Pure Gold Network

That’s very true. Kim and Laurel would have ensured 973 a No 1 breakfast show out of the gates. I always found the launch of 973 very strange. It was as if they didn’t really go at it hard for fear of hurting 4KQ. It seemed a bit low key and even musically it they could have done better - b105 “lite” it was called. I think they must hold the world record for playing Africa/Toto.

I remember thinking at the time if Star 106.9/QFM had won the licence they would have done it very differently :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This all feels very familiar…

This weekend, WSFM in Sydney is doing The 80s vs The 90s weekend.

1 Like

80s should win almost every time! :grin:

1 Like

WS’s cut off is around 5-6 years, in which I’ve heard songs from 2011 on the station such as from Adele & Bruno Mars, as well as “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5/Christina Aguilera.

2 Likes

I can’t see there would be a problem if they added a selection of AC new hits.

I have heard WS play

Happy - Pharrell Williams (late 2013)

Which suggests the cut off may be less than 4 years!

Oh yes, I’ve forgotten that they also play that song on WS. :open_mouth: I know for a fact that Smooth plays that song, along with Adele & Bruno Mars, which suggests that WS are indeed in serious competition with Smooth, which the latter is rating well ahead of the former according to the previous radio ratings (the next one will be released this morning).

I can’t say I’ve listened of late, but does Gold/WS use the term “Classic Hits” anymore?

If not then no big deal that they’re now playing Bruno and Christina.

[quote=“thesub1, post:249, topic:104, full:true”]
I can’t say I’ve listened of late, but does Gold/WS use the term “Classic Hits” anymore?[/quote]

Not since late 2013/early 2014 they don’t.

Good point. After all, WS recently did an “80s vs 90s” weekend, something they wouldn’t do when they were postioned as a Classic Hits station.

I believe that WSFM/Gold 104.3 position themselves as "“Pure Gold” these days.

Although if you ask me, a song which isn’t even four years old doesn’t really fit into the category of “Pure Gold” music! :confused:

1 Like

Depends what their definition of “Gold” is. They could mean “Gold” as in precious or successful, rather than “Gold” as in golden oldies. :wink:

3 Likes

When it comes to music, I associate the term “Gold” with Classic Hits.

You could argue that “Gold” refers to the status in terms of sales, but that would seem a bit vague in terms of identifying the music format.

I know Gold FM Gold Coast plays current hits, but that would refer to geography in that case.

1 Like

Pure Gold to me implies some (very selected) newer songs also qualify, although with most music being classic hits. For example some Adele songs to me would be already “gold” as they will remain classic hits into the future. As for Happy / Williams that’s highly doubtful to be as credible in the future so I wouldn’t call that Pure Gold :).

Anyway for me the branding gives them a bit of scope to include selected newer songs that they predict will become classics.

3 Likes

This is the current iTunes chart in Guatemala
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18839021_2008229009406449_5814667636322130858_n.png?oh=f7cf9afa5abc3d8b8451d7b138ec7568&oe=599D7F0B

Random.

More like “Old”.

No. I meant posting the iTunes chart in Guatemala in this thread is quite random.

1 Like

4KQ has had a slightly different weekend - songs that almost made number one (in Brisbane).

1 Like

WS are also doing No. 1 hits over the long weekend.

Though they’ve played a number of songs that I don’t recall reaching No. 1 in Australia, such as

And We Danced - Hooters
Make Me Lose Control - Eric Carmen