Pure Gold Network

Another Sizzling Seventies weekend on 4KQ - must be seen as giving a lift in ratings - a rare chance to hear Bay City Rollers!

2 Likes

John Knox is alive and well. Retired to near Bribie Island.

Recently interviewed on 612 ABC Brisbane by one of his AIR TV alumni, Kelly Higgins-Devine along with Roly Sussex (Emeritus Professor, Language Studies) discussing the language of news.

1 Like

Must have been thinking of John Miller?

WSFM is going “all 80s” this weekend :grinning:

2 Likes

Interesting choice:

1 Like

Can’t stand him, gives me the irits.

4KQ playing 70s hits from the K-Tel record selector this Grand Vinyl weekend

3 Likes

Radio Today is reporting that Lehmo could quit Gold 104.3 breakfast, leaving Jo Stanley and anchor Troy Ellis.

Is Matt still under contract? Matt Jo and Troy redux?

Further to the post above axe is set to continue at ARN with Jo & Lehmo next on the chopping block.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/gossip-queen-gold-loses-its-shine-for-jo-stanley-and-anthony-lehmann/news-story/98202365767d8e0b4ed45ebd4a38d04f

It’s now confirmed that Jo and Lehmo haven’t had their contracts renewed for next year. It’s bizaar considering that they were #1 FM breakfast in the most recent survey, but I’m guessing that the decision was made before then and contracts already signed for their replacements.

They’ve improved significantly in the ratings this year - being amongst the worst performing Breakfast shows at the start of the year, but they’ve competitive in the last few surveys.

8 Likes

I think this is the first time Jo Stanley had her radio show axed. When she hosted Fox breakfast with Matt Tilley they ended their highly successful show in their own terms.

2 Likes

It’s disappinting and I think could back-fire, they should’ve waited.

Lehmo and Gold 104.3 were very happy last week, best result in over a decade.

Yet ARN didn’t really care, Lehmo having a tongue-in-cheek stab at them “no photo on file of us obviosuly”.

Similar to SCA focussing on Melbourne’s success.

I guess when networks have a market that performs good and one that performs bad, for a long time, they’ll always focus on the former :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I would imagine the decision was made before survey results were released, and it was more a bit of - shall we say karma…?

I think Lehmo’s great, but I can take or leave Jo Stanley. As far as I’m concerned, GOLD 104.3 doesn’t live or die on their breakfast show, though I think Lehmo is an asset to any network who picks him up. I might have like a Lehmo & Jane Hall breakfast show…

1 Like

It’s clearly been floated and people have become nervous from within and gone to the media.

It’s human nature.

Good leaders would avoid suggesting such destabilising own goals in the first place. ARN is light on for this leadership quality.

Has Jonesy & Amanda always had a 6am start? I swear they used to start at 5:30?

1 Like

It is an odd decision to get rid of the top rating duo from Breakfasts in Melbourne. They must be going national with Jonesy and Amanda but it’s very risky.

Even with the national TV profile of Amanda Keller, somehow I get the impression that Jonesy & Amanda wouldn’t rate particularly well in Melbourne - largely because Sydney radio personalities don’t have a great track record with success in the Melbourne market.

1 Like

Apparently not, and I doubt it would be very successful in the current climate.

Rumours have been circling for a few weeks about Lehmo’s departure so an educated guess would suggest the decision to sack them was made a while ago. The survey success was likely just bad timing. As it mentions in the article - the two hadn’t started negotiations by the start of the month, so the decision not to renew their contract was probably made at least a couple of months ago.