Radio Data System (RDS)

I did! It was a good trip, apart from being flagged down by a stationary police car in Lithgow!

I didn’t know DXing whilst driving was illegal! Just kidding, it was just a random breath test, and I passed!

6 Likes

I think I passed you today lol, and saw the HWP pulling over someone in Lithgow. Was on the way back from a tech visit to MMM/HIT Orange for work.

3 Likes

Was it a white Mazda 6? Around 3pm?

1 Like

Yes, definitely around 3pm. And it was a sedan, but didn’t make note of the make/model haha it was probably you! Ah the trouble we get ourselves into doing harmless DXing :joy:

3 Likes

It keeps me awake when driving! The Mazdas have a rotary tuning dial on the centre console right next to the drivers seat that makes it a breeze to DX on the fly.

6 Likes

God squad from Coolum

6 Likes

Both 91.9 Sea Fm and 92.7 Mix Fm CT are currently 2mins fast

3 Likes

Long PS and RT+ on Breeze and Rebel with updated TEF software - the PS scrolls.

5 Likes

With the updated software I noted that SCA Brisbane stations had RT+ but it had no data; AFAIK they have had this for many years. Regionals didn’t have RT+.

Salt 106.5 however had RT+ fully implemented.

4 Likes

RT+ enabled stations on my end:

Light 89.9 - NO DATA

Joy 94.9 - Item.Title / Item.Artist
(TEF: Same data as RT. RDS Spy: NO DATA reported) (Also transmitting 11A)

Hit 96.9 - Item.Title / Item.Artist - signal too weak

3SER 97.7 - NO DATA or signal too weak

Fox 101.9 - Item.Title / Item.Artist
(TEF: Failed/partial reporting of items. RDS Spy: Correct reporting of items)

MMM 105.1 - Item.Title / Item.Artist
(TEF: Failed/partial reporting of items. RDS Spy: Correct reporting of items)

5 Likes

They used to have it. The thing about SCA & RT+ from the capital city stations is that the Group 11A/12A RT+/iTunes flag is only sent out once at the start of each song, so one needs good reception to ensure RT+ is displayed reliably & regularly. I’ve just confirmed this again with 104.1 2DAYFM Sydney.

2 Likes

Upon reading about Item Toggle Bit and group 3A, I’ve updated my previous post with stations transmitting group 3A, along with tags.

It’s possible some results are incomplete, but with data being broadcast only once per song, if even that, it’s testing my patience. Not to mention that’s a rather unreliable method of broadcasting data.

3 Likes

Not sure why SCA are sending the RT+ data so infrequently, except to say that TMC data has a higher priority.

103.2 Hope FM & 99.9 SWR transmit their RT+ data (Grp 3A & either 11/12A data) every 2-3 seconds & display correctly on the TEF.

There could be a problem with the current formatting of the Group 2A RT song & artist info with it displaying on the TEF at the moment in relation to Triple M Sydney. It is displaying correctly within RDS Spy.
Not sure about 2DAY FM or Alive 90.5 at the moment. Will check back later.

2 Likes

Update

Also found the following

Sea FM 90.9 RT+ with artist and title working.

96five Family RT+ with artist and title working - seems to pick up the data quickly (like Salt)

B105 and 4MMM - have briefly seen the artist/song but doesn’t seems to say on for long with TEF.

3 Likes

Further to earlier posting with TEF firmware v2.00.8:
90.5 Alive 90.5 is displaying RT+ correctly
I have so far encountered on the TEF with 2DAY FM the RT+ Artist Tag not being populated with the Artist Info.
And for whatever reason 2DAY FM (& maybe 2MMM?), at least from what little monitoring I’ve had time for today, hasn’t been populating the RDS RT field with much song artist & title info, it’s mainly just other messaging, hence little opportunity for RT+ displaying. :man_shrugging: :confused:

2 Likes

add to that Rebel and Breeze all services have RT+ working properly too

4 Likes

Nabbed some local RDS while out west in St George

8 Likes

Long PS for Breeze Wide Bay. no RT+ detected. Long list of AFs.

5 Likes

Likely reception related. There is no EON, PIN or AF on Wide Bay 102.5/106.7

4 Likes

Whilst tuning into the SWR FM In-Phase program noted there’re running a new RDS RT message:

Love SWR? Donate to help keep us on air! swr999.com.au/donate

4 Likes