Radio Data System (RDS)

Great stuff!

Definitely some enhancement about tonight. Had the less frequent stuff like Braidwood FM with RDS and Power/2EC Eden, plus Triple M Kempsey fair and 2MCE Bathurst in good stereo.

Sydney and Wollongong very strong too.

4 Likes

I totally agree. Its my way of DXing since i live in apartment and its a lot of fun walking about on my balcony and waving the rabbit ears around like a metal detector and listening for the gold nuggets in radio.

3 Likes

More RDS Gold Nuggets recently unearthed.
Nice to finally confirm the PI Code & reveal the PS of OCR FM.

And below: First time remote DX reception of TR FM. Usually RPH Geelong dominates from this RX location. Note the same PI code (re logo).

5 Likes

This arrives in the post this morning
Not sure how to get the advanced RDS tho :thinking:

6 Likes

Does holding in the STB button do anything?

1 Like

Turns off the screen

2 Likes

That is a TEF model avoided for quality, so hope it works out. If long press of the band button doesn’t work, check your FW version.

It looks like v1. You’ll need to flash to v2 FW for the advanced RDS screens.

5 Likes

So far not to bad, seems to be comparable to my Ford Ranger in regards to receive pickup even on AM band

Will be at the 4QR site later today so will see how well it copes with 85kw of MF :joy:

5 Likes

Congrats on joining the TEF6686 club.
But similar to what @AJ1 said, the black version is one best avoided.

However I have not seen a working version of this model that is upgradable using the v2 firmware. :hushed:
Always best to do your research before laying out $$$.

Hints that the problem may lie with the USB controller.
Is there a work around? I don’t know.
The TEF Discord or Facebook group may know more.

From AliExpress:
This comment for this TEF Type:

everything is ok, but my radio doesn’t have CH340N USB module, so my copy is not upgradable, instead of this i have BOOT button inside called „reset”. overall quality is ok and worth price. radio module inside is correct / this is TEF

I would NOT even try to do a firmware update on this without specific instructions on how to do it for this model.

From FB group. Similar unresolved.

Unless when you connect the radio your PC via the COM port & unless your PC can see the radio & you can determine the COM port when it’s connected when I wouldn’t even consider the idea of a FW update on this, if even possible…?
Suspect it would be easy to brick this unit.
Best to do more research.
Sorry I can’t be of more help.

UPDATE: @Rob2144 posted this helpful link/post on the following thread.

6 Likes

It can really be a bit hard to know which one to get as there is not a lot of info out there on them (only really threads like this).

Whilst I got the blue square one, I also didn’t know that there was an LNA version when I bought mine, so I am a bit guilty of it as well… but also, it’s hard to know which seller is reliably selling the LNA version as I know we have one member here who thought they were getting one but didn’t.

But still, I’m very happy with the non LNA one as it’s still a big step up from the Tecsun that I was using before.

3 Likes

Yeah I won’t try to upgrade this unit.

I only really wanted something I can carry in the field and give me a bit of audio and some RDS for when doing site maintence

4 Likes

Given the review on: https://tef.noobish.eu/ it maybe/is possible but as quoted: “Quite difficult to update”. I’d suggest entirely possible with your tech skills, but would be a case of finding the right person who knows how to do it correctly & safely (and if any special equipment required etc).
The ‘OpenRadio Community’ on the Discord website/app would be the place to ask if you wish to pursue it in future. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Given the good quality one is $96 with old mates Link, might be worth well getting another one that is decent for at home :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This gave me a chuckle today… 106.1 Classic FM with RDS here in Newcastle playing The Backstreet Boys ??

Software error on the car radio when seeking down from 106.5 to 106.1, it didn’t refresh the RT info.

6 Likes

now thats a bug… although it might improve Classic’s ratings

4 Likes

Oddly enough, I’ve actually seen a similar thing happen in Sydney on 92.9 a couple of times now with the usual ABC Classic PS & audio feed, but the RT of either WS FM or KIIS’s song info on my SDR, as recently as a week or two in fact.
The fault at the TX end, as you might expect, doesn’t tend to last too long.
But has one taking a second look at the screen in disbelief & thinking WTH. :scream_cat:

3 Likes

Though in this case, definitely receiver fault as it was Sydney RT on a Newcastle frequency (at least that’s what i think it is)’

3 Likes

92.9 ABC Classic (Sydney) RDS RT has finally been restored.
Slipping CT is back too, just 17seconds slow today.

3 Likes

Have added the Helidon (Between Toowoomba and Gatton) Faith FM LPON to RDS list, PI code to be confirmed, if I have placed it in the wrong place feel free to move it

4 Likes

Updated the listing, different PI Code, guess they are trying to make the PI Code say Faith

3 Likes