Pure Gold Network

Or on 2DAY apparently…

I don’t see your point. What’s wrong with poaching other talent…?

1 Like

The problem is all ARN does whenever they need new presenters or a new show is poach talent - they haven’t invested the money, time or energy to ‘nurture’ talent who can one day ‘step up’ and become major presenters themselves

3 Likes

Oh yeah, like how SCA have their shows ‘step up’…?

Wait…

I honestly don’t understand, especially as they don’t have a large regional network to develop talent at.

Ed Kaverlee went from Nova to SCA, just as Daniel Gawned did. Just as Dan & Maz did. Chrissy Swan went from Nova to ARN to Nova. Hughesy & Kate went from Nova to ARN to SCA.

Talent changing networks is pretty standard

5 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with talent poaching per se - as you highlighted, it’s somewhat common in the radio industry. My point is that since getting Kyle & Jackie O to join KIIS was a success, all ARN have seemingly done is poach talent left, right and center to solve all of their programming/presenter issues instead of selectively doing it whilst developing their own talent

4 Likes

With the heavy emphasis on networking on radio, particularly regional radio, where a lot of talent used to come from, it doesn’t leave a lot of options in where to source talent from.

A lot of regional stations these days only have a breakfast show and that’s it.

3 Likes

what people are missing here is that no one “poached” Christian O’Connell. all the stories i read said he approached ARN (with the help of hamish and andy).

I can’t imagine any PD tuning down someone with his track record (even if it is in another country)

2 Likes

Whatever happened to Richard Mercer? He took a break from ‘Your Song’ and never returned. A quiet retirement perhaps?

1 Like

I have been wondering that too.

I thought of him yesterday when I heard a promo on “The 80s”’ DAB station for a pop up online station for Valentine’s Day (being “I Heart You” which is going to be playing dedications all day on the 14th).

It had the most awful voiceover. I was thinking they should have given him to do that voiceover since he was very popular with “Love Song Dedications” on MIX106.5.

1 Like

Completely forgotten by Duncan and other ARN execs.

They don’t care for loyalty or long running shows. Turf and forget.

The most short sighted approach to building an audience and delivering results for clients. ARN has never understood either.

They might have rating success but are the least capable of capitalising on it.

1 Like

I think the catalyst for the ceasing of LSD on MIX was the changing formats, moving towards Hot AC with the rebrand to KIIS.

I don’t think LSD suited the WS format either.

Surprised that Smooth hasn’t taken this concept up, or has it?

3 Likes

I think it’s still “Mellow Nights” with Cameron Daddo.

Not really a LSD show, but it’s the closest there is to it in terms of the “ambience” of the show and music.

No but Easy Hits was doing a night time dedication show a while back. Not sure if it’s still on.

Indeed… after 12 years at Absolute/Virgin he was ready for a change… Duncan Campbell seemed partly responsible for luring him to ARN, but whichever way… seems he was set for Australia regardless.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that was just a simulcast of Osher’s call in show on the analog Hit network.

Ah ok.

Sizzling :hotsprings: Seventies weekend on 4KQ coming up.

2 Likes

When More FM did ‘love songs till midnight’ (M-F) it was more like an agony and heartache session… bleeding heart singles (pun intended), depressed, dumped, dateless, desperates…

People who are in love are too busy Netflixing and chilling these days to bother with dedicating Billy Ocean’s ‘Suddenly’ to anything other than a pet rat.

1 Like

So any Aussie is preferable to Christian O’Connell?

Really?

Wow… seems Australia’s cultural cringe is still alive and well in some parts.

I watched an interview he did, on YouTube, and couldn’t understand every fourth to fifth word he was saying. It is very hard to listen to someone when you have to try to work out their words. I’ll pass on trying listen to him.