Pure Gold Network

WSFM line up this week

6-9am Ugly Phil
9am-1pm Ryan
1-2pm Totally 80s with Madigan
2-6pm Steve Fitton

3 Likes

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/sen-and-cruise-1323-scoring-some-goals-together/

GFK Survey 2 results showed the Friday night AFL slots on Cruise 1323 are beating FIVEaa for All People 10+.

3 Likes

I suspect the novelty will wear off soon enough and listeners will go back to FiveAA.

1 Like

Can’t imagine Adelaide is big enough to support AFL calls on all of ABC 891, Five AA, Cruise/SEN and Triple M…. someone is going to have to bow out?

3 Likes

Christian O’Connell is doing a 48hr movie marathon where listeners must watch Groundhog Day for 48hrs straight with no sleep.

They are live streaming it all on Facebook.

4 Likes

Stampsy on air today for Totally 80s on WSFM.

2 Likes

I got a reply from WSFM re my suggestion to put the Retro 20/20 Countdown on weeknights

"Thanks for reaching out. I agree the 20/20 Retro Countdown is a great show… Aaron Stevens does a brilliant job producing and hosting the show nowadays.

As good as it is it’s designed for regional stations who have different competitive market forces that we do in Sydney. You can always listen to the show via the iHeart App wherever you are on many of our regional stations including 2ST Nowra or 2EC South Coast".

I did suggest they could create a different version of it to make it more suited to metro markets, but sadly doesn’t seem like they were interested… Surely it would be a better listen than just automated music which is what they air now from 8pm…

6 Likes

I guess at least you got a reply. But yes it doesn’t really make sense. I do wonder how some of these programming and music selection decisions are made by these operators sometimes.

6 Likes

Yes it is a great show I agree. Shame anyway I can get a scratchy signal of 2st. @dxnerd hows your 2st down your neck the woods?

2 Likes

I can get 2ST through 102.9 on the Yagi. 91.7 isn’t great down in the valley but it can be received on the hills. 2EC 105.9 is more reliable than either of the 2STs, though I need to aim the antenna at Batemans Bay (aiming north I get Orange).

4 Likes

Translation: “There are too many tracks in the 20/20 Retro Countdown that don’t fit in with what our research tells us we should play, so we’ll just stick with the same 100 or so tracks we’ve always stuck with. Thanks anyway.”

I really hope ARN keeps leaving ARN Regional to its own devices, because I’d be pretty cheesed off if the 20/20 Retro Countdown got cancelled.

7 Likes

That’s precisely what it means unfortunately. It’s such a crock though. They need to rely less on research and more on skilled and talented music programmers.

4 Likes

If it’s anything like what other networks have done, it’s inevitable that the current ARN Metro/Regional divide will one day be no more.

Quality networked programming (likely from a metro market) would always prevail.

1 Like

They pretty much already do that at night with the Christian O’Connell Show and Jam Nation packaged shows.

Only difference is that WS runs automated music instead of the 20/20 Countdown and the times that the shows are on.

7 Likes

From what I’ve heard the best bits of the Christian O’Connell show broadcast interstate is heavily edited, even from the podcast, to not be so Melbourne-centric.

Speaking of which, I’d love a national morning show, I can understand the benefit of localised content for weather and traffic, but shows like Christian O’Connell’s have universal appeal and would stand up well in most markets. I know he’s spent a lot of time building an audience in Melbourne, but do wonder if there’s ever been any thoughts on taking the “live” show national, even on a DAB+ station in markets that have them.

4 Likes

Agree, but I didn’t really find what I heard very appealing, it was just people laughing their heads off at things that were only very mildly amusing at best.

8 Likes

Yes that’s a problem with a lot of shows. The over-laughing is so annoying. Can’t stand jam nation either - it’s just so light weight and trivial.

4 Likes

If the hosts are laughing then it’s gotta be funny right?

It’s like sitting in your driveway in neutral & just flooring it……whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

See - lots of energy!

Got a little trick for you: go to a park today & run around in circles. People will stop & look at you - a bundle of energy!!

2 Likes

I’m waaaay too old to look cute doing that!

2 Likes

This is 99% of FM commercial radio in the morning and drive slots. I call such programming ‘the morning (afternoon) cretins’. What’s worse is that many stations rerun this piffle at the weekends and/or after hours.

6 Likes