Radio Data System (RDS)

Yes, I’m not transmitting RDS1 LPS, I’ve only added RDS2 station logo, everything RDS1 stays the same as it was.

My RDS encoder recommends the station logo file be 3kB in size, I managed to get it to 4kB in size & yes it won’t decode immediately.

I’m not really expecting much or any changes to RDS1 reception, though it may take a little longer to decode in weaker signal areas, or you might need to be closer to the transmitter before it decodes.

According to my RDS encoder documentation, when RDS 2 is enabled using 1 extra sub-carrier, the RDS sub-carrier on 57kHz will drop to not quite half what it was, & the amplitude ratio between the 57kHz & 66.5kHz sub-carriers is 10:11, & according to various experiments they have done, when the RDS 57kHz sub-carrier is at 2.7kHz the 66.6kHz RDS2 sub-carrier will be at about 3.0kHz & that’s about optimal value for seamless RDS2 file reception at the majority of the coverage area.

I was running RDS at 5% so that’s 3.75kHz, it’s now at around 2.7kHz or 3.6%, so as you can see it’s now lower in volume than it was, I may boost that back up which will also make the RDS2 level higher, but then that takes out of the audio, keeping the transmitter within the 75kHz deviation limits.

Using RDS Spy to check it actually works, the station logo took about 30 seconds to decode at the studio, a weaker or more distant receive would take longer to decode without errors.

5 Likes

Just going through the last of my RDS/Radio log notes from last week.
I noted new 99.1 XLFM Mt. Selwyn with RDS, heard between Albury & Holbrook, NSW.
I think this would be the closest XLFM/Snow FM transmitter to the Hume Hwy.

RDS PS was: XLFM96.1 & no RT
I’ll add this to the RDS list later this afternoon.
Other RDS observations from last week have now been included in our RDS List :slight_smile:.

Vision FM was noted on the odd frequency of 88.4 from Euroa, Vic. Mono & no RDS.

4 Likes

Good find!

Was that with the TEF or on the car radio?

Cause if the latter, I was wondering if the PS was generated from the car radio’s memory with an earlier reception of the main 96.1 signal perhaps (based on the PI code)?

As all other XL relays I’ve seen usually have the local frequency reflected in it’s RDS eg. XLFM1073 at Jindabyne, XLFM92.5 at Bombala etc.

4 Likes

Yes it was car radio.

Gosh. Thanks for the heads-up on that.
Well now you’ve got me thinking. Yes I have had likely initial fringe area/tropo enhancement reception from XLFM96.1 in the vehicle & I do have that entry still stored in the vehicle’s pre-set bank of memories, so yeah, highly likely just the PI code resolved given what you’ve told me & the vehicle likely populated a stored PS from the matching PI code.
I’ll wipe the PS from the RDS list & just keep the PI code.
Greatly appreciate your feedback on this. :clap:

As I was driving at the time I didn’t get to try the TEF & didn’t have the pre-plan time on this trip to consider such reception either…
Perhaps @captaincupcake or another local or traveller on same route can try for the RDS decoding of Mt. Selwyn’s 90.3 & 99.1MHz outlets at an opportune time in the future with a TEF or with RDS Spy or similar?

4 Likes

Also some interesting choice of frequencies there by the ACMA given 90.3 JJJ Bendigo and 99.1 3NE Mt Buffalo can also be received on the Hume between Albury and Holbrook.

4 Likes

Interesting you mentioned that. I was actually initially trying for any RDS from 3NE Mt.Buffalo & noted the two signals (3NE & XLFM) mixing. Even into Victoria 3NE never got strong enough along the Hwy for RDS, if it still has it. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I live around the area and I can actually get 99.1 XLFM on a TEF in a number of elevated sweet spots around the Southern side of Holbrook, can confirm that 99.1 is showing the main 96.1 RDS data, signal level fluctuates depending upon the time of day and weather…but it’s clean.

Additionally from a similar vantage point, I can get SNOW FM on the main frequency as well as 90.3 repeater from Mt Selwyn…which does the same thing as XLFM and the RDS mimic’s the main frequency.

6 Likes

thanks! and welcome!

4 Likes

I wonder if Selwyn being new is fed off air?

4 Likes

Was thinking the same thing, with RDS subcarrier re-generated, given the apparent high RDS modulation level from the low signal level. :thinking:

Great first post & welcome aboard. :sunglasses:
I have another question out of curiosity:-
Is there any AF & PTYN data also carried on the RDS data feed of 90.3 or 99.1MHz?
A long press of the RED button, if the TEF has later firmware or has been updated, would show this. :thinking:

In other Sydney ARN RDS news: 101.7 WSFM has their CT (Clock Time) back in sync. :slightly_smiling_face:
Just KIIS 106.5 needing to get their CT back in sync when they have the time; a little under 3 minutes slow.

2 Likes

Not one bit at all on the Selwyn repeaters.

4 Likes

Picked up from Brisbane airport, could be from Nundah? Couldn’t get it to decode any further.

IMG_6682

4 Likes

99.1 3YVY ‘Yarra Valley FM’ have recently been making some changes to their RDS PS & RT, particularly & thankfully adding song title & artist in the correct RT field & not the PS field as previously.

At the moment the Dynamic PS has disappeared, in fact whole of PS is just blank & with RT showing messages & unusual use of fill-in '.'s with Song/Artist info.

The station would be a good candidate for Long PS with its long station name.

Here’s a sample of their recent RT messages.
I do like the message: “If its too loud, youre too old!” :rofl:

SOFT DELIGHTS … by NEW DREAM …
WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE . by Peter , Paul And Mary …
SSING CEST LA VIE … by Sonny & Cher