Pure Gold Network

IMHO, WS is the best of the commercial FM stations in the Sydney/Central Coast/Illawarra region, particularly if one:

• Doesn’t want to listen to the endless amount of current Top 40 hits that is present on a lot of commercial FM stations that are receivable.

• Doesn’t like much Talk & Sport on a certain commercial FM station (regular readers would probably know which station I’m talking about ;)).

• Finds Smooth too “sleepy” for their liking.

4 Likes

Another Saturday afternoon in the Harbour City and WSFM has no DJ on the air. Sometimes the station feels like an iPod with 150 songs on shuffle. But with 3 1/2 minutes of ads every 15 minutes.

“Music, Station IDs and Advertisements - WSFM”

Mind you at least WS are trying to add a bit of fun to the 101.7 frequency. This week I heard “4 From the 80s”. It was introduced with a voiceover that said the four songs were from the year that Hoyts put the price of an adult movie ticket up to $10.50. I always thought that we should never have let the 80s end. And the 90s should have lasted for more than a decade.

How is the 90s supposed to start if the 80s don’t end? :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, lets rewrite the laws of space and time now.

1 Like

The 80s not ending sounds good to me.

4KQ do that a lot - they often talk about local events and even long gone restaurants and other things from the year of the music played. Particularly when they’re doing 70s they even play old commercials from that time.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Pacific Star Network

When “classic hit” stations engage the audience with flashbacks of the past - especially things that are city-centric - it is such a point of difference. This week at work I was surprised to hear two 40 something females discussing how Kyle and Jackie O were talking about Tracks (nightclub) in Epping. It was a big club in Sydney in the early 90s.

WSFM could sound so much better if it took a leaf out of the 4KQ programming book and not only played the hits of the 80s and 90s but also talked about the 80s and 90s.

Gotta go - I am off to DCMs to down a few Hahn Ice.

2 Likes

Interesting logo

6 Likes

4KQ:

All this weekend we’re playing nothing but the #1 hits from Brisbane’s Top 40 Charts of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s!

List

2 Likes

I wish 2ws can go back to 1224 am and have the same format :wink:

1 Like

I absolutely loved those 1224 2WS jingles from the early 80s… it’s among my favourite radio memories ever.

I’ve noticed that recently 4KQ changed the voice over on their news theme. It had been for many year the late John Knox and included “4KQ 693 AM”. They seem to have found a very close sound-alike. They have ditched the AM 693 and added something about being available on iHeart Radio.

To my ears it still is John Knox. The new voiceover is 4KQ News on 693AM and iHeartRadio.

No mention of DAB tho…

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that too, no mention of DAB. Would sound so much better as “693AM, on iHeart radio, and on Digital radio”

If ever there was a station that needs to promote DAB for their ultimate survival it’s 4KQ.

Especially now Triple M has Greatest Hits on DAB they’d want to be careful they don’t miss the boat.

1 Like

Another Sizzling Seventies weekend coming up from 4KQ.

1 Like

I listened to 4KQ today whilst travelling on Brisbane’s public transport network (the DAB+ version, of course). I was impressed. The playlist runs rings around Wuss FM and is closer to 2CA than the other Pure Gold outlets. Brisvegas is really spoilt for music variety, if not the weather- too hot for me!

2 Likes

It has been ridiculously warm lately for July/August.
Yes 4KQ is really good at the moment. I just wish we still had 4BH in its easy listening format of a few years ago.

1 Like

Jonesy & Amanda re-sign with WSFM for 3 more years: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/time-flies-when-youre-having-fun-jonesy-and-amanda-re-sign-wsfm

6 Likes

Another Sizzling Seventies weekend on 4KQ - must be seen as giving a lift in ratings - a rare chance to hear Bay City Rollers!

2 Likes

John Knox is alive and well. Retired to near Bribie Island.

Recently interviewed on 612 ABC Brisbane by one of his AIR TV alumni, Kelly Higgins-Devine along with Roly Sussex (Emeritus Professor, Language Studies) discussing the language of news.

1 Like