Pure Gold Network

I don’t see how WS have worked that particular hour is the problem, given surveys don’t appear to go down to that level of detail.

It could be that The 80s lunch might actually be propping up the rest of that timeslot.

They do for the stations. The stations get far more information than the summary that is released publically.

they get minute incremental breakdowns.

WS is in the sights of the programmers at ARN, they believe that Smooth is what’s called “over-cooked” (rating more than it should) and they’re probably right, but WS is too narrow and moving too far away from the “gold” format now, with late 90s and early 2000s. Smooth is also being flanked on digital from Easy, which is on in my workplace constantly and to be frank, is a much better listen than Smooth, which is too dull.

WS may need to look closely at throwing away the 250-300 song rotation and really honing down on the late 70s and 80s hits that 2WS was famous for. We have a soft AC format, maybe ARN should look at the bigger “oldies” formats in the US and hone their playlist on those songs. Make it a real “gold” format again, instead of trying to get those 25-39s

2 Likes

I listened to 4KQ on iHeartRadio. Its better than wsfm. There is your possible solution. They just need to play more variety and more hits from the 60s.

1 Like

Yes, in 15min blocks

Looking at the online playlist, as well as from my brief listening last night, it appears that WS has dropped “Friday Night Express”, replacing it with just their normal playlist. Along with “80s Lunch” becoming more safer in recent weeks, it looks as thought WS is becoming more boring to listen to.

For the record, Gold 104.3 are still doing their “Totally 80s” on Friday nights & have done so since 2004.

1 Like

Thanks.

That’s a shame.

Would love to see WS do a “Totally 80s” on Fri or Sat nights.

4KQ will be playing Super Sack Of 70s Between Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve.

The giant 70s Classics, the 70s album tracks, the Brisbane-only 70s hits… plus many 70s hits you thought you’d never hear again all bound to bring back the memories!

List of hits (20 pages)

http://cdn.arn.com.au/media/7600826/santas-sack-of-70s-2016.pdf

Eight minutes between the announcement of George Michael’s death and WSFM playing one of his songs. Pretty good.

Choose Life.

3 Likes

What do you think he died of? Drug OD? AIDS?

He certainly did not die from a lack of vocal range.

In terms of “being in the moment” smooth in Sydney is playing non-stop George Michael. WSFM is playing “Rhythm of the Night” by DeBarge.

Music history is being made this hour. WSFM - wake up!

Pure Fail.

Classic Miss.

2 Likes

So Smooth have wiped the floor with WS again?

What is Charlie Fox doing? Who is pulling his strings?

1 Like

They’re reporting heart failure. Probably brought on from his years of drug abuse.

jeez a fair bit of bad taste and conjecture in this thread.

4 Likes

It’s not 1986.

3 Likes

Tell that to Derryn Hinch, remember the Kennedy debacle? Was wondering if Hinchy would break from his Senator’s holidays for a sequel. Has more dramatic effect him saying it than me typing it.

Again, it’s not 1986.

3 Likes

2005 actually. Just because it’s not to your taste doesn’t mean it won’t be said. Much worse will be said in fact.

To be honest, it hasn’t.

This morning the Sydney Morning Herald reports that streaming of George Michael’s music had risen 3158% since Boxing Day. George Michael’s two greatest hits albums are currently the top 2 selling albums on iTunes.

This highlights how irrelevant WSFM is becoming. On Boxing Day smooth launched into a few hours of George’s songs. Smooth on Foxtel also did the same thing. WSFM played one song - Faith - and then went back into their usual playlist after the 11am news.

Part of the problem was that WSFM did not have announcers working on Boxing Day whilst smooth had a live announcer.

Someone owns an FM licence in Sydney and they cannot even afford to have a live announcer on Boxing Day. It is such contempt for listeners. 2DayFM, Nova, KIIS and smooth had live DJs.

I am sure in a city of 4 000 000 people someone would be willing to host a shift on WS for a couple of hundred bucks.

WSFM should aim to be more than old music and ads. Having live announcers would be a start. Not missing the death of one of the few artists on their playlist would also be good.

Smooth’s success is no accident. Boxing Day proved it.

10 Likes