of Melbourne FM in 1987/88.

3PBS went from 107.7 to 106.7
3ABC went from 105.7 to 105.9
3MBS went from 93.7 to 103.5
3EON went from 92.3 to 105.1 (and became 3MMM)

Made room for 3JJJ on 107.5 plus 2 new frequencies assigned for AM conversions: 101.1 and 104.3.

92.3 then allocated to future community station 3ZZZ

3FOX and 3RRR the only Melbourne FMs not to move

6 Likes

and of course the EON > MMM move was only made possible by ABC vacating 105.5.

On the subject, am I correct in thinking DMG were originally awarded 91.5 for the licence that would end up becoming Nova (3MEL), but was changed to 100.3 to avoid interference from ABNT3 Launceston?

4 Likes

That’s my recollection. Plus 3YYR in Geelong was on 100.3 and had to move to 94.7(??) to accommodate Nova.

I think the plan was to assign 91.5 then 100.3 but the ABNT issue caused them to go 100.3 then 91.5

4 Likes

Just dug this up from the ABA’s May 2004 update (pg. 11) which appears to confirm this:

The ABA has removed a special condition that restricted the operation of three Melbourne FM radio services in the direction of Tasmania.

The three services are the commercial radio service due to be allocated later this year on 91.5 MHz and existing Melbourne community radio services 3TSC on 89.9 MHz and 3SYN on 90.7 MHz

The three services were restricted due to the operation of the ABC television service on VHF channel 3 from Mt Barrow, Tasmania. The restriction was imposed because of possible mutual interference between the three radio services (which are all within the frequency range covered by VHF channel 3) and the ABC service. However, as the ABC service ceased operation in November 2002, the restrictions to the three radio services in Melbourne are no longer required.

Would’ve been bloody annoying for SYN FM, which officially launched in January 2003, two months after ABNT3 moved off the channel

1 Like

That is a great find!

The only errors on it that I can spot are

2NUR Newcastle has never been 103.9 to my knowledge, always 103.7

I’ve never known 104.1 Darwin to be 8CAR, was 8TOP back then to my recollection.

And I thought Perth had 6ABC back then (on 97.5) - it’s not listed.

And re the Melbourne restack - 3GCR Churchill (now at Traralgon) also had to move to 104.7 to accommodate 3MBS

3 Likes

The old Dick Smith catalogues used to have radio and TV stations in its “data” section.

I just dug out the 1983 catalogue which is the earliest one I have. It has 8TOP in Darwin on 104.1. No idea what 8CAR was, maybe a proposed call-sign before the station began?

Not sure if 6ABC in Perth was on air in 1982. Initially I think ABC FM only opened in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide in 1976 with other cities to come later. Perth had it by 1983 at least.

4 Likes

That’s a great find. Thanks for sharing

3 Likes

4AK is local from 6-9am for breakfast with a mix of 80s to now with 80s to 00s been the main skew… between 9am-10am it is the 9 o’clock rewind where it is all classics from the about 1976-1990.

Rest of the day is a direct sat feed from New FM Newcastle, and they are slipping in a few 1978/79 tracks of late to

5 Likes

Does anyone remember the old 4SUN, which was the predecessor of Rebel FM? I vaguely remember the website but didn’t get to listen to it. The 4SUN txs converted to Rebel some time in the early 2000s (by 2003 at least, 97.1 at Stanthorpe was Rebel). The 4BRZ txs came later.

According to my 1999 ABA book, 4SUN 90.5 was licensed to serve Rathdowney rather than Beaudesert, so I’m guessing they toed the remote area line a little closer than Rebel and Breeze (Rathdowney is in a deep valley).

1 Like

Yes, I remember it, I was living on the Gold Coast in the late 90s, ID was “Your Station, SUN FM” … the music mix was quite varied, being a solus station… It’s signal on 90.5 was strong in the Beaudesert area, in full stereo on a car radio there.

There also a transmitter for the Hinterland region on 99.5, which had a bit of fortuitous coverage into the Gold Coast metro area for a while, though not to the extent that it was a fully fledged alternative to SEA or GOLD.

2 Likes

Yes I remember. The studios were in Beaudesert. The arcade as far as I’m aware is the ‘Sun FM Arcade’ still and used to have all the STL and dishes on the roof and a large Sun FM logo outside the building.

I found it to have a more Classic Hits format. I think they also got to Chinchilla before the Rebel rebrand.

I thought they were called Rebel originally, then Sun and back to Rebel?

2 Likes

SGoogle seems to suggest the logos are still on the building !

2 Likes