Pure Gold Network

I’ll listen this Friday as it will be the breakfast team’s final show. I wasn’t listening to 4KQ as I forgot to bring my small DAB radio to work today.
A lady rang up yesterday for the quiz and she said she will miss 4KQ ,and what station will she have to listen to in her thrift shop.If ever I went into a charity store,ie:Vinnies,Lifeline,the staff in these stores are usually middle aged women ,their main listening audience,the over 55 year olds

3 Likes

4KQ are running promos for the 6pm show on 30 June. Seems like it will be hosted by the breakfast team plus “familiar voices” and “into the night” so perhaps until midnight close?

8 Likes

Still nothing about upcoming shutdown of 4kq on 4kq.com.au

3 Likes

What will happen at Midnight? Silence until 6AM when the new licencee takes over?

Reminiscent of when 4TAB on 1008 used to shut down each night at midnight well into the 2000’s.

2 Likes

But here’s the Playlist of the Historic Last Weekend focusing on the Songs that Stopped the Brisbane Charts: https://www.4kq.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2022/06/4KQs-Number-1s-Weekend.pdf

3 Likes

https://www.4kq.com.au/entertainment/music/classic-hits-4kqs-very-last-special-weekend-25th-26th-june/

Sunday Morning from 10 be listening for ‘4KQ- 75 Years A Brisbane Icon’, a special tracing the history of Classic Hits 4KQ.

4 Likes

Please Record it just in case we miss it?

1 Like

I cant understand why ARN dont replicate these 4KQ weekends into Melbourne via Gold 104.3. By comparison, the Gold playlist is more skewed towards 80s and 90s but like other Melbourne stations - very safe.

7 Likes

It will prob be the SEN overnight show ? It will be interesting what happens. I am sure someone will record it.

Yeah same with WSFM too. It would be great to replicate a Sydney version of 4KQ. I must admit I don’t listen to WSFM much. Some people say the 80s weekends are good.

2 Likes

It’s gotten pretty safe in the last 12 months or so… not as good as it used to be.

Their “Grand Vinyl” weekends are more adventurous with the music selection.

3 Likes

Join Classic Hits 4KQ for our last very special weekend ! It’s a weekend of Brisbane Number 1 hits, from the 60s,70s and the 80s. All weekend long, the songs that topped the Brisbane Top 40 charts, and then Sunday Morning from 10 be listening for ‘4KQ- 75 Years A Brisbane Icon’, a special tracing the history of Classic Hits 4KQ.

3 Likes

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Gold rates well and is one of the most successful ARN stations.

3 Likes

Even Brisbane’s KIIS 97.3 which plays a Few 80’s and 90’s Songs on a Hourly Basis can draw Strong Ratings, Which they Came Second in the Latest Ratings with 10.8%.

3 Likes

Today’s Nine at 9 on 4KQ is “You Done Me Wrong” - a subtle dig?

Included “You’re Moving Out Today” by Carole Bayer Sager and You’re No Good by Linda Ronstadt :smile:

7 Likes

I reckon it should go silent until 6am. Would give the techs enough time to switch from ARN to SEN’s feed to sort out any problems and have a proper launch in the morning.

2 Likes

Bit hard to test if there’s any problems when it’s silent though!

1 Like

Off air checks. Studio to transmitter checks etc. Take the station completely off air to make sure everything is good to go.

2 Likes

There’s no reason for it to go silent for any period. All broadcasters deal with similar switchovers from time to time when moving studios etc.

I don’t think there would be any hard switch at the transmitter at 12am, 6am or any other time overnight.
Instead the following steps are likely:

1. The feed from SEN to the studio is setup, but not fed into the transmitter. This can be done days/weeks in advance to make sure that path works. This could be in place already.

2. 4KQ start sending their feed to SEN’s studios using a timeline or similar. Basically the same idea as when talent has to broadcast from a remote studio.

3. SEN put the 4KQ feed into the feed they’re sending to the transmitter. Either via a fader channel in a studio console or with digital switching.

4. By now, the transmitter is receiving the 4KQ feed from both ARN and SEN. The transmitter feeds are adjusted so that one of these feeds is primary and the other is backup. This can easily be done without any time off air as long as one feed is connected at all times. This can be done during the day when more techs are around given the backup feed means it’s very unlikely an problem would take the transmitter off air. The SEN feed may actually be the primary at this point.

5. At midnight SEN switch from the 4KQ feed to their own program. This could be manual or automated depending on their system (I’d say automated given the systems they have in place to run multiple sites with unique feeds that are all a different combination of programs). ARN stop their feed and the transmitter continues on using the feed from SEN.

6. Then in the days afterwards the ARN feed can be removed from the transmitter site and replaced by a backup feed from SEN.

Steps 2 and 3 could be reversed to also feed the SEN program to ARN so that a backup (via ARN) remains in place until step 6 is complete.

4 Likes

Ace took over 2UE, 3EE and 4BH during the day without any major issues or silence required.

2 Likes

Different situation. Nine still own the licence, Ace are only leasing the stations and the format remains similar.

Big difference when a music station becomes a sport station under different ownership with audio coming from a different source.

1 Like